Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peerless MTMMM and MMTMMMM - 2.5 way designs

Goals:
    - Cheap drivers (although crossover got a bit silly :-)
    - Drivers available in northern and southern hemisphere (no point having cheap drivers if shipping more than drivers)
    - Simple build - no router required - flush mounted drivers
    - Efficiency >= 89dB

All the following is simulation only (including box, baffle step and baffle diffraction) based on traced FR graphs HBT generated phase and allowing for Z axis offsets for woofers.

Looking to get feedback before finalising the "prototype" design before ordering parts.

Drivers:
    Woofer - Peerless 830657
    Tweeter - Vifa DX25TG05-04 (aka Scan speak D2604-830000)

Options:
    Design "A" - a 4 woofer MTMMM 2.5 way. Min impedance 3.6 ohms between 4KHz and 7Khz
    Design "B" - a 6 woofer MMTMMMM 2.5 way. Min impedance 3.0 ohms at 9KHz

Enclosures
    Design A - 80L vented, tuned to 40 Hz, F3 = 54Hz, Max SPL 111dB. System sensitivity ~ 89 dB (including ~ 4 dB baffle step compensation)
    Design B - 120L vented, tuned to 40 Hz, F3 = 54Hz, Max SPL 114dB. System sensitivity ~ 92 dB (including ~ 4 dB baffle step compensation)

The photos in this post are for design A

Design B:

Comment

You might want to have an optic at the design Don Radick did for a similar project on PETT, which I think was six 830657 and a VIFA tweeter. Will post the link when I can find it.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
        You might want to have an optic at the design Don Radick did for a similar project on PETT, which I think was six 830657 and a VIFA tweeter. Will post the link when I can find it.

Geoff
        +1. I remember a similar build here.

Comment

Cheers - yes I found it - the Trump Towers. I can't get the same response he got when modeling. Could be something I'm doing.

Comment

Did you run a box model? To get low 40s (vented), I'm seeing over 2cf PER PAIR! A quad needs 4cf (too huge for most peeps), and six... would be even bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bullet View Post
              Cheers - yes I found it - the Trump Towers. I can't get the same response he got when modeling. Could be something I'm doing.
              Dave, I'm a little busy right now. IIRC, the Peerless I used had a VAS of about 20 liters, and I was determined to make 6 of them fit into a medium size tower.
              Ended up using a low tuned slot port, and heavily stuffing the box. They can really crank. PM me if you need some help.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                Did you run a box model? To get low 40s (vented), I'm seeing over 2cf PER PAIR! A quad needs 4cf (too huge for most peeps), and six... would be even bigger.
                Looks ok in a 120L vented enclosure as per below - dimensions - 51 H, 9 W, 22 D - not too big :-)

Comment

Looks ok in a 120L vented enclosure as per below - dimensions - 51 H, 9 W, 22 D - not too big :-)
                  That looks great! What does excursion and port speed look like?

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Excursion and port speed attached. This puts the output @ 114 dB max. Port is 12.7cm diameter (5 inches) and 10.43 cm long. Max speed < 16 m/s (should be ok?) I don't know if Jeff B's spreadsheet allows for a flared port (assuming no).

Attached a comparison of the 4 woofer and 6 woofer designs at 80 L and 120 L enclosure sizes. As you can see - the "big boy" is quite a bit deeper (over half a metre!) And you need to allow for a rear firing port - not shown in pictures (space from wall). So only big (i.e. deep) rooms need apply!

Comment

Even if you go w/6, I'd keep the MtM up top, w/a quad of woofers down below. Generally aim to keep the tweeter near seated "ear level" (if you'll be listening to these sitting down).
                      Personally, I'd maybe go w/4 in 100L. Else I'd miss the bottom end w/out a sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        Even if you go w/6, I'd keep the MtM up top, w/a quad of woofers down below. Generally aim to keep the tweeter near seated "ear level" (if you'll be listening to these sitting down).
                        Personally, I'd maybe go w/4 in 100L. Else I'd miss the bottom end w/out a sub.
                        I have quite a high sofa. My current 3 ways put the tweeter at 823mm from the ground which is exactly ear level. the 6 driver "B" model has the height at 842mm - so not far off.

I do agree you get another ~8 Hz (F3) extension going with the "A" model with 100L enclosure, vs. "B" model @ 120L. The optimum is 280L for the B (to get an F3 ~ 33Hz), but there's no way I'm going to get approval to build them 2.5 times bigger!

The plan for the 6 was to do
                        M (2.5 way)
                        M (2)
                        T
                        M (2)
                        M (2.5 way)
                        M (2.5 way)
                        M (2.5 way)

To maintain the upper mid Ms next to the tweeter.

I have no idea how nasty vertical lobing will be :-)
                        Last edited by Dave Bullet; 07-29-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Port speed and excursion look good. You might try modeling with "heavy fill" and/or use a longer port, I found that both of those helped.
                          You can also safely model excursion using factory xmax + 15% = about 3.96 or 4.00 if you are me.

But the basic box model looks good at this point.

Um, one consideration - using a MMT up top means you will have to have some kind of 2.5 crossover there, or you will get combing.
                          You are right to keep the tweeter at ear level.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Design B:
                            How about a wtmwww 3-way?

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post

How about a wtmwww 3-way?
                              With the same 830657? hmmmm good idea.

I'm worried my .5 isn't aggressive enough )ie. should be using a higher value inductor for a steeper drop off). I don't know if there is a rule of thumb in how much attenuation a .5 design should have to be considered a truue .5 design

Comment

Working...
                              X