No announcement yet.

2018 MWAF score charts and comments...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 MWAF score charts and comments...

Project 10, "Fenrir"

Judge: 1964/1978/1983

------------Clarity: 7/7/9
    -Craftsmanship: 9/6/8
    -------Dyn Rnge: NA/5/7
    -------Originality: 8/5/5
    Sndstge/Image: 8/8/9
    ----------Tonality: 9/8/8

1964: "2.6kHz HP is low for a 0.75" dome."
    1978: "Nice Speaker System."
    1983: "Good detail. Good vocal separation.
    Very precise- focus great. Maybe a bit hot on top?
    A little thin on the bottom.
    Thanks!"

My thoughts:
    I'm wondering why judge 1964 omitted the DR score? It was just left blank. His comment also left me perplexed, as there are several 22mm domes capable of what I was giving it. I also feel he scored me rather highly.
    The second judge said it was nice without anything constructively critical, and yet was the hardest judge on scores.
    The 3rd judge scored them about how I thought they'd be. They aren't original, and craftsmanship wasn't perfect, but still good, with DR likely being their weak spot. However, I do feel they image great with good 'stage, and the top-end is very clear and open.

Who else wants to participate? I'd like to see how close 200+ was. Average came out to 7.411 for mine, so the aesthetic and DR categories really hurt my score.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

How do the notes arrive... snail mail, email...?
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Snail mail, in an envelope.
      Wolf
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Mine was also blank. Maybe he skipped it for everyone?

Following your format

Dayton audio sp37

------------Clarity: 8/7/6
        -Craftsmanship: 7/8/8
        -------Dyn Rnge: NA/6/6
        -------Originality: 8/6/6
        Sndstge/Image: 8/6/6
        ----------Tonality: 7/6/7

1964: “4.8khz is a high crossover point, but the speaker still has a nice open quality”
        1978: “well executed design. Could probably benefit from further crossover development “
        1983: “ nice sounding. Ok bass. Vocals ok. Good vocals. Bass ok. These are nice. Thanks”
        Last edited by GTPlus; 07-20-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Wow, that’s a fast turnaround. Normally it is 2-3 weeks before those come in.
          -Kerry

Comment

I've always got them in the first week, to my recollection.

Later,
            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Mine arrived today and Judge 1964 left Dynamic Range blank on mine, too. If he did that for absolutely every pair of speakers, then it won't have affected the outcome, but if he did show a score there for some but not all entries in a category, the final averages would not have been appropriate. My Cabalettas were in the under-$200 category and my average score (with that blank space) was 7.17.
              Paul

Comment

Oh Fun! I was wondering if someone was going to start a thread about scoring.
                I noticed dynamic range was left blank on mine as well for judge 1964. I must say it was exciting getting some feedback like this as this was my first time participating in the MWAF event.

Dayton Audio: "Chatterbox" SP 51

Judge: 1964 / 1978 / 1983

Clarity _______________ 7 / 7 / 8
                Craftsmanship ________ 8 / 6 / 5
                Dynamic Range _______ NA / 6 / 4
                Originality / Design _____ 7 / 6 / 4
                Soundstage / imaging ___ 7 / 7 / 8
                Tonal Balance _________ 6 / 7 / 8

Comments:

1964 - "Voiced somewhat bright."

1978 - "Impressive for it's size. Drivers well integrated."

1983 - " Nice. Great vocals on #1. Good bass! So tiny! Pulls you into the music. Great vocals on #2. Great bass. Nice! Very good overall, did all well. Great job.

Comment

My turn!

Under $200 - The SuperBees SP50 (3rd place finisher)

Clarity 7 / 7 / 7
                  Craftsmanship 8 / 8 / 8
                  Dynamic Range - / 6 / 7
                  Originality / Design 7 / 6 / 7
                  Soundstage / Imaging 8 / 7 / 7
                  Tonal Balance 8 / 6 / 8

Comments:
                  1964 - "Some excess sibilance - so seems. Voiced somewhat bright"
                  1978 - "Bold look! Great driver integration, tonal balance slightly high."
                  1983 - "Nice paint and decals!, OK vocals on #1, Very good on #1." "Good on #2, Pulls you into the music - good! Fun to listen to." "I hate this last song! But it sounds OK on these. Thanks!!"

Over $200 - SevenSixTwo Coaxials SP 20

Clarity 7 / 7 / 8
                  Craftsmanship 8 / 9 / 9
                  Dynamic Range - / 7 / 9
                  Originality / Design 8 / 7 / 7
                  Soundstage / Imaging 8 / 6 / 7
                  Tonal Balance 7 / 6 / 8

Comments:
                  1964 - "Very nice finish on the cabinet"
                  1978 - "Superb build quality, good clarity, tilted slightly too bright"
                  1983 - "Nice details, good image, good vocal" "Good vocal - Open, clear, clean, Bass - OK - Tight. Great Dynamics." "Nice! These are very good!! Thanks."

Keith's thoughts overall
                  It would seem that I need to take the top end down just a bit in my future designs. I wonder if their comments are due to the way I dip the midrange down a bit vs. going for ruler flat response? I also noticed that the SuperBees were rated higher on soundstage than the SevenSixTwo coaxes. Wonder if that's the way I toe-in the speakers working against me or not? Might have to experiment with that some more. Overall I got a giant laugh out of 1983's comments about the last song in the under $200 category! That last song was whiny and terrible!
                  Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                  Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                  The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                  SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
                  The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Originally posted by Parts Express Patrick View Post
                    Oh Fun! I was wondering if someone was going to start a thread about scoring.
                    What pair were these?
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

What pair were these?
                      Wolf
                      Hey Wolf. Mine were the tiny two way with the TCP115 /ND16.

Comment

In your opinion, did the selected test tracks have adequately high crest factor to adequately demonstrate dynamic range? I was not there, but was thinking that perhaps 1964 did not rate the DUT DR if that DUT DR was not adequately demonstrated/exercised by combination of source material and nominal playback level.
                        "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                        of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                        - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                        A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                        (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
                          In your opinion, did the selected test tracks have adequately high crest factor to adequately demonstrate dynamic range? I was not there, but was thinking that perhaps 1964 did not rate the DUT DR if that DUT DR was not adequately demonstrated/exercised by combination of source material and nominal playback level.
                          IMO, they did not, so you are probably right on that one. There was some discussion on the tracks in this thread.
                          Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what was going on with the test tracks this year? While I truly appreciate the fact this competition even exists,

Comment

Got mine yesterday

Open Unlimited Project 5, "Indy8 + MicroSat"

------------Clarity: 9/6/6
                            -Craftsmanship: 8/5/6
                            -------Dyn Rnge: NA/5/6
                            -------Originality: 6/5/8
                            Sndstge/Image: 8/6/6
                            ----------Tonality: 8/5/7

Pretty wide variances on my scores, basically:
                            1964 loved them, lots of good comments
                            1983 liked them, more good comments
                            1978 went "Meh"... only comment was "Good execution"

Overall average 6.47 (excluding the missing data for Dyn Range).

I'm quite pleased with this, being my first participation, such a cheap selection of drivers and amps driving them, and really my first bottom up passive crossover design for those MicroSats. I did that design work with OEM data from Dayton, with only some capacitor value changes based on measurements of the real things. Next project is going to be build, measure, then design crossover. That should yield even better results I hope.
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music
                            Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

It appears Judge 1964 chose not to score the Dynamic Range criterion for any and all entries. So, that would mean the average score would be determined by the divisor of 17 rather than 18. The average score that I stated for my entry was based on a divisor of 18 (as if the DR score from that judge was zero), so if 17 is used, my score would be 7.59 FWIW.
                              Paul

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                              Mine arrived today and Judge 1964 left Dynamic Range blank on mine, too. If he did that for absolutely every pair of speakers, then it won't have affected the outcome, but if he did show a score there for some but not all entries in a category, the final averages would not have been appropriate. My Cabalettas were in the under-$200 category and my average score (with that blank space) was 7.17.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X