Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Classix 2.5 "Center Channel"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classix 2.5 "Center Channel"

This is a question for Paul Carmody or anyone that may have this knowledge. I was looking at the Classix 2.5 and I already own a pair of Classix 2 that are still my favorite speakers. I wanted to see if it is possible to make a Classix 2.5 as a Center Channel, perhaps turned on its side in a MTM configuration?
    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
    This is a question for Paul Carmody or anyone that may have this knowledge. I was looking at the Classix 2.5 and I already own a pair of Classix 2 that are still my favorite speakers. I wanted to see if it is possible to make a Classix 2.5 as a Center Channel, perhaps turned on its side in a MTM configuration?
    Good question, the Classix II are great speakers and the 2.5 should be great, too. I have the parts for a 2.5 build but have not as yet the excuse to do so: still have another project to do first.

We do our listening in stereo so I hadn't thought about a centre channel, but apart from a new cabinet, I assume they would need a different crossover?

Will look forward to the answer(s)!

Geoff

Comment

That's an interesting idea, you don't see many (any?) 2.5 center channels. The horizontal off axis sims much better than a standard 2 way MTM on its side. Adjusting the value of L4 and the tweeter padding might get you in the ball park.

Comment

Years ago I asked Paul Carmody about a center channel to use with my classix 2 I built. He recommended his DIII refried as a center. Perhaps that might work with the classix 2.5?
        Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
        OS MTM's
        Digger 8 sub
        Sprite Build
        Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
          Years ago I asked Paul Carmody about a center channel to use with my classix 2 I built. He recommended his DIII refried as a center. Perhaps that might work with the classix 2.5?
          Hello

I remember that discussion, but imagine that the sound would be a bit different to the Classix as the DIII refried used the RS28 tweeter - which is no longer available anyway.

Geoff

Comment

Sorry I'm late to this discussion. Anyway, I think the 2.5-way center channel would work fine. I say go for it.

Paul
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
              Sorry I'm late to this discussion. Anyway, I think the 2.5-way center channel would work fine. I say go for it.

Paul
              Paul are you saying to create a classix 2.5 mtm center or are you referring to another center channel? If you are saying to build the classix 2.5 as a mtm do I need to make any other changes?

thank you for your input.

Kevin
              Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
              OS MTM's
              Digger 8 sub
              Sprite Build
              Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Working...