No announcement yet.

Wavecor - coming soon to Parts Express!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To follow up on my last post, the Wavecor SW223 and SW182 are now available in both 4 and 8 ohm variants. A little more expensive than I was hoping for, but I'm glad PE now stocks them. Looking forward to trying out the little guy someday soon.

Comment

Considering these drivers are made in China, and are mostly ferrite-based, they are a bit pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by olu78 View Post
        Considering these drivers are made in China, and are mostly ferrite-based, they are a bit pricey.
        These drivers represent some of the highest manufacturing quality and design optimization I have ever seen in a dynamic driver. The price is commensurate with the performance to be sure.

Dan
        The Hurricanes
        The Baronettes
        Conneccentric
        UX3

Comment

The pricing on Wavecor is steep, but not completely out of the realm of consideration for high end drivers. As I recall, pricing was the major hang-up in the past when Wavecor was discussed around PE's office. There's always Dayton's ND and RS series drivers to fill the need at lower prices. Hopefully Wavecor will see the light and come down off some of their high list prices; I wouldn't be surprised if the current arrangement has a MAP associated with it - not that Geoff or anyone could disclose that.

Some of the ambassadors for the brand like Pete Schumacher and others should bring their Wavecor-based speakers around to the DIYs for us to listen to; then we'd be able to decide what they are worth. I remember hearing something at AXPONA or RMAF that was Pete's work, and it was dynamite, but now I can't find the speaker -- I can't recall if it was using a Wavecor midwoofer or one of the aluminum-cone SB woofers.
          Technology in the service of art, for the life of the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Rory Buszka View Post
            The pricing on Wavecor is steep, but not completely out of the realm of consideration for high end drivers. As I recall, pricing was the major hang-up in the past when Wavecor was discussed around PE's office. There's always Dayton's ND and RS series drivers to fill the need at lower prices. Hopefully Wavecor will see the light and come down off some of their high list prices; I wouldn't be surprised if the current arrangement has a MAP associated with it - not that Geoff or anyone could disclose that.

Some of the ambassadors for the brand like Pete Schumacher and others should bring their Wavecor-based speakers around to the DIYs for us to listen to; then we'd be able to decide what they are worth. I remember hearing something at AXPONA or RMAF that was Pete's work, and it was dynamite, but now I can't find the speaker -- I can't recall if it was using a Wavecor midwoofer or one of the aluminum-cone SB woofers.
            I brought a 2-way using the composite cone WF152 8 Ohm woofer and the RAAL 70-10 to the DIY in Chicago and we brought the MTM to Axpona. I have that Chicago pair in my bedroom at the moment. Those woofers are worth every penny. Easily up there with Revelator. I’d be happy to bring them to a DIY event.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

waiting to buy a Wavecor SW168WA01

ETA?

Comment

Pricing seems pretty good - more expensive than the fancy Peerless drivers and Dayton RS - less than Epique and the higher end Morels. More importantly they sell some pretty unique drivers - I'm sure I'll be trying out the big dome tweeters in the waveguide at some point.

Comment

I agree that that their drivers perform quite nicely; I own the 182bd04's. When you consider the price of the SW223's, the SW182's, and the corresponding passive radiators, contrasted with the closest Dayton or Tymphany, the price difference is magnified. Also, observe the difference between the RS100's, featuring cast baskets and copper in the motor, vs the corresponding Wavecor's, and their stamped or glass-fiber baskets. I suppose another way to look at it, is to reference the great value the Dayton's represent. I am not here to begrudge or besmirch Wavecor. I am genuinely happy to see PE carrying the brand. It will allow more builders the opportunity to design speakers using their drivers. I also wish that amends could be made, and PE would also carry a certain brand, whose drivers are made in Indonesia, though I have been counseled that it is highly unlikely. The more variety of manufacturers PE sells, the more money they will make.

Comment

Originally posted by olu78 View Post
                    ...I own the 182bd04's...
                    I'm really interested in these - any chance you have measurements you could share?

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
                      waiting to buy a Wavecor SW168WA01

ETA?
                      Stated ETA we have now is 11/30. It could be before that, just like the first run were here early.
                      All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

Comment

Working...
                      X