No announcement yet.

Too many speakers!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geoff I have the same reaction to sopranos heard in person. I simply don't like it.

Comment

There is something about the way it is sung also. I don't have nearly the same reaction to lieder, and don't have any problem with female voices in show tunes. I once had a patient who was a professor of voice at a prominent school (male), and he thought it must be something in my hearing.

Comment

Steve, the remaining 2 pairs of speakers were sold today (sorry).
        Paul

Originally posted by skatz View Post
        There is something about the way it is sung also. I don't have nearly the same reaction to lieder, and don't have any problem with female voices in show tunes. I once had a patient who was a professor of voice at a prominent school (male), and he thought it must be something in my hearing.

Comment

Paul, I'm glad to hear that all your speakers sold. You are one of the designers on here who I think could seriously make a run at mass production with your designs, based upon their quality. The new owners have a keepsake that will have much more meaning for them than something purchased through retail.
          Technology in the service of art, for the life of the music.

Comment

Thanks, Rory, your compliments are greatly appreciated. There are a lot of DIYers here (most of them?) that do everything themselves, whereas I've farmed out the crossover designs to others for my creations who deserve high praise and thanks for their contributions.
            Paul

Originally posted by Rory Buszka View Post
            Paul, I'm glad to hear that all your speakers sold. You are one of the designers on here who I think could seriously make a run at mass production with your designs, based upon their quality. The new owners have a keepsake that will have much more meaning for them than something purchased through retail.

Comment

Well it would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things!

Even if you don't like the soprano voice, do have a listen to Renee Fleming singing Joni Mitchell's "River"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWach0gBEfg

It's from one of her two 'crossover' albums (Haunted Heart and Dark Hope), she sings in her lower register, which is lower than Joni's or most other singers for that matter. I love it.

Unique among these sorts of albums, Ms Fleming actually pulls it off and doesn't try to sing popular material as 'art'.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                Steve, the remaining 2 pairs of speakers were sold today (sorry).
                Paul

Wow, thats terrific for you, I am pleased. My friend will lose out, but it just wasn't the right time to approach him. Maybe the next pair you want to sell?

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

Well it would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things!

Even if you don't like the soprano voice, do have a listen to Renee Fleming singing Joni Mitchell's "River"

https://www.youtube.com/watch'tv=bWach0gBEfg

Geoff
                  Geoff, agreed, that is gorgeous.
                  So many formally trained opera singers trying to do crossover fail miserably, because they can't seem to loosen up to suit the music, thinking mostly of jazz and blues. She does a pretty good job of letting loose here, could be better, but certainly enjoyable. And her voice didn't bother me at all.
                  It is the upper ranges that I really dislike, even Joni Mitchells when she gets up high (or when she tries to go low and cannot make it!).

Comment

I am obviously very happy and I was a bit surprised not only to sell all 5 pairs but to do so rather quickly. The only pair in the basement (and house) not being used are the canTiLenas, which I don't plan to sell (and they're quite a bit more expensive) but you never know for sure.
                    Paul

Wow, thats terrific for you, I am pleased. My friend will lose out, but it just wasn't the right time to approach him. Maybe the next pair you want to sell?

Comment

With him there is no rush. It was years ago he said he needed new speakers, but he has never done anything about it. Several times I've offered to build kits, but he wants immediate sastisfaction, except that he does nothing about it. I thought I might have been able to get him to Columbus, but who knows. If you do want to sell the Cantilenas let me know.

Comment

Working...
                      X