Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottq View Post
    Hey DIY Iowa hosts/team,

I'm one of the old attenders for Iowa, I think 2003 thru about 2008.

I have always enjoyed a feedback/judging format (in respectful way, of course). THere are lots of variations possible... All attendees judging vs entrants judging vs a few selected judges - or some sort of weighted combination of this...
    Out of curiosity, why was this changed? Was there an issue? Someone treated unfairly?
    Was it just too complicated? Too much work to do all the entries and calculations?

I'm truly not being critical, just wondering. I certainly enjoy the camaraderie too - even if there's not a "winner," I have enjoyed getting the feedback forms.

I saw something on the page that said feedback was optional, upon request or something. Does the entrant have to provide their own forms? Or how does that work?

Debating a trip up there to see everyone, but it would likely mean flying. That makes bringing an entry a bit difficult
    Scott,

You are still welcome to offer survey forms for the attendees to critique your build. If you'd like to create a form and bring it along to share with the others you're more than welcome to do so. Unfortunately the time and energy that went into tabulating the forms, the subjective nature of scoring, and my constant last-place finishes made the effort just a step too far for the organizers. (I think it was my tears that finally cracked them.)

Marty

Comment

I will certainly miss the Harris auditorium we had at Grinnell College. It was a great venue. But times change whether we like it or not. On to Ankeny!
      "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

I am sure we will be back at the Harris center again in the future. Just hard to do when the college has events planned for the space. Just like years past, the new event will most likely be just as enjoyable or better to simulate at home listening environments.
        If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
        What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
        It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post

Please Note!

As JR mentioned this is about friendship, speakers, beer, speakers, laughs, speakers..... You get the idea. No judging, no hecklers, no dismissive attitudes. If you have a set you need help with but you don't want them in the show, bring 'em and you're sure to find help with a smile and a 'There ya' go, you're on your way!'

Here's my story with Iowa DIY: In 2008 I brought the ugliest, worst sounding speaker ever built. Back then it was still a 'contest' and as I like to joke 'In a contest of 32 entries it was my set that made it possible for everyone else to finish in the top 31.' In other words mine absolutely sucked. But I was given support and encouragement and lots of 'You're going to get better - everyone starts somewhere and eventually improves.'

If you've never been to one of these shows - this is the one to attend!
          Friendship, beer, and speakers. Why isn't there one every month?

Comment

I'll give my $0.02 worth since I hosted a couple of the years when feedback forms were being used.

There was NEVER any judging. Period! There were optional feedback forms that were used to offer listener impressions for the designer only. The contents were never made public. The forms were optional for the listeners and the designer had the option of no feedback for a just show and tell presentation if they preferred.The feedback forms were tabulated to determine which designs were the listener favorites and the top three were recognized for their efforts. In 2004, I had requests from the sponsors to offer prizes for the top speakers so we did that at their request. My perspective and goal was to help others that couldn't be there to listen but were looking for a design to build and help them make a decision which would best fit their needs. It was all about the music. That's all a long haul from a competitive "drag race" so the top three could stand in the winners circle. Camaraderie and adult beverages were available in abundance then too. I've been to a lot of DIY events over the last 15 years and I've never heard a heckler at any of them. That would be a really quick way to get banished.

As Marty said, tabulating the results was a real PITA for the organizer but beneficial for the designer and those that want to build a design rather than go on the extended journey of learning how to design a speaker that competes with commercial offerings.

That's my take on the DIY events I was personally involved in, FWIW....

HTH

Jim
            Last edited by Jim Holtz; 09-12-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

UPDATE TIME:

The list of exhibitors continues to grow and there's only room for about 12 more. If you'd like to show your creation then follow the link: http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/even.../venue-lodging

If you're thinking of simply attending (no speakers to show) then we still ask that you register so we can keep an eye on the number of attendees and also to manage door prize opportunities - and the Door Prizes always Rock!

**Hotel rooms are filling quickly! Follow the aforementioned link to discover how to reserve a room at a discount price!** We are in a Brand New Hotel Facility and they're sure to fill up for the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
              Last edited by martyh; 09-13-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                Scott, if you make the flight I'll answer your questions. I'll buy you a beer, as well.
                Thanks Johnny. I hope they have Grain Belt there. All your pictures over the years have made me curious

Originally posted by martyh View Post

Scott,

You are still welcome to offer survey forms for the attendees to critique your build. If you'd like to create a form and bring it along to share with the others you're more than welcome to do so. Unfortunately the time and energy that went into tabulating the forms, the subjective nature of scoring, and my constant last-place finishes made the effort just a step too far for the organizers. (I think it was my tears that finally cracked them.)

Marty
                Marty, thanks for the clarification on the forms. FWIW, I don't recall ever "placing" nor "winning." It's hard to be unbiased, but it is definitely a humbling experience to meet up with a bunch of other people that are passionate about a subject and see what they're capable of. And, of course, it's just plain fun.

I totally get the tabulating frustrations! I hosted 3 DIY events down here. It's A LOT of work. Tabulating scores is also a chore. Thankfully, my better half is amazing. And supportive. And, she has done a great job managing that task. Granted, it's not so hard with only 10 entries. An event the size of Iowa seems overwhelming.

One year in Chicago? or Iowa? DIY event, my friends and I created a webpage and brought a few laptops to have all the listeners do their own entries and scoring that went directly into a small, local database. I think more PCs would have helped a lot. It was crowded and people were frustrated with the lines at the back of the room. And I remember a few people cursing at "those darn computers," and a bit concerned with the lack of privacy as they made entries with 10 people standing/waiting behind them. I think it was a good concept, but not well executed - the intent was to take "data entry" and calculation out of the mix for (I think) Jim's wife, and just have the entry go directly into a database that automatically calculated everything.
                That was ?circa 2004?... times have changed. Nowadays, I think this kind of approach is a much more reasonable possibility - nearly everyone has a smartphone and could just do their scoring entry in an app or webpage, sitting in their chair. Might be worth suggesting to PE for MWAF.
                SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                  I'll give my $0.02 worth since I hosted a couple of the years when feedback forms were being used.
                  As Marty said, tabulating the results was a real PITA for the organizer but beneficial for the designer and those that want to build a design rather than go on the extended journey of learning how to design a speaker that competes with commercial offerings.
                  Jim, you were a great host. I miss the get-togethers at your house

There is a little light at the end of the tunnel for possibility to attend. I miss the Midwest.
                  SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                  Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                  SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                  SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

I plan to be there on Saturday with my Totally Flat speakers. Looking forward to seeing everyone again and listening to everyone's new creations. I find that one of the best things at all these events, regardless of competition, is that it allows me to hear how my speakers sound compared to several other, well designed speaker systems.
                    Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                    Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build
                    Plan-Tanic: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ght=Plan-Tanic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thtry View Post
                      I plan to be there on Saturday with my Totally Flat speakers. Looking forward to seeing everyone again and listening to everyone's new creations. I find that one of the best things at all these events, regardless of competition, is that it allows me to hear how my speakers sound compared to several other, well designed speaker systems.
                      That's great to hear you'll be bringing those with you Bill! I was sure hoping I would get to see & hear those. But it's a shame you'll miss the Friday night festivities...
                      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by scottq View Post

Jim, you were a great host. I miss the get-togethers at your house

There is a little light at the end of the tunnel for possibility to attend. I miss the Midwest.
                        Hi Scott,

Thank you! I appreciate your comments. I enjoyed the Friday before get togethers at my house too. It was fun for me and I'm glad hear it was enjoyed by you as well.

I hope you're out of the storms path and are safe.

You'll have to make the trek northward again one of these years. It'd be great to see you again.

Jim

Comment

Will there be any video taken of the event? Even sound bites of various speakers / categories demonstrated (same songs played) for those of us who cannot make it.

Comment

Dave,

We take lots of video in addition to pictures at every event. You can check our channel at Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw2...EZwW63Kk8TqUzA
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Stuff I am bringing for the swap meet table:
                              Make Description Vendor Qty Notes
                              MCM Audio Select KB 5" MCM/Newark 4 High Q, low Xmax, extremely low distortion. Make a perfect midrange.
                              Axis Gradient 7" MCM/Newark 2 All of the Axis Gradient drivers use same frame as RS, with similar cone to the RS-P
                              Axis Gradient 5" MCM/Newark 2 Axis is honest in their descriptions - they call the 7" a 6", and the 6" a 5"
                              Dynavox 6-1/2" Poly Truncated PE 2
                              Axis Gradient 3-1/2" MCM/Newark 2
                              Audible Physics Small tweeter MCM/Newark 2 Very, very small tweeter with cast faceplate. Cross at 3500.
                              Faital Pro 5" FE100 PE 2
                              Dayton DSA 8" PE 2
                              Dayton TCP115-4 PE 2
                              MCM Audio Select 55-2669 5-1/4" MCM/Newark 2 White cone, one has very small wrinkle, matched pair within 3% (if I recall correctly)
                              Monacor DT99 Tweeter MCM/Newark 2
                              MCM Audio Select 55-3669 5-1/4" MCM/Newark 2 Black Cone
                              Axis Select 8" Woofer MCM/Newark 2 Treated paper cone
                              Axis Select 4" Woofer MCM/Newark 2 Cosmetic match to 8" woofer
                              Axis Select Dome Tweeter MCM/Newark 2 No original packaging
                              HiVI Q1R Dome PE 2 Part of the HiVi 2-way kit
                              Peerless AULA01213-0004 No Idea 2 No idea where these came from, look like standard SDS or SLS series
                              Tang Band RBM 5" PE 2 One NIB, one missing original packaging but does have formed cone protector
                              Stellar Labs 30W Amp MCM/Newark 2 These are the little T-amps, each come with a 12V/3A power supply
                              Sure 100W Amp (?) MCM/Newark 2 IIRC these are rated at 50x2, more likely 30X2. Come with 24vdc power supply
                              Misc Cables, lots of cables Various ? RCA cables, 3.5mm cables, misc speaker wire, other stuff.
                              At the prices I plan on letting this stuff go, shipping will be tough to justify. Come to Iowa, and take this stuff home.
                              Adding the following:

Qty: 2 Dayton Audio 25W plate amps. Used, but as new.

Qty: 2 Dayton Audio 8" Passive Radiators. Used, but minty - perhaps below a bit of dust.

Qty: 2 Parts Express buyout 6-1/2" subwoofers. Used, in conjunction with the above items in two different powered subwoofers. These drivers are pretty impressive all things considered.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************

Lets talk prices at the event itself. Open to non-audio trades. Currently interested in some nice Scotch whiskeys (my preference tends to the Islay stuff, but I have yet to come across a good Scotch from any region that I do not like).

Just FYI, this is about 1/4 of my non-Realistic/Radio Shack collection. I am not loading any more into the Kia than this - there will be a nearly identical list present at the next DIY event I attend (likely DDIY) so if you are patient...

The KB/Axis stuff is really nice. For that matter, there really isn't a dog on this list. I picked most of it up on clearance at MCM, so use that as a guide for what to offer me. I want to pass these on, (and the next round), hopefully to someone who will use them. I find myself thinking less and less about building speakers these days, so this stash just has got to go.

This list is subject to expansion as I dig around. I have a LOT of drivers and other stuff.

PM me if you want to do an early bird offer and claim on any of it. For the record, if someone wanted to buy the lot and flip it on Ebay, I won't be offended. I lack the energy to deal with that outfit these days.

Anywhoo - despite everything I just wrote, I am always interested in certain drivers. I am a sucker for the old school Realistic/Radio Shack drivers....

See you all in just over a month!

(Sorry no pictures, the photo insertion on this forum is stupidly bad. Just swing on by at Iowa and make me an offer)
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

(Imagine your best NASA Apollo Moonshot voiceover here) A-Minus-Ten, Gents. There are only 10 remaining spots for the Ankeny, IA DIY Event on October 19-20th. If you are considering hopping on-board now is the time to get your registration in! (That would be NOW!!)

Some guys have had their build done for months, others are lagging behind, but everybody will have fun! Grab a favorite Six-er on your way out of town and share a couple with some old friends, some new friends, and some soon-to-be friends.

Once again with the link: http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/even.../venue-lodging

Remember even if you're only going to attend but not display we still want you to register. It helps with figuring out seating and lunch on Saturday.

(By the way, in regards to the 'lagging behind' comment, I meant me!)

Marty

Comment

Working...
                                X