Speaker arrangements.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker arrangements.

Guys, following on from my last beauty about pulling apart a receiver, i have another wonderful question......

I understand if i want to recycle a set of tower speakers into a custom box, that maintaining the vertical arrangement is a must as altering this can major affect how it sounds. I'm struggling for height in keeping the order of things (refer tower speaker photo), but my big question is how much would you think offsetting a tweeter would play in the characteristics of a loud speaker? I noticed the size of the surround with the tweeter is quite larger, considering the speaker itself is only 32mm. I had thought maintain the vertical with the woofers and either offset the tweeter, or cut the surround to get it closer to the centreline of the woofers.

I dont actually know what the plastic surround does and i intend to recess the speakers anyway behind a piece of MDF (but provide a beveled edge on the hole above).

Any thoughts? If i exhaust all my options with reusing what i have, i will be buying some components to make some.

If this furniture is going on the floor, your tweeter will be pretty low. If the tower speakers have any baffle step compensation, the wide baffle on your project will affect that. They're going to sound different. An offset tweeter won't really matter that much. In my very amateur opinion, others know more.

Comment

Hey man, offsetting the tweeter will definitely do something to the diffraction response of the speaker. However, you likely will not be able to tell which parts of the HF spectrum are impacted since it looks like you are changing the height of the cabinet too. This cabinet change will be more important, since you'll be changing the position of the tweeter relative to your ears.

If you look around, most speakers are designed so that the tweeter is as close to ear level as possible when you're in the listening position. High frequency sounds are much more directional (i.e. you can tell when the sound source moves around relative to your position). Putting a tweeter close to the floor and away from your listening height is generally a poor choice if you're after the best sound.

As for the plastic surround... my guess is it's only there for mounting purposes. Doesn't appear to be deep enough or shaped correctly to be a waveguide. If you need to trim this to make it fit where you want, you're probably OK there. Just leave yourself enough material to mount it!
      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
      The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
      SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Why are you doing this? What's the purpose? If you need a shorter box, then you could make a new box with tweeter on top, then midrange,then woofer, but you should keep the same width. To keep the volume the same, just make the new box deeper. Then you could likely just re-use the existing crossover (and port if there is one). Without measurement gear, changing the driver arrangement beyond keeping the same mid/tweeter arrangement is a shot in the dark. You need to keep the baffle width and box tuning/volume/port the same as the original.
        -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
        My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
        The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

You could possibly make a test enclosure out of a cardboard box to get some idea of the sound (the bass will be way off) . If it sounds OK that way, it will most likely sound even better with a real enclosure.

I like the idea of offsetting the tweeter to get the mid-woofers closer together. The woofers may sound fine mounted sideways also, but the sound may change some as you move from side to side.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
            Why are you doing this? What's the purpose? If you need a shorter box, then you could make a new box with tweeter on top, then midrange,then woofer, but you should keep the same width. To keep the volume the same, just make the new box deeper. Then you could likely just re-use the existing crossover (and port if there is one). Without measurement gear, changing the driver arrangement beyond keeping the same mid/tweeter arrangement is a shot in the dark. You need to keep the baffle width and box tuning/volume/port the same as the original.
            Thanks guys, basically i built a biggish cabinet to fit under a tv not realising that my original idea was garbage when it came to speakers. I got some great advice before about putting the towers on its side and playing some music and yes i could notice the difference, albeit it slightly, it was/would be enough to annoy me.

BOBinGA below is why i was doing it. I built a 2m wide, 500 high TV unit. Starting to think i should just source a good 6-7inch woofer and tweeter and call it quits, i just couldnt part with the old towers i had

i doubt volume of a box isnt an issue as well, considering it is 450mm deep, might even be able to hide a small sub in there also. There will be a receiver and possibly even a centre speaker (just havent decided on centre yet)

who would have thought there was so much behind a set of loudspeakers....there i was thinking just like doing a car stereo....how wrong i was.

Comment

You could always put a couple of subwoofers in your cabinet and some MTM mains to either side of your tv.

Comment

Ok, I think I see what your plan is now. It would have helped if you had posted a link to your last thread showing your cabinet plan. But reusing the tower drivers in the new arrangement in your cabinet is an entirely new project. There is no simple way to reuse the old drivers without a total crossover redesign. The woofers and tweeters are much closer to the floor and that will totally change the baffle step compensation needed.
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Working...
                X