CSS drivers, now available at PE!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krillin View Post
    The return of the SDX7 Woofer would be nice. 11.1mm xmax (one way). And a dedicated mid to match would be sweet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC10601_op_800x605.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1384718
    This is a pretty sweet driver and so is the VWR126X. Of the two of these, the VWR126X is the more likely to return. The channels are still open for the SDX7, but we'd have to see a lot more interest in this type of driver before we could pursue it.

Dan
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

Comment

The SDX7 was a driver that was available, and then just not. Seems it was only available for a very short bit.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post

The SDX10 is actually relatively efficient compared to many 10" subwoofers, so it will do better than most with a smaller amp. It does great in 1 cu ft sealed or 2 cu ft bass reflex. If you ever want more out of it down the road, you could bump up the amp power.

The 2TD makes a great center channel and was designed with this application in mind. There are inherent issues with a 7" MTM on its side, but these are all but eliminated by a low 1600Hz crossover frequency. The tonal balance is similar to the 1TD, so those can be used as mains with the 2TD for the center or you can stick with 2TDs for the mains for higher output capability.

Dan
        Thanks for the feedback Dan. I am looking forward to the 2TD "Plans and Measurements" being published.
        "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
        The Roxster
        Swopes 5.0
        Acoustic Panels
        Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post

Thanks for the feedback Dan. I am looking forward to the 2TD "Plans and Measurements" being published.
          They are forthcoming along with everything else! Progress is slow but steady...

Dan
          The Hurricanes
          The Baronettes
          Conneccentric
          UX3

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            The SDX7 was a driver that was available, and then just not. Seems it was only available for a very short bit.
            Later,
            Wolf
            The supplier that makes these does excellent work, but their minimum order quantities are quite high. I think Bob got an introductory order quantity, then couldn't restock at the standard MOQ, so once he sold out, that was it. We would need to see quite a bit of demand for these to justify the high MOQ at this point, but it is a really cool driver...

Dan
            The Hurricanes
            The Baronettes
            Conneccentric
            UX3

Comment

IIRC, it was pretty much similar to the AA 6.5" in both build and parameters, but with a better cone. That one also was very short lived.
              Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I have a minor beef with small woofers that use phase plugs. In some specific applications where the enclosure size needs to be minimized, the phase plug provides an air leakage path through the motor which is just enough that when the driver builds up high pressure in a small box, the leakage around the phase plug can produce an audible chuffing. It's not typical to hear it from the Reference Series woofers because most applications place them in reasonably large enclosures to take advantage of their bass capability, which is one of their key selling points. But if you are thinking of taking a long-excursion driver like the SDX7 and putting it in a small box with a couple of passive radiators, you will likely be rewarded with chuffing. This is why it is not typical to use a phase plug instead of a dust cap on a subwoofer.

If the SDX7 ever returns, it should have a dust cap, and not a phase plug.
                Technology in the service of art, for the life of the music.

Comment

This is on the table, but not in the forefront right now. ...

Dan

What about the RT2? I use 3 of these in LCR and love them, a lot. Was there a technical reason / flaw this has disappeared? I didn't even know things had changed hands until few minutes ago. Went looking to see what CSS had been doing and found new ownership, site, inventory and no RT2 :(

Here's some officially provided data I captured when I originally gathered supplies before the build.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CSS-RT2.png Views:	1 Size:	35.6 KB ID:	1384941 Click image for larger version  Name:	CSS-RT2-2.png Views:	1 Size:	338.2 KB ID:	1384951 Click image for larger version  Name:	CSS-RT2-3.png Views:	1 Size:	173.9 KB ID:	1384952
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	CSS-RT2-TS.png Views:	1 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	1384942Click image for larger version  Name:	CSS-RT2-FR.png Views:	1 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	1384950
                  Last edited by Thump; 08-11-2018, 08:04 AM.
                  Why you long winded, thick headed, stubborn son of a ... oh, wait, that's me.

As always, feel free to rip my assumptions to shreds if one or more are wrong, or only half right.

PR reference material:
                  PR need at least double displacement of air (Vd) as the active woofer(s). To calculate Vd: Sd x Xmax = Vd

Passive Radiator Systems - short, tight focus including key parameters.
                  Passive Radiator Speaker Design - deep, thorough dive in many aspects

Comment

Originally posted by Rory Buszka View Post
                    I have a minor beef with small woofers that use phase plugs. In some specific applications where the enclosure size needs to be minimized, the phase plug provides an air leakage path through the motor which is just enough that when the driver builds up high pressure in a small box, the leakage around the phase plug can produce an audible chuffing. It's not typical to hear it from the Reference Series woofers because most applications place them in reasonably large enclosures to take advantage of their bass capability, which is one of their key selling points. But if you are thinking of taking a long-excursion driver like the SDX7 and putting it in a small box with a couple of passive radiators, you will likely be rewarded with chuffing. This is why it is not typical to use a phase plug instead of a dust cap on a subwoofer.

If the SDX7 ever returns, it should have a dust cap, and not a phase plug.
                    Agreed. It appears that the SDX7 was an attempt to combine a great midrange and a great small subwoofer into one driver, but unfortunately, many of the design choices that make a driver great in one regard or another are contradictory. In the end, you still end up with a driver full of compromises. It's too bad too, because I actually really like that copper phase plug.

Dan
                    The Hurricanes
                    The Baronettes
                    Conneccentric
                    UX3

Comment

Originally posted by Thump View Post

What about the RT2? I use 3 of these in LCR and love them, a lot. Was there a technical reason / flaw this has disappeared? I didn't even know things had changed hands until few minutes ago. Went looking to see what CSS had been doing and found new ownership, site, inventory and no RT2 :(
                      We have no plans to continue the RT2. It was a good driver, but Kerry and I felt it offered nothing unique in it's price range. The LD22F has the capability to cross lower with minimal distortion than any other small (<25mm) dome we know of. The LDW7, as Pete mentioned, is on par with Scan Revelators at 70% the price. The SDX10 and SDX12 have the highest output/distortion ratio of any subs in their price range. Even the APR10 and 12 have the best price/performance ratio of any passive radiators we know of. Our goal is to produce only products that outperform most if not all other drivers in some highly desired metric(s). The RT2 was solid, but did not fall into this category in our opinion.

Dan
                      The Hurricanes
                      The Baronettes
                      Conneccentric
                      UX3

Comment

... . Our goal is to produce only products that outperform most if not all other drivers in some highly desired metric(s). The RT2 was solid, but did not fall into this category in our opinion.

Dan
                        Appreciate the update, and looking forward to see how things pan out. The stated goal is compelling and ambitious. All the best with it!

At the time, near 4 years now, RT2 was an exquisite selection and match for me in parallel Esoteric LCR and certainly no regrets. They're incredible in function and reproduction, have been hammered on a regular basis while going strong as ever, and they can really crank.

I've never heard them do anything except fill the space at unbelievable volume with perfection. With ever growing progress the current generations in the same league and higher must be really remarkable.
                        Last edited by Thump; 08-12-2018, 08:28 AM. Reason: Enhanced
                        Why you long winded, thick headed, stubborn son of a ... oh, wait, that's me.

As always, feel free to rip my assumptions to shreds if one or more are wrong, or only half right.

PR reference material:
                        PR need at least double displacement of air (Vd) as the active woofer(s). To calculate Vd: Sd x Xmax = Vd

Passive Radiator Systems - short, tight focus including key parameters.
                        Passive Radiator Speaker Design - deep, thorough dive in many aspects

Comment

We have no plans to continue the RT2. It was a good driver, but Kerry and I felt it offered nothing unique in it's price range. The LD22F has the capability to cross lower with minimal distortion than any other small (<25mm) dome we know of. The LDW7, as Pete mentioned, is on par with Scan Revelators at 70% the price. The SDX10 and SDX12 have the highest output/distortion ratio of any subs in their price range. Even the APR10 and 12 have the best price/performance ratio of any passive radiators we know of. Our goal is to produce only products that outperform most if not all other drivers in some highly desired metric(s). The RT2 was solid, but did not fall into this category in our opinion.

Dan
                          Any plans to bring back the Planar1 and Planar2?
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

Any plans to bring back the Planar1 and Planar2?
                            Honestly Pete, I know very little about these drivers. There were none in inventory when we took over and I've never heard them. I don't remember a lot of conversation about them when they were available either. Based on a quick google search, it seems like they weren't very prevalent, but those who used them loved them. We'll have to look into this further. What were your impressions of them?

Dan
                            The Hurricanes
                            The Baronettes
                            Conneccentric
                            UX3

Comment

i think an all CSS threeway is in order !
                              donc

Comment

This is a pretty sweet driver and so is the VWR126X. Of the two of these, the VWR126X is the more likely to return. The channels are still open for the SDX7, but we'd have to see a lot more interest in this type of driver before we could pursue it.

Dan
                                That driver (the SDX7 Woofer) is a BEAUTIFUL beast
                                Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Working...
                                X