Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Speaker intro drug? Any suggestions for non-audiophile friend presents?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DIY Speaker intro drug? Any suggestions for non-audiophile friend presents?

    Hey Speaker gurus,

    I've been thinking about how a lot of people have no idea how a great pair of speakers sounds.
    It'd be super nice to give them a present, so that they can enjoy it themself!

    What would you think would be a good present/starting point?

    -Matt

    ps. I'm tempted to machine the cabinet in a knockdown format myself, or cast it out of stone.

  • #2
    The cheapest/simplist starting point would be Sprite separates. After that you have the Overnight sensations, Quarks, Helium, Choti, and C-notes. All are similar build costs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jake View Post
      The cheapest/simplist starting point would be Sprite separates. After that you have the Overnight sensations, Quarks, Helium, Choti, and C-notes. All are similar build costs.
      I don't think those are gonna impress to many people. I think for the average person the point of diminishing returns is something like the Mandolins, I would say the Continuums but they are bass limited.

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe a table top speaker based on the Overnight Senstaions . http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...adeleine/page3 There have been several variations of it covered in threads here. Dayton sells a Bluetooth amp board that works well with or without batteries. They sound really nice, and can be built to look great.

        Comment


        • #5
          C-note, decent quality at a budget price. Lots of video support.
          John H

          Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

          Comment


          • #6
            Classix IIs. Nothing else has the shock value of that bass from that box.

            But the C-Note is so easy....

            Comment


            • #7
              Depends on your budget, your friends' listening habits , room, listening space etc and whether you want to build the cabinet and/or crossovers or let them have a go. If the latter, a kit with a knock down cabinet might be the way to go and maybe you could assemble the crossover for them.

              My family and friends couldn't believe the quality of the sound from my first DIY project, Curt Campbell's "Slapshot" MTMs; real jaw dropping stuff.

              However, you would have to make your own cabinets and they are a high end (but mid price) design. A very generous present.

              After that, I built Tritrix and Classix II, both marvellous. The Tritrix has many options: TM, MTM transmission line or MTM vented cabinets, and PE has cabinets for each version. PE also sells cabinets for the Classix II.

              Either will make typical commercial speakers or big box 'music systems' sound pretty average.

              I haven't heard the C-notes but they get great reviews and might be more budget friendly for you.

              Geoff

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                Depends on your budget, your friends' listening habits , room, listening space etc Geoff
                +1. The best presents marry the gift to the gifted - what would fit their lifestyle/situation best. Answer Geoff's questions and your best choices will become more evident.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dld View Post

                  I don't think those are gonna impress to many people. I think for the average person the point of diminishing returns is something like the Mandolins, I would say the Continuums but they are bass limited.
                  I don't see giving out Continuims as gifts to nonaudiophile friends, unless you have money to burn.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How many people these days have a "stereo", a dedicated 2 channel system for music set up in a living room? Precious few.

                    If you want to make them something they would appreciate and use, I suggest a small pair for their PC, or a bluetooth boombox. JMHO.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by djg View Post
                      How many people these days have a "stereo", a dedicated 2 channel system for music set up in a living room? Precious few.

                      If you want to make them something they would appreciate and use, I suggest a small pair for their PC, or a bluetooth boombox. JMHO.
                      Sad truth. I would think people would be more receptive to a bluetooth speaker.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                        C-note, decent quality at a budget price. Lots of video support.
                        The original "C-notes" designed by Ron Erickson?
                        Craig

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Those would be good too, but I was referring to the C-note kit from PE. I've heard them a few times and think they sound good. They use your favorite tweeter...
                          John H

                          Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                            Those would be good too, but I was referring to the C-note kit from PE. I've heard them a few times and think they sound good. They use your favorite tweeter...
                            My favorite under $20 tweeter...
                            Craig

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jake View Post

                              Sad truth. I would think people would be more receptive to a bluetooth speaker.
                              +2. I started with the Overnight Sensations in a flat pack, but I'm sort of an audiophile already.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X