Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoundEasy V23 has been released

Dear All,

With this email, I would like to announce the release of SoundEasy V23.

There are 25 new features / improvements and a couple of bug fixes. Many of you will recognize your inputs, so thank you for your contributions. The following are the main new features:
    1. New measurement method for evaluation Non-Coherence Distortion of a loudspeaker, using music or noise as the test signal. The method provides continuous NCD vs. frequency curve and also Total NCD figure.
    1. New impedance measurement method for large signal excitation. This method cam be used to measure impedance under typical operating conditions, which typically exceed the standard 1W test signal.
    1. Implemented Semi-Inductance impedance model across the modelling functions and also a method for extracting S-I parameters from measured data curve. The S-I model is more accurate than previously implemented models.
    1. Curve fitting method for optimizing SPL match between Band-Pass loudspeaker model and measured SPL for the purpose of determining the minimum-phase response of the measured driver and the location of the FFT window.
    1. Display CSD difference between two impulses. Both CSD waterfalls are saved to HD for further comparisons.

Item 4 requires further comment. Correct determination of the minimum-phase phase response of a loudspeaker driver has been often viewed as an impossible task. SE V23 takes one step further in providing a solution to this dilemma. The method was developed to exemplify the following logic.

Loudspeakers are known to be minimum-phase devices within their operating frequency range. Therefore, their SPL and Phase response are mathematically locked via Hilbert-Bode Transform (HBT), even though this relationship breaks down within the break-up region. This characteristics allow us to construct a simple band-pass model of the loudspeaker, using measured SPL as a template, from which we can instantly obtain minimum-phase phase response of the model. Since we are mainly interested in the asymptotic slopes of the SPL response, the actual model does not have to be very complex. After optimization, the band-pass model provides a template for the HBT parameters, such as the asymptotic slopes of the SPL and at the same time guides the location of the FFT window for converting measured SPL into minimum-phase SPL/Phase of the measured driver.

The above approach is facilitated by employing curve-fitting algorithm to optimize the fitting accuracy of the band-pass model to the measured SPL. The algorithm manipulates several parameters of the band-pass model to minimize the error function objectively and therefore is independent of the operator’s judgement or speculations. If correctly executed, the band-pass model is the best fit to the measured SPL, thus providing the most accurate minimum-phase phase response possible. From here, the acoustic centre, “time-of-flight” and location of FFT window can be determined.

For your upgrade, please contact me directly. http://www.bodziosoftware.com.au/

Best Regards,
    Bohdan

I like the compare CSD function, takes the guesswork out of placing the gate I would think. What is non-coherence distortion?
    ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
    DriverVault

Comment

Hi,

Non-Coherence Distortion is a measure of similarity between the input signal and output of a system. It's not actually all that new. This paper explains it better than I can.
      https://www.researchgate.net/publica...d_Noncoherence

It is obviously a dual-channel method. Ideally suited for examining system performance during music, speech signals. SE User Manual gives details of the method and some examples of usage.

Best Regards,
      Bohdan

Comment

Are there still two versions? I use an external Behringer FCA610 that supports either USB or Firewire (which I prefer). I'm still at V20 and am thinking of upgrading.
        "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Will it open v22 files?
          http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
            Are there still two versions? I use an external Behringer FCA610 that supports either USB or Firewire (which I prefer). I'm still at V20 and am thinking of upgrading.
            Hi,

V23 supports the more popular WDM/MME drivers for soundcards - if this is what you are asking for?.

Best Regards,
            Bohdan

Comment

IIRC there was a version for WDM/MME and another WASAPI version.
              "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                Will it open v22 files?
                Hi,

Yes, it will without conversion. V23 uses the same files as V22.

Best Regards,
                Bohdan

Comment

Hi Bohdan,
                  Any chance that you might provide both versions (WDM/MME and WASAPI) as you did for v22? I have two computers that I use for measurement depending upon where I am and one uses WDM and the other uses WASAPI.
                  Thanks,
                  Jay
                  Jay
                  Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall.

Comment

I'd prefer WASAPI also...For whatever reason a new Win7 machine I built strictly to keep for speaker measurements would freeze/crash when I ran a signal in V22 MME. V22 WASAPI was fine.
                    ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                    DriverVault

Comment

Originally posted by jmb View Post
                      Hi Bohdan,
                      Any chance that you might provide both versions (WDM/MME and WASAPI) as you did for v22? I have two computers that I use for measurement depending upon where I am and one uses WDM and the other uses WASAPI.
                      Thanks,
                      Jay
                      Hi Jay,

Could you elaborate on the hardware you use in both cases?. The more info the better.

Best Regards,
                      Bohdan

Comment

Hi Bohdan,
                        Sorry for the delay in response but I was traveling on business. One of my computers is Windows 10 i5 processor and this can run the WDM/MME while the other computer is an old Windows 7 computer that I have used as my primary measurement computer on a measurement rig for years. It is updated to Windows 10 but cannot run the WDM version. To be honest, I can't recall what happened when I tried but I do remember having to get the WASAPI version on in order for it to work.
                        Jay
                        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by jmb View Post
                          Hi Bohdan,
                          Sorry for the delay in response but I was traveling on business. One of my computers is Windows 10 i5 processor and this can run the WDM/MME while the other computer is an old Windows 7 computer that I have used as my primary measurement computer on a measurement rig for years. It is updated to Windows 10 but cannot run the WDM version. To be honest, I can't recall what happened when I tried but I do remember having to get the WASAPI version on in order for it to work.
                          Jay
                          Hi Jay,

Releasing WASAPI version is obviously possible, and I may do this within a foreseeable future.
                          However, I just tested SE V23 both MLS and ESS on Windows 7 and Windows 10 at 48kHz. Works OK.

Please double check your codec and Preferences screen settings.
                          Your codec and SE must be set to the same sampling frequency, bit depth and channel assignment.
                          So for instance, if you run EasyLab measurements, you codec output must be set to 2-channel configuration.

Best Regards,
                          Bohdan

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                            I'd prefer WASAPI also...For whatever reason a new Win7 machine I built strictly to keep for speaker measurements would freeze/crash when I ran a signal in V22 MME. V22 WASAPI was fine.
                            Hi,

I have been combing the source code to see if I can find anything out of ordinary.

I do not know if this is what you experienced, but it turns out that, MLS works OK in 24bit configurations, but may malfunction on some devices in 16-bit mode.
                            ESS should work OK in both 16-bit and 24-bit modes.

The bug slipped through the testing, as 16-bit devices have been extinct for 10 years, and I use mostly ESS system nowdays.
                            I have corrected the code and its available for V23 upgrade if you are interested in MLS/16bit. If this does not bother you then continue to use MLS/24bit
                            and obviously ESS in both modes.

So, if this looks like your situation, the solution is already available.

Best Regards,
                            Bohdan

Comment

Hi Bohdan, I am traveling again (on business) but will test the WDM version for V22 on both computers again when I get home. I seem to recall trying what you suggested in the past but it has been some time.
                              Thanks,
                              Jay
                              Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X