Iowa DIY 2018 - October 19-20, 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa DIY 2018 - October 19-20, 2018

Ankeny, Iowa at the Best Western Premier Hotel. Informal listening event the evening of 10/19 and show on 10/20. Details here: http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/even.../venue-lodging

Be there, or be square. I shall be both!

Darn. I’ll be on the beach in Florida.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

OK Gentlemen, many of you are new here and some have no idea of what I'm talking about. Let me just say one thing - this is the premier DIY event in North America. MAF is very good (or so they say) but this is the Granddaddy of events.

A collection of the finest designers and their craftsmanship in a relaxed and fun atmosphere. Follow the link in the first post and register today!

Comment

With all the rain that is coming to the midwest, hope to get sometime to finish cutting and assembly to start working on measurements.
        6 Weeks and counting. Getting excited!!!!
        If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
        What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
        It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Also, don't forget to get your hotel early and get that IowaDIY discount. If they end up scheduling the makeup game for ISU that weekend the local hotels maybe full.
          If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
          What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
          It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
            OK Gentlemen, many of you are new here and some have no idea of what I'm talking about. Let me just say one thing - this is the premier DIY event in North America. MAF is very good (or so they say) but this is the Granddaddy of events.

A collection of the finest designers and their craftsmanship in a relaxed and fun atmosphere. Follow the link in the first post and register today!
            Marty,

I nominate you for official Iowa DIY spokesperson! Very well said and I totally agree.

See you there!

Jim

Comment

"A collection of the finest designers and their craftsmanship ..."

I'm neither a fine designer nor much of a craftsman, but I'll be there with something to show.
              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Thanks, Marty. I've never been to even one DIY event. But I never knew Iowa was The One to go to. Haven't built anything in a while, but I'd be too skeered to attend out of fear of being laughed at, because I don't do crossovers, and I don't have the equipment or knowledge to measure. I can certainly build some nice cabinets, as I have a garage full of Powermatic and Delta equipment and I was a cabinetmaker back in the 80's, before I joined the Navy. But I've always had Mad build LEAP x-overs for me, and I know some here consider that cheating, although I know of at least one member that wins some events, yet has someone else do his crossovers, so not sure that's much different.

Comment

Iowa, in fact any MAC event, is about camaraderie within a shared interest, not impressing people. We don't do contests, themes, reviews, feedback, etc - they are fine things but we believe there is also room for an event focusing on the non-showwman aspects of the hobby.

Come on down, guarantee a good time.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

This ^^^

And no cheesy pictures of "winners" holding their fake checks
                    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
                      Thanks, Marty. I've never been to even one DIY event. But I never knew Iowa was The One to go to. Haven't built anything in a while, but I'd be too skeered to attend out of fear of being laughed at, because I don't do crossovers, and I don't have the equipment or knowledge to measure. I can certainly build some nice cabinets, as I have a garage full of Powermatic and Delta equipment and I was a cabinetmaker back in the 80's, before I joined the Navy. But I've always had Mad build LEAP x-overs for me, and I know some here consider that cheating, although I know of at least one member that wins some events, yet has someone else do his crossovers, so not sure that's much different.

Please Note!

As JR mentioned this is about friendship, speakers, beer, speakers, laughs, speakers..... You get the idea. No judging, no hecklers, no dismissive attitudes. If you have a set you need help with but you don't want them in the show, bring 'em and you're sure to find help with a smile and a 'There ya' go, you're on your way!'

Here's my story with Iowa DIY: In 2008 I brought the ugliest, worst sounding speaker ever built. Back then it was still a 'contest' and as I like to joke 'In a contest of 32 entries it was my set that made it possible for everyone else to finish in the top 31.' In other words mine absolutely sucked. But I was given support and encouragement and lots of 'You're going to get better - everyone starts somewhere and eventually improves.'

If you've never been to one of these shows - this is the one to attend!

Comment

Craig, your sarcastic comment, that's obviously directed at PE's MWAF (the company hosting this forum BTW) and the people whom enter, comes across as pretty much sour grapes and uncalled for. I've attended DIY Iowa both when there was judging and when there wasn't and have enjoyed both formats. There's nothing wrong with a contest that chooses winners, but that doesn't mean the non-winners' entries at MWAF are bad-mouthed or dismissed or laughed at. MWAF is not a perfect event as we all know, but there is a lot of camaraderie, help and fun that occurs there. I'd love to attend Iowa again, but the drive is too long for just me without another person to share in the driving, and I don't want to take 2 extra days, driving halfway each day if I drove alone.
                        Paul

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post

And no cheesy pictures of "winners" holding their fake checks

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
                          Waboo, I'm in the same boat as you--I enjoy the wood working aspect of speaker building, but never developed the xover design skills. I don't build enough speakers to justify the effort and my ears are not that trained. OTOH, maybe I should learn just to keep my brain challenged during retirement! Regardless, I always enjoy attending as a spectator. Everyone is friendly and willing to share info.

I plan to attend this year again to admire and be inspired. I also hope to build something (with assistance from others) before next year.

Marv

Comment

Hey DIY Iowa hosts/team,

I'm one of the old attenders for Iowa, I think 2003 thru about 2008.

I have always enjoyed a feedback/judging format (in respectful way, of course). THere are lots of variations possible... All attendees judging vs entrants judging vs a few selected judges - or some sort of weighted combination of this...
                            Out of curiosity, why was this changed? Was there an issue? Someone treated unfairly?
                            Was it just too complicated? Too much work to do all the entries and calculations?

I'm truly not being critical, just wondering. I certainly enjoy the camaraderie too - even if there's not a "winner," I have enjoyed getting the feedback forms.

I saw something on the page that said feedback was optional, upon request or something. Does the entrant have to provide their own forms? Or how does that work?

Debating a trip up there to see everyone, but it would likely mean flying. That makes bringing an entry a bit difficult
                            SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                            Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                            SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                            SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Scott, if you make the flight I'll answer your questions. I'll buy you a beer, as well.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X