Seeking Suggestions For Next Speaker Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Suggestions For Next Speaker Build

I am considering starting another speaker build in the next few months and I'd appreciate some suggestions. Below are some important parameters.

Cost – less than about $400 in crossover components and drivers for a pair.

Sound – I want something fairly neutral, but more importantly, a design that has been heard and appreciated by more than one person.

Bass – I want a design that doesn't require a subwoofer for decent bass.

Volume – They need to sound good at moderate and somewhat higher volume. I'm not looking for something that needs to play real loud.

Cabinet – I want something that's not difficult to build. No fancy bends or curves. Can be a tall floor design or one intended for use with stands.

I will consider most any type, 2-way, 3-way, 2.5-way, ported, sealed, or transmission line, etc., but I do want it to be a passive (as opposed to active) design.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Well, the Grand Rapids distributor has one of my kits for sale at just shy of there, called the Nephila. Box was a modified knock-down tower from PE. Bass to about 45 Hz, and dynamic too.

I think these would suit your requirements quite well.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Wolf. I'll definitely consider the Nephilas.

I've worked with the F5 and found the dynamics and midrange very pleasing. I imagine the F6 characteristics are somewhat similar.

I haven't worked with any ribbons or AMTs, so that aspect of the Nephilas is appealing.

Comment

These would fit your budget, TriTrix MTM TL

https://www.parts-express.com/tritri...-pair--300-702

Comment

Thank for the TriTrix suggestion. I had forgotten about that kit.

Is there one of Paul Carmody's designs that might be a good fit as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian B View Post
            Thank for the TriTrix suggestion. I had forgotten about that kit.

Is there one of Paul Carmody's designs that might be a good fit as well?
            The Classix II or 2.5 (2.5 floor standing speaker) could work too, all depends what you want from your speakers. I've built the Classix II and the Tritrix MTM vented version and they both sound great in different ways.

The Classix have deeper bass, but that's possibly because I couldn't build the Transmission Line version of the Tritrix due to space limitations. On the other hand, the Tritrix have a slightly clearer mid range due to the different woofer (DC130 compared with DC160). I find the Tritrix more suited for jazz and classics but the Classix better for pop/rock.

The Tritrix have a simpler crossover, if that's an issue.

Both designers are magicians and deserve our unending thanks.

Geoff

Comment

The Amiga might suit you as well, Brian. Same cabs as I used for the Nephila, except unaltered. He also had one never published called the PET, using the same cab and a SS 18W/8545K and the BG Neo3, and that as a great sounding design. Paul does great work!

Another might be Scott Sehlin's "Indium 7", which was also very nice sounding.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Paul Carmody's Speedsters.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I looked briefly at the Speedsters some time ago. However, I'm pretty sure they would not deliver the bass response I'm after without a subwoofer. (Healthy bass without a sub is one of my requirements).

Comment

What tooling do you have?
                    Also, do you prefer floorstanders or cabinets?
                    Any particular sound?

I think anything from Wolf, Paul Carmody, or Jeff Bagsby would sound really great.
                    The Overnight sensations sound rich, buttery, and round. A little loss of details compared to the Quarks, but not in a bad way.
                    The Quarks have nice soundstage, musicality, microdetails, but less bass (obviously) and breaks up at obnoxiously higher volumes for lower frequencies.
                    However, I'm one of the less experienced newbies.

On my short list-- working on S2000's right now.
                    paul's Classix 2
                    Jeff's Continuum 2
                    Wolf's Stances (because Wolf is a badass, and overall great guy).

Comment

Originally posted by Brian B View Post
                      However, I'm pretty sure they would not deliver the bass response I'm after without a subwoofer. (Healthy bass without a sub is one of my requirements).
                      Apollo MT

Or better yet, cut all unnecessary spending for a month, or have a garage sale, etc. to come up with an extra $150 to build a pair of the Apollo MTMs.

Comment

Those Apollo designs seem appealing and I will definitely consider the MTs and perhaps the MTMs, (along with some of the other suggestions).

I do most of my listening in medium to large rooms (200 to 300 sq. ft.), and don't really care for the sound of smaller speakers in those rooms. They simply sound small and thin to me in that environment. To my ears, small speakers tend to take on a transistor radio sorta sound when placed in a larger room. I have heard some smallish speakers with 6 1/2" woofers that were satisfactory, but any smaller and I typically find them lacking.

As a point of reference, I've built the Overnight Sensations, and while they sound pretty good up close, they seem to be overwhelmed by a medium to large room. So for my next build, I won't be considering anything with 3', 4', or even 5" woofers. My last two builds have used 8" and 10" woofers respectively, and they have provided the foundation at the bottom end I prefer.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                          What tooling do you have?
                          Also, do you prefer floorstanders or cabinets?
                          Any particular sound?
                          In the post above, I attempted to describe the bottom end I prefer. But I'm not sure how to describe much else. I like a midrange that is natural, but not too forward.

Floorstanders or cabinets requiring stands are OK.

Tooling... Table saw, radial arm saw, router, drill press, a couple of small sanders, some clamps. Most of the basic woodworking stuff. I don't need a knock down cabinet kit, but I probably won't go for something real complex because I just don't want to spend my time on that.

Comment

With your description I'd save and go for the apollo mtm. Only one mentioned that would work in a large room with no subs.

Comment

It sounds (no pun) like the Classix 2.5 could work for you; I haven't built them yet but I've sometimes tested the Classix II in our large living room, it's about 36' x 24'm with 12' ceilings and a polished wooden floor. They can fill the room unless the record is particularly bass-heavy, in which case the DC160s reach their limits. Paul's write up says that the sound is similar to the Classix II, and you already know that many people have built them and been very happy.

Our normal speakers are Curt's 'Slapshot' MTMs with RS180P woofers (which are really 6") and they have no problem at all with the room, so it's not just a question of woofer size. The Slapshots would be over your budget but they're marvellous speakers, very high quality indeed.

If you really want 8" woofers you might have to go with a three way design and that will be more expensive or utilise cheaper parts.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X