DIY reference towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY reference towers

Been thinking about what I would build as a set of reference towers for 2 channel. There's some classic designs like the statements or sunflowers and there are some really great new designs like the solstice and Bordeaux. And I'm sure there's about a million other designs I don't even know about!

So here's the question: what diy towers would you build as your ultimate reference speakers? I'm especially curious to know which ones you have heard and how you came to your choice.

Carbon13

I don't think I've built them yet....but have quite a few pair to attempt.

One option or 2 might be:
    - Seligo; pair of HiVi M8A/TB W6-1914S/Dayton AMT1-4. Reasons: Seligo is 'select' in Latin, where I picked favorites of past projects. Bass from MAX, mids from Glucinium Amor, and treble from Nephila.
    - Francium; pair of Audax HM170Z18/PRV 5MR450-NDY (or Audax 5.25" aerogel mid)/Visaton MHT12. Higher sensitivity with likely dynamic character.

We'll see,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

For me I'd build my own. From what I've heard recently Kerry's Juggernauts, Javad's Ceramicos, Ron's Cherry (pie)s, Dan N's Scimitars. There are probably more but these are the ones off the top of my head.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        I don't think I've built them yet....but have quite a few pair to attempt.

One option or 2 might be:
        - Seligo; pair of HiVi M8A/TB W6-1914S/Dayton AMT1-4. Reasons: Seligo is 'select' in Latin, where I picked favorites of past projects. Bass from MAX, mids from Glucinium Amor, and treble from Nephila.
        - Francium; pair of Audax HM170Z18/PRV 5MR450-NDY (or Audax 5.25" aerogel mid)/Visaton MHT12. Higher sensitivity with likely dynamic character.

We'll see,
        Wolf
        Both sound great! I really like that idea of taking the best of your builds and trying to merge them. I bet that would be a really cool build.

but what about existing builds? Since I started the post I can make the rules ;) has to be an existing build you've heard, maybe not the nirvana of sound but something memorable that sticks in your mind with a "wow factor"
        Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
          For me I'd build my own. From what I've heard recently Kerry's Juggernauts, Javad's Ceramicos, Ron's Cherry (pie)s, Dan N's Scimitars. There are probably more but these are the ones off the top of my head.
          What is it about each of these designs that stands out for you?
          Carbon13

Comment

In general, drivers and designs are getting better over time.
            When I started this hobby, everyone was awed by the big "Dayton RS Towers", and lot of people built them.
            After a few years, people wanted something better.
            Then came the Statements, and after a few years... You can see where this is going....

If I was building a proven 3 way tower design, I'd go with the Ceramicos.
            Grab a cheap fare from Southwest and go listen to them in LA.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post

If I was building a proven 3 way tower design, I'd go with the Ceramicos.
              Grab a cheap fare from Southwest and go listen to them in LA.

speaker roadtrip!!!!
              Carbon13

Comment

Is there a build log for the ceramicos?

Comment

my first offerings and i'm scared at what it will take to top them .

Click image for larger version

Name:	pt72.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1383471
                  Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

Those look beefy!
                    Carbon13

Comment

It would be the Bordeaux: having built the Tritrix and Slapshots and loved the sound, a high end design from Jim and Curt would be something to hear. In Jim's write up of the Bordeaux, he said something like 'they're even better than the Finalists'.

I trust their ears and tastes, the only drawback of this design might be the size.

Geoff

Comment

Paul K's CanTiLenas are at the top of my list.

I haven't built or heard as many DIY designs as some folks here, but I have attended or participated in a few DIY events over the years.Wolf has designed some amazing speakers (the Attitudes), Jim & Curt's Statements, Bordeaux, Mavericks, etc.are all great. Interestingly, Jake P brought a smaller MT SEAS Exclusive design to DIY Iowa last Oct that I thought was just stunning. Rick Craig designed the crossover - Rick also designed the crossover for the CanTiLena.
                        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

I like Dan N's Scimitars (haven't heard them) and I would also look at Jon Marsh's Wavecor Ardent (over at htguide.com).

Comment

Wow! Those scimitars are beautiful design! That would be a challenging project indeed!
                            Carbon13

Comment

I really am happy with this design I did not long ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceramica2.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	1383492

Comment

Working...
                              X