Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Rauland DSA 120 mono pa amps; possibilities ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Rauland DSA 120 mono pa amps; possibilities ?

Have a pair of 120 w mono amps from a school pa system when they updated. These things are sorta retro-cool, and maybe could be used in a home setup? Don't know much about such things, but I don't want to get rid of them till I know if I'm over my head or not. Could find NO info online about Rauland DSA 120, and a phone call went nowhere with some grumpyass old dude. Email went unanswered, so all I know is on the amps. Speakers would probably have to be 70v, and there is an 8ohm screw tap. They are heavy, have a power switch, all screw taps, and I hesitate to turn them on to check voltage; do they need a suitable load before turning on? I can only guess the vintage as maybe early to mid 70's? Pics to follow in a day or so.

Have some pics of these amps. I wrote that they had a power switch and an 8 ohm tap, but I was going from memory. My memory is flawed; they have a circuit breaker button, and 41.7 ohm and 5.2 ohm taps. They have 3 outlets, are meant to be rack mounted, and have a silver, blank steel faceplate that sorta looks like stainless. If it would be simple and inexpensive to use them at home, great! If it will take a feat of engineering, then I'll look for someone who may want to play with them or use some of the parts. Any thoughts out there?Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4297.JPG Views:	1 Size:	102.4 KB ID:	1387685Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4293.JPG Views:	1 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	1387686Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4289.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	1387687Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4291.JPG Views:	1 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	1387688Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4290.JPG Views:	1 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	1387689
    Last edited by Craig Oldschool; 09-11-2018, 07:54 PM. Reason: Want to add the size; they are19" wide, 7" high, and 6" deep, and weigh as much as my fat beagle.

Comment

Before you wire up any speakers to these, check for any DC offset on the outputs. It should be less than 50ma. I don't see any protection relays, so if there's a blown output transistor or other issues, you could end up with burnt woofer voice coil.

Just dawned on me these are likely a transform coupled output section. Much less chance of DC on the outputs. But these are pretty old. Caps may be past their prime. Were they still in use somewhere?
      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Tom, I was told they worked when they were replaced about 8 years ago, by the friend of the guy that did the work. But I did not want to try them till I could learn more.

Comment

Those are pretty cool. Hard to say if they sound decent. Some of those old amps were not up to today's hifi standards,but some were gems. You might try over at AudioKarma.org and see if anyone has ever heard of them. They ave a dedicated Solid State forum. I would think the amp gurus could probably give you some opinions just by looking at the output transistors and topology. I'm sure they would be intrigued by those!
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I am going on vacation for a week right now, but I will get on AudioKarma when I get back and see if anybody has advice. I hope somebody knows about this particular amp, and it's kinda weird that there is nothing at all online.

Comment

Working...
            X