Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post

The "chosen one". Amorphous core OEM.
    Those are going to be killer speakers when you are done. Thats a very good choice of drivers IMO, and the Raal and Accuton mix well together.

Comment

ohaple I've been researching a lot of drivers over the past few months and decided on RAAL Accuton Accuton 3-way, so it's reassuring someone else came up with the same conclusions. Do you have any experience with Mundorf tweeters, I'm still slightly undecided between Mundorf and RAAL?

Comment

Originally posted by CedarWind108 View Post
        ohaple I've been researching a lot of drivers over the past few months and decided on RAAL Accuton Accuton 3-way, so it's reassuring someone else came up with the same conclusions. Do you have any experience with Mundorf tweeters, I'm still slightly undecided between Mundorf and RAAL?
        No, never used Mundorf. The only high-end tweeters I have experience with are the accuton ceramics, Raal ribbon, and the diamond dome in the B&W803D3.

The accuton ceramic tweeter is more forgiving of more music, but the Raal is more revealing. The Raal can be fatiguing depending on the music. We actually have near-identical towers, where the only difference is the tweeter and the shape of the boxes (using same volumes). The Raal is more fun for critical listening, but the Accuton ceramic is better for general listening since it is more forgiving. Due to our room limitations I don't have much advice on the difference in imaging, but the ribbon horizontal dispersion is a little nicer for listening with multiple people. Either one will integrate nicely with a ceramic mid.

FWIW: If money were no object and I could only own one, it would be the Raal. Even coming from the B&W803D3, we were hearing minor things in recordings that we hadn't heard before.

Unfortunately I didn't do a good writeup on the Raal system, but here is the log for the accuton one: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...tower-speakers

For the Raal system I think we used the Original 140-15D.

Also, besides our design, take a look at Vapor Audio Joule, it uses a very similar setup and there are some reviews around to help you assess better how the ceramic mid and Raal play together.

At 95db sensitivity for the tweeter, 89db for the Cell mid, and I think 84 for the woofer, it was also a perfect candidate for active crossovers.

Comment

There are some arguments speaking against products that has short product liftime.
          Difficulty getting a new driver when old is blown or broken.

By Seas and other old firms you get consistency of parameters, materials and physical dimentions year in and year out.
          Also have a look at total cost of speaker. Can something be saved at interconnects, amp or dsp/crossovercomponents that can be used at speaker elements instead?

I have long experience of driving standard SEAS/ scanspeak/peerless/vifa elements active (miniDSP/Behringer) with very good results. They can play very loud and clean with sharp filters.

Comment

There are some arguments speaking against products that has short product liftime.
            Difficulty getting a new driver when old is blown or broken.

By Seas and other old firms you get consistency of parameters, materials and physical dimentions year in and year out.
            Also have a look at total cost of speaker. Can something be saved at interconnects, amp or dsp/crossovercomponents that can be used at speaker elements instead?

I have long experience of driving standard SEAS/ scanspeak/peerless/vifa elements active (miniDSP/Behringer) with very good results. They can play very loud and clean with sharp filters.

Comment

Working...
            X