A visit from the Speaker Fairy! Helix Dome MT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A visit from the Speaker Fairy! Helix Dome MT

After some skimping on lunches and stashing away change where my wife couldn't find it I was able to get a new kit.

I've opened all the boxes and inspected everything. Much respect and appreciation to Erich. I have purchased MDF and veneer. I hope to be well on my way to some new speakers later this week. I will try to document this build a little better than my past projects and share in the Speaker Project Gallery.
    Last edited by Waltzilla; 09-18-2018, 09:17 PM.

Beefy looking woofer, you sure a fairy could haul that?
    What is it?

Comment

It's a Denovo 7" Hexcore woofer. I think it's only available as part of the two Helix Dome kits. Perhaps Erich could provide more information as it looks interesting.

PS - wonder how it compares to the Anarchy 7".
      Last edited by ernperkins; 09-12-2018, 08:14 AM. Reason: Add PS note
      "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Yes, it's the Denovo 7" Hexcore.

Comment

Looks like the Anarchy's basket frame, but it's lacking the double thick pole plate. Likely not quite the Xmax I'd guess, but quite stout! Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music

Comment

I have wondered if it is the same cone used on the Eton Symphony driver, combined with the Anarchy basket. I wish there was more info about these. Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
              Beefy looking woofer, you sure a fairy could haul that?
              What is it?
              The speaker fairy that delivered those drives a big white panel truck with purple and orange letters on the side and looks like he could lift me with no problems.

Comment

I found a little time today to get some work done on these speakers.

The crossovers are nice and simple. I was shopping with the wife at Michael's and saw some small plywood plaques. Seemed to be the perfect size. I have them screwed on to some dowel plugs to act as standoffs. I doubt I will ever need to replace anything in the near future, but I like to have the ability to pull the crossover board out.

Mounted to the baffles they sound nice and clear. I can't wait to get them in the boxes. I should start on the boxes tomorrow night or on Tuesday. I have some nice curly cherry veneer for the baffles and some oak veneer for the top and sides.

Walter

Comment

Had some time today to make some sawdust. This is my second attempt at mitered corners. Once I get them sealed and dry I will make my first attempt at veneer! Slow and steady. I'm trying not to rush anything.

They are messy inside. Not nearly as bad on the outside. Nothing like that moment when you realize that you've glued your brace in the wrong position and desperately whack it out with a dead blow mallet. That's what happens when I forget "slow and steady".

Walter

Comment

Slow and steady is hard, but they're looking great!! Keep it up! Almost there
                    SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                    Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                    SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                    SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement! Rough sanded the boxes tonight and gave them a heavy coat of shellac. I will let them dry for about 24 hours and sand/shellac them again.

Comment

A little more time tonight. I skipped the second coat of shellac. Once I sanded them smooth they seemed to be pretty well sealed for paint and veneer.

I am planning on red oak for the top and sides. Curly cherry for the baffles. Vinegar and steel wool for the red oak and a natural clear on the cherry. I painted the bottoms flat black.

Walter

Comment

I had a whole Sunday free to play! I used all of it finishing up. Initial impressions are most favorable. Nice wide sound stage, nice depth. Very nice detail.

Comment

More pictures. The last shot is only a temporary home where I soldered my final connections and gave them a test run. They will live in the bedroom with a much more forgiving environment.

Walt

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X