Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very simple build and recommendations

Guys and Gals,

looking to build a simple set of Desktop/PC Speakers and was just thinking of a nice ported box with either

** https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--290-224
    or
    ** https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...river--295-352

and looking to power them using this little basic

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...odule--300-385

this isnt really going to be pumping and more for movies and sport and a low volume whilst at the PC.

i have noticed some speaker builders are adding filters on this smaller builds and others building boxes with transmission line in mind. My question is i know im looking to provide a max of 10w @ 8ohms per channel, so is there a creative way to make this "seem" like a bigger speaker even though they are quite small and potentially under powered.

I feel like having a go building this as im still building my bigger radiogram and i some spare timber floating around, if there is a question of why dont you just by some cheap pc speakers I think the sound from a smaller full range will be ample considering my old ones are about that 2.5 inch size (which also have a sub) Open to suggestions.

There should be some builds with the ND91 that you can copy, or just run the sim in WinISD or Unibox
    I did a boombox build with the ND90 (IIRC) and felt that a simple contour circuit added some clarity and balance.

In general the ND91 will give some outstanding bass at your target power level.
    The RS100 will give good bass, and outstanding midrange for a little desktop.
    A simple ported box should work well for either.

Have fun!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Several ways to think about it. While a small RS will have less deviation (in its pass band), any full ranger won't have very good dispersion (top end "sparkle") w/out a tweeter. To solve that issue, just aim the speakers right at your head (ears) and be in the same position every time (usually not a problem sitting at a desk).

And while almost any design benefits from a BSC (baffle step) "contour" filter, it's simpler (and cheaper) to just do a little EQ at the computer (if possible - which it typically is).
      My PicoNeo build just used the ND90-8 (or AURA NS3) in a vented box of 0.15cf to reach pretty well into the 50Hz range.
      You can go smaller (about 1/3 that size) by using the ND65s, and they WILL still do 60Hz, but they're not nearly as robust (at 2-1/2") as their bigger (3-1/2") bro. Also, they're so small that they're kind of a PITA to work with (and most likely will require some screwing around when mounting).

The general consensus is that it's hard to beat the Lepai 2020(A) for 2-channel duty.

Comment

thanks guys, i found a build that used Tectonic TEBM65C20F-8 3-1/2" (https://www.parts-express.com/tecton...-ohm--297-2156) in a transmission line box which looked interesting. general feedback was there was a bit of bang of the buck as they are quite cheap only missing value was the width, which was internally 3.5 inches. honestly i'm tending to learn towards this one as there is basically a build waiting there for me and people seem to like them just as much as the DA range.

For the speaker to be at ear level that would need to have a box around that 200mm high, which is quite achievable at my desk. I have seen those Lepai amps before and they do look quite good, i guess with this i was thinking of being tight and spending $15 on an amp board.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
          Several ways to think about it. While a small RS will have less deviation (in its pass band), any full ranger won't have very good dispersion (top end "sparkle") w/out a tweeter. To solve that issue, just aim the speakers right at your head (ears) and be in the same position every time (usually not a problem sitting at a desk).

And while almost any design benefits from a BSC (baffle step) "contour" filter, it's simpler (and cheaper) to just do a little EQ at the computer (if possible - which it typically is).
          My PicoNeo build just used the ND90-8 (or AURA NS3) in a vented box of 0.15cf to reach pretty well into the 50Hz range.
          You can go smaller (about 1/3 that size) by using the ND65s, and they WILL still do 60Hz, but they're not nearly as robust (at 2-1/2") as their bigger (3-1/2") bro. Also, they're so small that they're kind of a PITA to work with (and most likely will require some screwing around when mounting).

The general consensus is that it's hard to beat the Lepai 2020(A) for 2-channel duty.
          ok, i've seen those PicoNeo speakers, they look pretty sweet. To be honest, i'm more of a get the recipe and cook guy, than a learn this stuff one. I downloaded Winisd before and tried to use it, but fell short when i didnt have any dirver data. Might have to google/youtube how to use it properly as currently im being lazy. Any thing soldering related scares me a bit, i dont really understand the cross over diagrams either. but if there is a video im set

Comment

I've ordered the tectronics as well as the dta-2 amp board, going to.use the TL enclosure but do you think there would be any benefit to having a passive radiator? Which woule imply that the box would need to be sealed I'm guessing? I don't know anything about these things but it looks to me like a speaker but working off the air within ihe box? Wouldnt have a clue how to match something like this

Comment

I have looked at the tectonic. My opinion is the TL enclosure combined with the ND16FA, using the Mariposa crossover would be pretty sweet. The Mariposa crossover is simple and uses cheap parts. The ND16 is also pretty cheap. With the TL enclosure a passive radiator does not have a use. I don't know much, but in general a passive radiator replaces a port in a base reflex type enclosure. TL is different type enclosure.

Comment

There's another thread called share proven or other small speaker designs for PC/Bedroom. Very useful with build links.

Comment

Working...
                X