Meet Mohini Dey, the 22 year old bass guitar wizard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet Mohini Dey, the 22 year old bass guitar wizard

Even Stevie Vai said she plays like a M.F.
    https://scroll.in/magazine/869440/me...-zakir-hussain
    2 videos that highlight her skills

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Bolly good, Bollywood. Not quite as good as Stanley Clarke.

Comment

guess ill wait for her to show up at Bonnaroo with buckethead and the crew from oysterhead.
      i'd seriously pay a good bit of coin to see her and les claypool just jam for an hour or two

Comment

She's pretty good. I enjoyed all the musicians in the second vid. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the clip: there some great musicians out there.

Also check out Tal Wikenfield (sp?), who used to play with Jeff Beck: similar style but very solid, too, a great player.

Geoff

Comment

Yes, I have been a fan of hers for a while. But can she sing and write like Les Claypool? (Some satire on the vocal 'skills' of Mr. Claypool. But I love some of his songs, pretty funny and thoughtful words).

Back to Ms. Dey, here is another video showing her skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO8X7E6pXM

Comment

Here is another with the great Guthrie Govan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yacr_HQIbhU
              The female drummer here is pretty good too. But Steve Via is a much over-rated player, IMHO.
              Last edited by wavefunction; 08-18-2018, 08:20 PM. Reason: Sorry, that was a truncated version, Guthrie's solo was cut off. There are plenty of other video's showing his skills on the 'tube.

Comment

That was nuts, thanks! I can't say I've ever been exposed to Indian funk jazz of whatever variety that is. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                Wogg Music

Comment

Wow she's channeling her inner Gary Willis in that second vid - this is great stuff, thanks for that share.

Comment

RE: Gary Willis - He uploaded this:

Mohini grew up listening to jazz fusion bands and artists such as Weather Report, Jaco Pastorius, Yellowjackets and Miles Davis.

Background: I came across her in a search for Harpejji players. First I found A.R. Rahman* who asked Mohini to join his band:
                    “He told me that he was trying to get Tal Wilkenfeld for his band but after he heard me perform, he had to choose me,” Mohini said. “That was a big compliment.”
                    Mohini has explored genres - traditional music from India, and more recently a collaboration with the Heavy Metal band Underside

* A. R. Rahman Meets Berklee - Full Concert
                    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                    X