Too many speakers!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Paul.
    I wrote to Bill's wife, I will see if I get a response.

Comment

Hey Paul, Any possibility of stopping by and hearing some of your creations. I am in West Jefferson. A friend of mine and speaker builder gave them high marks

Comment

Living in Australia makes the shipping cost off the scale Mr K, but you make some seriously good looking - and I expect great sounding - speakers.

I've seen speakers with four figure price tags which don't hold a candle to your builds!

Good luck with the sales

Geoff

Comment

Wow, Geoff, you're making me blush but your compliments are greatly appreciated.
          Paul

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
          Living in Australia makes the shipping cost off the scale Mr K, but you make some seriously good looking - and I expect great sounding - speakers.

I've seen speakers with four figure price tags which don't hold a candle to your builds!

Good luck with the sales

Geoff

Comment

Absolutely. Send me a private email with your email address and we can set up a date and time for a visit.
            Thanks,
            Paul

Originally posted by PI10 View Post
            Hey Paul, Any possibility of stopping by and hearing some of your creations. I am in West Jefferson. A friend of mine and speaker builder gave them high marks

Comment

I'm surprised you don't have this on Reddit, Paul.

I think you've got quite a lot of admirers who would jump to buy your handiwork.
              if I had the space and need for those, I'd jump as well.

Comment

Just as an update, the Marcatos have been sold and I lowered the asking price for the RS duets.
                Paul

Comment

Another update: The Cavatinas and RS duets have been sold.
                  Paul

Comment

congrats on the sales Paul.
                    I am still hoping to speak to my friend about it, but he is in a funk and I don't think I can approach him about it yet.

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I'm sure your friend is going through a lot of suffering and stress, and thinking about speakers is unimportant.
                      Paul

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                      congrats on the sales Paul.
                      I am still hoping to speak to my friend about it, but he is in a funk and I don't think I can approach him about it yet.

Comment

Probably. On the other hand, they could be very soothing for him. Of the ones you have left, which do you think would be best for opera?

Comment

Keeping in mind that I do not care much for operatic singing, especially the soloists, the Balmoras would be better than the Cabalettas IMO, although the differences would probably not be large. I do like a lot of the operatic instrumental music, however.
                          Paul

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                          Probably. On the other hand, they could be very soothing for him. Of the ones you have left, which do you think would be best for opera?

Comment

I"m with you on that. I don't mind the male voices, but the female sopranos are irritating, like fingernails on a chalkboard. I have a patient who's wife is a mezzo soprano, and I do like her voice, in limited quantities. ON the other hand, much of the music is wonderful, very colorful and intense.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                              Keeping in mind that I do not care much for operatic singing, especially the soloists, the Balmoras would be better than the Cabalettas IMO, although the differences would probably not be large. I do like a lot of the operatic instrumental music, however.
                              Paul

From your speakers' reception at MWAF and listeners' comment, I would think they will reproduce recordings of anything very well indeed.

I find much operatic and soprano vocal music beautiful, and my favourite classical singers are all sopranos: Maria Callas, Renee Fleming, Lucia Popp to name but a few.

I think the main issues with reproducing opera, and soprano voices in particular, are the recording itself and the room in which you're listening.

On high notes, the voices can bounce around quite a bit if your listening room is too 'hard'. And if the recording was done in a reverberant hall, or church or poorly engineered, etc this can make for a rather 'echo-ey' listen.

For example, the great Beverley Sills had a rather shrill top end at times, although she had a lovely voice. I've made four pairs of speakers with three different tweeters (Morel, Dayton and VIFA) and none of them reproduce her voice well at those times.

However, the same speakers reproduce Ms Fleming's voice beautifully, so maybe the quality of the recording (or the venue, if live) is the critical thing in enjoying this music. .

Geoff

Comment

Thanks, Geoff. Other than possibly a speaker designed to be played at "11" for a rock or similar concert, I've always believed that a properly designed and implemented speaker shouldn't favor, or need to, only specific types of music.
                                Paul

[QUOTE=Geoff Millar;n1388264]

From your speakers' reception at MWAF and listeners' comment, I would think they will reproduce recordings of anything very well indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X