OT: Stupid home ownership...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Stupid home ownership...

...keeping me from digging into what's really important: building speakers I don't really need

My house was built in '55, we've owned it for 14 years now and have largely left it as we bought it besides a new roof and HVAC setup that forced our pocketbook. Meanwhile, we've ignored some nagging issues like basement dampness due to other financial priorities and pets that added to the problem. So one day last month a door to door guy hit me in a compliant mood and talked about the basement. That led to a free inspection, which led to the realization of what we already knew... that basement was going to become a bigger problem if left unchecked. So we've got that work scheduled, which involves emptying the basement so they can knock out the floor and install a drainage system + digging a 3 foot trench around the outside of the foundation to seal and stop the water before it can even get inside.

That was followed by another opportune sales call to refinance the house and consolidate debt, which will now include the upcoming basement work. Which leads to an appraisal, which means taking care of all the little cosmetic problems we've been living with for the last decade... right now! I've got under 2 weeks to paint the exterior, empty the clutter into a storage unit for later dispositioning, patch and touch up interior walls and ceilings, and clean the living h33l out of the place.

No speaker builds for you... for now. Stupid responsibilities
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Don’t ya just hate being a grown up sometimes! Your house is two years older than I am and yes, stuff that old needs some maintenance sometimes.

Taking care of where you live is the right thing to do! Just think how much more comfortable you’ll be when you get back to building in a nice sweet smelling dry basement!

Good luck and have fun! Mark

Comment

I've got this pesky thing called a "job" that keeps getting in the way of my hobby time
      Craig

Comment

The job thing is what makes my projects take so long, the house is currently stopping general casual progress. I am looking forward to a dry and reliable basement though... it's been a long time coming. That is just the beginning, this will trigger the wall re-finishing and re-carpeting effort down there, and with the space dry I could even pop up a wall to isolate my recording stuff from the general area and may even lead to a proper listening space some time.

After this, it's kitchen remodel time and whole internal house re-paint.
        Wogg Music

Comment

Dude, I feel your pain. It's been over 8 months now I've been working on getting my new garage up and in shape to get to start building stuff again. It's driving me nuts not being able to just go out to the garage and just play, ya know. In the end you know it'll be worth it, hang in there!
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, water is a severe problem for many basements. You don't want black mold, or a sinking Foundation. Also, rates have never been lower for refinance, but you don't have to do all this at once. My wife frequently reminds me of what I "should" be doing, and not my "hobby", so I can relate.

Comment

FWIW I eliminated 90% of the water from my basement when I guttered the house to prevent the run off from the roof from ending up on the ground less than 3 feet from the foundation. I eliminated the other 10% after putting down tile on the concrete floor. My sump pump hasn't come on in ten years. Prior to the gutter work I sometimes got a half inch of water in the entire basement in the spring.
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

If you haven't started work, get second opinions ... especially if you have a knowledgeable friend. Paraphrasing Bill's post: "There's more than one way to skin a cat".

Comment

Oh yeah.. there are multiple problems contributing to the moisture. We have a patio slab that has settled and graded against the foundation, our new roof has gable vents which make the gutters less effective by shooting the water over the top (they're about 1/2" higher than the height of the old roof), the gutters generally suck anyway, and I'm not positive the drain pipes to the street are in good shape. The slab is coming out as part of this work, and I think the drainage to the street will be addressed as well. The gutters remain another action for me.

Really what sold me is the block wall has some cracks developing, signalling some settling of the footers. When the dude shoved a blade 6 inches into the block through a crack that was a bit scary. They're doing a carbon fiber re-enforcement of the wall that will lock those suckers down. The other side already had the classic I beam re-enforcement in place from the prior owners.

We definitely have mold, but hopefully not toxic black variety. Once I get the moisture out I can start remediation properly.
                  Wogg Music

Comment

I hear you well. Just went through something like that, only not so many problems at once.
                    We had a home we lived in for a while, then decided to downsize. We bought another house and moved in there, and couldn't sell the previous house so we rented it for several years.
                    The original owners had added on a sun room, and evidently just used a concrete slab instead of a proper foundation. The sun room gradually began to sink, and then started to pull away from the rest of the house. A home inspection by a realtor showed a 4" gap in the roof where it joined the main structure, so it was unsaleable and we had to do repairs. A foundation company was able to excavate underneath and put down a bunch of pylons to bedrock, and we have a 25 year warranty on the work. We were then able to sell it, but that was expensive to do.
                    No mold from that, but we had flooding in the main basement due to sump failure once, and a "100 year" rain overloaded the city sewers once and the sumps could not pump into them because the pressure was too high, so it flooded again.
                    Glad to be rid of that house, but it was a nice house and well built.

Comment

Working...
                    X