No announcement yet.

Damaged speaker cabinet replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new tweeter would require a new crossover. Once more , I encourage you to check craigslist. I found several pairs of very nice old cabs on my local CL. Better than the BR-1 for less money.

Comment

When I signed up for Tech Talk, it was the first time I've signed up for any forum where I could communicate with people who have knowledge and skills that they freely share with others, so that everyone can benefit. Truly awesome! Sure, I use email, and have a Facebook account (for work ne ws only), but this forum is new and impressive to me. I appreciate that people with a lot of knowledge and experience would patiently take the time to help someone learn. I also checked out some speaker builds people have posted, and it is impressive to me the way they developed an idea, and worked it into a finished piece that not only sounds great, but looks great too. So, thanks to all of you who are willing make comments, ask questions, or offer sources of info to guide others, cause maybe one day they'll be a "seasoned veteran" that pays it forward.

Comment

Checked the local Craigslist, nothing interesting under $200 or more, locally.

Comment

Update: had a shutoff valve on a hot water line decide to come apart while nobody was home, filling the bottom of our bi-level to a depth of 3 inches before my wife discovered it. Leak sprayed over the back of the washer and filled it full with the lid closed! Anyway, lots of damage, lots to do, lots of fighting the insurance company, no money or time to fix the Sound Dynamics till the future(?).
          Last edited by Craig Oldschool; 10-02-2018, 12:47 PM. Reason: Damn you, autoincorrect!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Oldschool View Post
            Update: had a shutoff valve on a hot water line decide to come apart while nobody was home, filling the bottom of our bi-level to a depth of 3 inches before my wife discovered it. Leak sprayed over the back of the washer and filled it full with the lid closed! Anyway, lots of damage, lots to do, lots of fighting the insurance company, no money or time to fix the Sound Dynamics till the future(?).
            Same thing happened to me at my old house. Turns out, the city water pressure was above the standard causing failures. Insurance company was good though, it was fixed in a timely manner. Good luck.

Comment

Wow - you have my sympathies! Water in the wrong places can do so much damage. Hope you are back to normal in short order.
              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the support. Can't believe the washer filled up from the outside with the lid shut! Should be a good time to get rid of clutter, and the new-found space might have me rethinking my speaker needs!

Comment

^ great spirit and outlook in the face of a real out of the blue nightmare. Best of fortune getting that new mess sorted!
                  Feel free to rip my assumptions apart when wrong, or fix if close.

Passive Radiators:
                  All PR(s) Vd must be at-least double all woofer(s) Vd. Calc = Sd x Xmax to get Vd for all PR(s) and all woofer(s). A combined PR(s) Vd equal or > than a combined woofer(s) Vd is usable.
                  Woofer(s) with large Xmax vs Sd, all PR(s) with Xmax at-least double all woofer(s) Xmax is usable.
                  A PR max weight is said to be its Mms x3

PR Systems - tight focus with key parameters.
                  PR Speaker Design - thorough coverage.

Comment

Thank you, Thump, I've been stewing over the clutter in our house for a long time. Feel a little bad for my wife because most of it is her stuff, but secretly excited to get rid of some torment. Might be able to set up my system the way it should be, instead of around piles and boxes. Wait, that's what's lifting my spirits!

Comment

^ whatever it takes to push forward.

Personally I've always tried to maintain and literally use a mantra "Jim Lovell... Jim Lovell... " in times where I want to punch a hole through someone's skull, or something went wrong, especially after extreme effort and no good options exist, only "least bad option" remains.

The goal being to stay calm, refocus and get done what needs it. Hasn't always worked, but fortunately has worked a lot and saved tons of extra unnecessary damage.

Everyone needs something or someone to look up to. He's been mine for many years and always will be. No situation is too intense, including his own imminent gruesome death to make him lose his core character and principles.

That's really something to admire and aspire toward in my book.

Passive Radiators:
                      All PR(s) Vd must be at-least double all woofer(s) Vd. Calc = Sd x Xmax to get Vd for all PR(s) and all woofer(s). A combined PR(s) Vd equal or > than a combined woofer(s) Vd is usable.
                      Woofer(s) with large Xmax vs Sd, all PR(s) with Xmax at-least double all woofer(s) Xmax is usable.

Comment

As we started pulling stuff out of the rooms to sort for loss or salvage/clean, I came across my Kenwood KA 801 Integrated amp in its box on the floor in a corner. Sick feeling. Peeled the wet cardboard off the bottom, and moved it upstairs to dry for a few days. Now has a dusting of mold over the cover, so I wonder if 10% bleach solution on a damp rag would be safe to wipe the metal cover? I would remove it first, and then I could look inside for visible problems as well. Any ideas or advice or something I 'm missing?
                        Last edited by Craig Oldschool; Yesterday, 01:27 PM. Reason: Auto incorrect

Comment

Yes, 10% bleach will kill mold. However, you have to remember that It doesn’t kill mold “On Contact”! You’ll need to let it sit a spell.

I’d remove the cover, fill a laundry tub with water and bleach and let it soak a bit. Hopefully when you open it up you’ll find that only the top or bottom cover is affected. Otherwise a spray bottle, lots of paper towel and Q tips and some time should work.

Make sure it’s COMPLETELY dry before plugging it in! Good Luck, Mark

Comment

^ yep, especially on the completely dry part. Do not rush it, at all, and the thing is probably fine.

Had a $4K+ laptop get soaked in a vehicle floorboard half submerged after a 400 mile trip - didn't know anything was going on until reached home.

Bottom of the motherboard lot of green mold. Removed what I could.
                            Let it sit for a week with a fan blasting it 24/7, forgetting about it on purpose so I'd not be tempted.

End of period, fired up like nothing happened, operationally at-least. Visually, not so much.

Passive Radiators:

Comment

Ok, thanks guys, sounds promising. The volume control was replaced three times for a bad hum in the left channel till they told me they couldn't do anything to prevent it from coming back, it was a "design problem". Thought that adding preamp ins to bypass the volume pot would be doable when I had time, so it sat in the box for 15 years. Maybe since it has to be opened up, now might be that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X