Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be involved in adapting the C-Note into an MTM design?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be involved in adapting the C-Note into an MTM design?

I've been hoping for quite a while that PE will release an MTM version of the C-Notes, because I think three C-Note MTMs up front and a couple of C-Note MTs in the back would make a really killer home theater system for not a lot of money.

Now, I'm not asking for a complete course in xover design or anything. There are plenty of resources for that, and I will gladly RTFM and dig into them.

What I want to know before starting: broadly speaking, is this feasible? Would the existing C-Note xover need a redesign from scratch or could it be adapted? Would that be a reasonable project for somebody new to crossover/speaker design?

To my untrained eye, it looks like the tweeter (91 dB 1W/1m 4ohms) has the efficiency to keep up with a pair of those woofers (87 dB 1W/1m, 8ohms).

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ProductDetails

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ProductDetails

Hello

There are a few threads on PETT about adapting TM and MTM crossovers, well worth a read. I'm only a beginner to this hobby/obsession, and to date have only designed things with Xsim - I haven't yet built one of them...

However, my very broad understanding from those threads is that an MTM crossover can be adapted from a TM by halving the woofer inductor and doubling the woofer capacitors, then reducing the padding on the tweeter. However, some tweaking would still need to be done.

The cabinet would need to be doubled in volume and you would need to calculate a different vent.

PETT people with infinitely more expertise and knowledge than I will be pleased to more properly advise you, I'm sure

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
      Hello
      However, my very broad understanding from those threads is that an MTM crossover can be adapted from a TM by halving the woofer inductor and doubling the woofer capacitors, then reducing the padding on the tweeter. However, some tweaking would still need to be done.
      Geoff, thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for... a quick sanity check before diving in.

Comment

I agree with Geoff, I have seen a few posts on other designs discussing the adaption of TM to MTM crossover.

Also, the designer of the C-notes says he is working on an MTM and center here.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
          I agree with Geoff, I have seen a few posts on other designs discussing the adaption of TM to MTM crossover.

Also, the designer of the C-notes says he is working on an MTM and center here.
          Ah! That's great to read. I hadn't heard Chris mention anything in ages, so I wasn't sure if the project was still happening.

Comment

Following this with interest- I'm still impressed with how good my C-Notes sound for next-to-nothing, even running off a small Lepai.

Ed Henderson

Comment

I’d also be very interested. Most likely then them into floorstanders. Unless a TMM is also in the works.

Comment

ejh2854 jcsmith0919 I have zero crossover design experience (or a router) so I'll be waiting for PE's official version. Tackling this on my own would be a stretch for me as my free time is limited; there's virtually no chance I'd have something worth sharing anytime soon if I went about it by myself. =)

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...84#post1383284

Comment

FYI...

We are currently in the process of getting a C-note MTM kit in the works. I know this is something Chris has been working on off and on for a few weeks now.
                  Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                    FYI...

We are currently in the process of getting a C-note MTM kit in the works. I know this is something Chris has been working on off and on for a few weeks now.
                    Matt, are there any plans of a "Larger" C-note type speaker using the -7" DSA-175 Woofer?

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                      FYI...

Please give us a heads'-up when it happens!

Ed Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

Matt, are there any plans of a "Larger" C-note type speaker using the -7" DSA-175 Woofer?
                        Nothing at the moment but we are always looking for more kit ideas.

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post

Please give us a heads'-up when it happens!

We will post a thread when they become available.

Your results may vary.

Comment

Working...
                        X