Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your ears - A cautionary tale...

Hello everyone,

I want to share this with you - in hopes that some of you can avoid my unfortunate situation: I have lived a fun life of loud motorcycles, firearms, chainsaws, power tools, etc. The result at age 66, is really bad hearing. I got my ears tested, and the audiogram showed a big roll off starting at about 1500Hz. I still enjoy listening to music, and like to think I have a good ear for speakers, even though my audiogram says I'm not hearing the upper frequencies. I've read about how the brain can fill in for what it 'expects' to be hearing. Sounds like bullpucky to me, but it is surprising that well recorded music on a good system is still very enjoyable.

So my point is - WEAR HEARING PROTECTION! After all, this hobby rewards good ears.

+1,000,000

I'm only 42, and while I haven't been tested officially I can still hear tones generated up to about 15k. But, I've been playing music in bands and on my own for over 20 years now with mixed use of hearing protection. Now I've got tinnitus pretty bad, and have a constant high frequency tone primarily in my left ear. Most of the time it's quite ignoreable and doesn't cause me trouble, but as soon as I kick back to enjoy some music, it obscures details I remember should be there and can be quite annoying.

So it's ear protection all the time now. I knew that when I was in my 20's, but like all 20 somethings I was too dumb to take consistent action.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Here hear!

Comment

Sorry about your tinnitus - I have it too. And like you, I knew all that abuse was not good, but youth is invincible - and really dumb!!!

Comment

Hearing protection is good advice. I wear ear plugs to mow the lawn, but not with power tools. At least you can still enjoy music.

Comment

I know its not a new product and not for all situations, but Hearos hi-fi earplugs are what I use. They advertise a -12db cut in sound, evenly across the frequency range. I like that I can still have conversations, easily hear if something is wrong with the power tool I am using, etc, which makes me more likely to use them. They cut the sound enough that most normal loud activities are not a risk to your hearing. I keep them in my car so I always have them at concerts, at the woodshop, mowing the lawn, etc.

Comment

I am 61 and had a hearing test the past two years. My hearing has not changed in the last year, which is good, but I am good to about 12K on the high end,

Comment

I wear ear protection while using the table saw, router, jigsaw or sander(s). The only times I don't are when using the drill press or handheld drill.
                Paul

Comment

That's about what I do now. Wish I paid more attention to that when I was in my twenty's...

Comment

Originally posted by ohaple View Post
                    I know its not a new product and not for all situations, but Hearos hi-fi earplugs are what I use. They advertise a -12db cut in sound, evenly across the frequency range. I like that I can still have conversations, easily hear if something is wrong with the power tool I am using, etc, which makes me more likely to use them. They cut the sound enough that most normal loud activities are not a risk to your hearing. I keep them in my car so I always have them at concerts, at the woodshop, mowing the lawn, etc.
                    Thanks for that tip, at 59.75 I have not noticed any major problems. Of course my wife would disagree, but that maybe be selective hearing loss. The only time I notice is at a wedding and may have problems with conversation over the other sounds in the room. I 'm a woodworker by profession and admit I don't do enough to protect my hearing but it
                    is never too late to start. I guess I am lucky after years of loud concerts and music listening and work but it is time to save what I have.

Comment

Ditto. At 47 it seems I don't hear above 13k. I now wear ear protection with all those power tools Paul K. mentioned. I'm trying to convince my kids to protect their ears, but my 18 year old did point out the irony that I'm tellingtellin him to protect his ears yet I'm building him speakers and a subwoofer.

Comment

27 and I can hear up to 17khz in one ear. Although the tones start sounding less loud at 14khz. Not sure if it's my headphones or if that's to be expected

You can use this site to test your hearing but be very careful of the volume on your speakers/headphones.
                        http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2011/06/mosquito-ringtones/

I blame yard-work with the pressure washing machine. Although most of all Broadway in Nashville. Growing up I would always hear about peer pressure but I never thought it would be family. Bars in Nashville get very very loud. And my family can be quite insensitive.

Comment

Working...
                        X