Subwoofer displacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer displacement

One thing I have not noticed (Maybe I am blind??)
    is how much volume does a Dayton audio um18-22 displace? Need this information to play with box designs

It's 'Vd' on the spec sheet...…

You don't need the information because your software derives it by multiplying 'Sd' and 'Xmax'.

It wont ask you for 'Vd'

Comment

Very few manufacturers supply that information. B&C is one that does, shown on their data sheets as Air volume occupied by driver. For their 18TBW100 that's 0.39 cu ft/11 L, the UM18 is probably similar.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Not only that, but in a large, closed, stuffed box, the volume used by the actual driver will be way more minor (probably) than variations in its T/S parms (unless you measure your actual driver "in hand"). Even then, it won't end up being very significant.

Comment

Well pe says 3 foot net internal. And this box I made is 3.2?? Actual internal volume 20x20x17 external. So I am probably pretty damn close

Comment

I get that it can do that with Xmas and sd. But what about the volume displaced by the magnet and basket. And that is significant. I find it difficult to fathom how to design a proper enclosure without knowing that information. And since most things are designed now days with c.a.d. it would be a no brainer for manufacturers to include that data

Comment

Originally posted by Bill C View Post
              I get that it can do that with Xmas and sd.
              That's something entirely different and not what you asked about.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Close enough is good enough in this case. I usually use twice the volume of the magnet structure, which is usually a pretty simple cylinder.

Dan
                The Hurricanes
                The Baronettes
                Conneccentric
                UX3

Comment

Figure 0.2cf if you want. The box sizes are so large that it's inconsequential going sealed OR vented (as I said). Is this auto?

Comment

Working...
                  X