Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classix 2.5 "Center Channel"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Classix 2.5 "Center Channel"

    This is a question for Paul Carmody or anyone that may have this knowledge. I was looking at the Classix 2.5 and I already own a pair of Classix 2 that are still my favorite speakers. I wanted to see if it is possible to make a Classix 2.5 as a Center Channel, perhaps turned on its side in a MTM configuration?
    Shaken, not stirred...

    Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

  • #2
    Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
    This is a question for Paul Carmody or anyone that may have this knowledge. I was looking at the Classix 2.5 and I already own a pair of Classix 2 that are still my favorite speakers. I wanted to see if it is possible to make a Classix 2.5 as a Center Channel, perhaps turned on its side in a MTM configuration?
    Good question, the Classix II are great speakers and the 2.5 should be great, too. I have the parts for a 2.5 build but have not as yet the excuse to do so: still have another project to do first.

    We do our listening in stereo so I hadn't thought about a centre channel, but apart from a new cabinet, I assume they would need a different crossover?

    Will look forward to the answer(s)!

    Geoff

    Comment


    • #3
      That's an interesting idea, you don't see many (any?) 2.5 center channels. The horizontal off axis sims much better than a standard 2 way MTM on its side. Adjusting the value of L4 and the tweeter padding might get you in the ball park.

      Comment


      • #4
        Years ago I asked Paul Carmody about a center channel to use with my classix 2 I built. He recommended his DIII refried as a center. Perhaps that might work with the classix 2.5?
        Shaken, not stirred...

        Classix II
        OS MTM's
        Digger 8 sub
        Overnight Sensations Center Channel
        Sprite Build
        Wolf's PC Speakers
        Minions III with Voxel Sub

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
          Years ago I asked Paul Carmody about a center channel to use with my classix 2 I built. He recommended his DIII refried as a center. Perhaps that might work with the classix 2.5?
          Hello

          I remember that discussion, but imagine that the sound would be a bit different to the Classix as the DIII refried used the RS28 tweeter - which is no longer available anyway.

          Geoff

          Comment


          • #6
            Sorry I'm late to this discussion. Anyway, I think the 2.5-way center channel would work fine. I say go for it.

            Paul
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

            Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
              Sorry I'm late to this discussion. Anyway, I think the 2.5-way center channel would work fine. I say go for it.

              Paul
              Paul are you saying to create a classix 2.5 mtm center or are you referring to another center channel? If you are saying to build the classix 2.5 as a mtm do I need to make any other changes?

              thank you for your input.

              Kevin
              Shaken, not stirred...

              Classix II
              OS MTM's
              Digger 8 sub
              Overnight Sensations Center Channel
              Sprite Build
              Wolf's PC Speakers
              Minions III with Voxel Sub

              Comment

              Working...
              X