• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design topology for a "classic" 3-way

Hi all,

in a earlier post:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ct-a-10-woofer

I have asked for your advice on the ch oice of woofer for my next project. This post is more on the design process. Please look at the attached pictures. My plan is to design the system "from the top" starting with the upper smaller mid/tweeter box and, basically, design a two-way crossed at abt 3000 Hz.

The measurements on that "semi-system" will be a good guide on how to proceed with the woofer-part, housed in the lower box.

I plan to aim for 2nd order wo/mid and 2nd/3rd mid/tweeter.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards//lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1179.JPG Views:	3 Size:	496.5 KB ID:	1387336
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1178.JPG Views:	2 Size:	480.6 KB ID:	1387335
    Attached Files
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Post disappeared??

Regards//lasse

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Originally posted by lasse View Post
      Post disappeared??

Regards//lasse
      2nd order mid and woofer but I’d wait to decide on the slopes up high and let the drivers tell you what they want
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pete's comment is spot on. My old 3-way was classic is in the same sense, a 25W woofer in a PR box with a small 2-way on top. XO was W/M 300Hz LR2 and M/T 3000Hz LR2 as well. In most cases the tweeter will dictate the lower limit of your filter as long as the mid is good to that point. That old 3-way design is up at my site, my favorite before I moved to my current dipoles.

25W8565-01 / 12M4631 / OW1

One detail in the crossover allowed the mid to match well that isn't often used now, but is an old classic technique. I used a series RC bypass to extend the midrange top end that allowed for a better integration with the tweeter. One other detail is that the mid is slightly offset forward to roughly align the centers, making the M/T crossover easier, especially being 2nd order.

dlr
        WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

2nd order mid and woofer but I’d wait to decide on the slopes up high and let the drivers tell you what they want
          Hi and thanks for the advice.
          I Will build the mid/tw-box, installera the drivers and measure

will be back!!

regards/lasse

Comment

Lasse, I have used that Peerless mid/woofer in a previous project and really liked how it sounded. Have you considered using it open baffle?
            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              Lasse, I have used that Peerless mid/woofer in a previous project and really liked how it sounded. Have you considered using it open baffle?
              Hi,
              actually no because I have never used that OB-design up until Today.
              Is there somewhere I can read about the pros/cons and the expected performance?

regards// lasse

Comment

http://www.musicanddesign.com/A_B_C_Dipole.html
                Craig

Comment

Hello all,

just a picture of "work in progress"

The tweeters will be flush mounted but not the mid.

Regards//lasse Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1388056

Comment

Have you considered rotating the woofer 90* so that the flat sides of the woofer and tweeter touch each other. This will get you a closer center to center distance and possibly get a little better driver integration.
                    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
                      Have you considered rotating the woofer 90* so that the flat sides of the woofer and tweeter touch each other. This will get you a closer center to center distance and possibly get a little better driver integration.
                      Hi,

and thanks for the feedback.

There are two main reasons for the choice of mid-orientation:
                      The screws should be free from the baffle-mounting arrangement in order to facilitate bolt and wafer on the back of the baffle
                      I wanted to show a curved surface to the tweeter for diffraction control reasons (could be debated upon??)

I wanted to surface mount the mid to align the AC´s as well as possible.

regards//lasse

Comment

Hello all,

just a picture of "work in progress"

The tweeters will be flush mounted but not the mid.

Regards//lasse Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1388056
                        That 830991 driver has really nice midrange. I made a few temporary 3-ways with it, stacking boxes like you are here, but didn't finish the speakers. I tend to go overboard sometimes on the x-overs, and the part count was too high.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post

That 830991 driver has really nice midrange. I made a few temporary 3-ways with it, stacking boxes like you are here, but didn't finish the speakers. I tend to go overboard sometimes on the x-overs, and the part count was too high.
                          Hi,

yes part count...

my ambition is to keep the count as low as possible. My personal theory is that some of the ”life” in the music dissappear when you add a lot of passive components in the signal path. Perhaps you have to pay in terms of a not-so-perfect flat response. I think that the more important thing is to flatten the impedance in order to make the XO to work properly.

just my 2 öres ( that is swedish cents.....)

regards// lasse

Comment

...and here is a picture of the completed mid/tw units.

Regards//lasse

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1388119

Comment

Hi,

and thanks for the feedback.

There are two main reasons for the choice of mid-orientation:
                              The screws should be free from the baffle-mounting arrangement in order to facilitate bolt and wafer on the back of the baffle
                              I wanted to show a curved surface to the tweeter for diffraction control reasons (could be debated upon??)

I wanted to surface mount the mid to align the AC´s as well as possible.

regards//lasse
                              I understand the mounting issue and I think that the extra distance isn't a big issue. However, the edge being round/flat isn't much of a consideration with regard to diffraction because the edge of a driver such as that doesn't contribute a significant amount. The distances from tweeter to edge are distributed in both cases and the surface is small. What is an issue is the diffraction created by the mid-woofer cone surface. The closer it is, the worse the diffraction due to a larger included angle and the wavelengths affected.

If you really want to control some of the diffraction, a single piece of 1/2" high felt maybe only 4-5 inches long placed between the two drivers will work very well. But you don't have a lot of room for that with the raised mounting plate of the mid-woofer.

dlr
                              WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                              X