Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dayton SA100 Plate Amps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dayton SA100 Plate Amps

    I have a pair of P.E Dayton SA100 plate amps. On startup one of them has a pronounced thump accompanied by a noticeable (continuous) hum. I switched ac outlets, but the issue remains. The other amp is dead silent. The offending amp's condition remains the same if it is powered on/off ,or in standby mode. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy the situation...does the amp have to be replaced?

    Thanks,

  • #2
    Originally posted by M42 View Post
    I have a pair of P.E Dayton SA100 plate amps. On startup one of them has a pronounced thump accompanied by a noticeable (continuous) hum. I switched ac outlets, but the issue remains. The other amp is dead silent. The offending amp's condition remains the same if it is powered on/off ,or in standby mode. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy the situation...does the amp have to be replaced?

    Thanks,
    Does the amplifier make the hum without any signal plugged into it? Does the hum get louder/quieter by turning the gain up? Does the amp work properly other than the hum?

    Let me know.

    Scott K.
    Parts Express Tech Support
    All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

    Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

    Comment


    • #3
      Scott...... the amp seems to work fine despite the reported symptoms. This evening I'll do your suggested troubleshooting checks and advise. Thanks for your assistance.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by M42 View Post
        Scott...... the amp seems to work fine despite the reported symptoms. This evening I'll do your suggested troubleshooting checks and advise. Thanks for your assistance.
        No problem, that's what I'm here for. If you find the hum goes away with the RCA's out of it, a ground loop isolator would be the easiest fix. If it doesn't go away, or if it follows the gain, there may be something more serious wrong, but what exactly it is would require us to look at it.

        Cheers.
        All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

        Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

        Comment


        • #5
          The hum persists with the speaker wires (from the amp) removed from the plate amp. Cycling the gain control on the plate amp has no effect on the hum level.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by M42 View Post
            The hum persists with the speaker wires (from the amp) removed from the plate amp. Cycling the gain control on the plate amp has no effect on the hum level.
            Just making sure that I'm understanding, but you are using the high level input, not the RCA input, is that correct?
            All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

            Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes,that's correct...the high level inputs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by M42 View Post
                Yes,that's correct...the high level inputs.
                Did the hum just start? Was the amp working prior to the hum?

                Is it a 60 Hz hum? There's lots of simple tone generators on the net. Just set one to 60 Hz on your PC speakers and compare to the amp's hum.

                If it's 60 Hz, it's likely a power supply supply issue ... bypass caps top the list of p[probabilities.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes, I believe it's a 60hz hum. I noticed it the first time I plugged it in. The amp does work...it just emits an annoying hum audible during quieter passages of music, and of course when it's off or in standby mode. My D.I.Y skills are rather limited, but I'll see if the case can be opened. Thanks for your reply.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wouldn't recommend opening it, as that will void any warranty you have on it.

                    If you plug it into a totally different circuit in the house, is the hum still there?
                    All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

                    Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I may have missed it, but is the hum coming through the speakers, or is it a mechanical hum originating in the amp?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by M42 View Post
                        Yes, I believe it's a 60hz hum. I noticed it the first time I plugged it in. The amp does work...it just emits an annoying hum audible during quieter passages of music, and of course when it's off or in standby mode. My D.I.Y skills are rather limited, but I'll see if the case can be opened. Thanks for your reply.
                        So one amp had hum and the other was DOA on first use? And the one actually hums with the power switch off? (or did you mean only hum with switch set to standby and the amp is in standby mode)?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The hum is coming from the left speaker only ( that's the offending amp). The hum is present when the amp is switched off, in standby mode, or switched on.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X