"Golden Unicorns" - Low Profile, On-Wall, 2.1 System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djg View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I was suggesting was using this center channel design as the left and right speakers in your plan. It's not a soundbar. A soundbar has LCR all squeezed together. This is just a well designed speaker with the right shape and baffle step for your application.

I hope you find the OSMTM has enough bass for you. I made one as a center channel for someone and listened to it brieffly years ago. It did not have enough bass for me. I have several pairs of small speakers from top DIY designers with woofers from 3" to 5 !/4" Dia. None of them produce adequate bass for me. Now one pair of rather large ported speakers with Scan Speak 5 1/4" woofers really does not need a sub woofer.

The Speedster supposedly has very good bass from a 4" woofer, never heard it. It does not lend itself to being stretched to your needs. It is 6" wide.

I just finished a very small PE sub kit, 8" x 10" x 12" with a DSP amp. DanP just posted a sub with 200 watts and two passive radiators, 10" square I believe. Wolf has one even smaller with less power. In case you're not satisfied with your OSMTMs and need a small solution.

Powered Dayton Audio 8" 250 Watt Compact Subwoofer Kit with Built-In DSP

SubWave6: A compact subwoofer utilizing the Wavecor SW168WA01 - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum
    You were clear. Originally, I assumed originally you were talking about using them in a pair configuration, but wouldn't the spacing between the drivers need to be a little different when mounted vertically? Being only 1 inch too tall for my design wouldn't cause me too much grief when it comes to redimensioning the box. The width was fine at 6" and now that I'm not mounting to the wall, I actually have a bit more space behind the boxes for the added depth to meet volumetric requirements. I will certainly take a second look. Though, I would then be looking at a build cost that's at least $50 more due to the extra (4) B4Ns.

Comment

The spacing is fine. The width (height) of the OS center channel is 5 1/4'. My only mention of 6" was discussing the Speedsters. The design uses B3Ns, currently $9.98,not B4Ns. That's why I went into the bass response rant, and showing you some small spouse friendly subs.

Good luck with whatever you build.

Edit: kits at a well known Michigan based speaker dealer, OSMTM $78.97 ea, OS Center $97.35 ea., (bare bones).

Comment

FYI - I modeled dj's (Paul's) B3N MMTMM CC. Looks like its got roughly +12dB of baffle-step. The B3s (in that sealed box) will go down to about 70Hz. The excess BSC is sometimes used to bump the bass a bit on small drivers to make it SEEM like there's more bass than there really is. I still think the OS MTMs are best for you (vented). If you end up w/too much bass (for your install) you can try plugging the ports. If that doesn't work, I'll figure out how to alter the XO to flatten out the BSC bump.

Comment

Listen to Chris. Sometimes I wander outside my area of competence.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            FYI - I modeled dj's (Paul's) B3N MMTMM CC. Looks like its got roughly +12dB of baffle-step. The B3s (in that sealed box) will go down to about 70Hz. The excess BSC is sometimes used to bump the bass a bit on small drivers to make it SEEM like there's more bass than there really is. I still think the OS MTMs are best for you (vented). If you end up w/too much bass (for your install) you can try plugging the ports. If that doesn't work, I'll figure out how to alter the XO to flatten out the BSC bump.
            Time to clear out the garage and get my equipment setup....and buy a circle jig for my router.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              The spacing is fine. The width (height) of the OS center channel is 5 1/4'. My only mention of 6" was discussing the Speedsters. The design uses B3Ns, currently $9.98,not B4Ns. That's why I went into the bass response rant, and showing you some small spouse friendly subs.

Good luck with whatever you build.

Edit: kits at a well known Michigan based speaker dealer, OSMTM $78.97 ea, OS Center $97.35 ea., (bare bones).
              Just caught that the MMTMM consists of 3" drivers not 4".

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                Is there any real reason that a port shouldn't be on the top of a speaker, rather than on the bottom? Other than accumulating dust over time.

Comment

Working...
                X