No announcement yet.

SA70 plate amp, RSS210HF-4 woofer, and Xmax in a Paul Carmody Pony subwoofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA70 plate amp, RSS210HF-4 woofer, and Xmax in a Paul Carmody Pony subwoofer

I would like to build a couple of Paul Carmody's Pony subwoofers using an SA70 plate amp and RSS210HF-4 woofer. Looks like the woofer has an Xmax of 9 mm and Paul's graph in this comment seems to show that it will exceed Xmax at around 21 Hz at 70 W. The SA70 has a fixed high-pass filter centered at 18 Hz. Is that going to be enough to protect the driver?

Also, are there any other subwoofer-as-speaker-stand projects I should be considering?

I use the RSS210HF-4 as woofers in my 3-ways without a highpass, and have never come close to bottoming them. 1ft^3 total with 1.5# of fill, and a 2.5"D x 10.5"L port in my case, just for reference. I'm sure it or any of Paul's builds will work quite well.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

They should handle an SA100 well for music (down to 40Hz).

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        I use the RSS210HF-4 as woofers in my 3-ways without a highpass, and have never come close to bottoming them. 1ft^3 total with 1.5# of fill, and a 2.5"D x 10.5"L port in my case, just for reference. I'm sure it or any of Paul's builds will work quite well.

Later,
        Wolf
        Thanks for the info. I'm new to this and I'm trying to absorb a ton of information. I appreciate your vote of confidence for Paul's builds. I'm in the middle of my first DIY speaker project with the S2000 kit from DIY Sound Group so I'm banking on them working well.

Comment

I have 2 of the sub stands they can take a good amount of power. The sa70 i had didn't seem to push them to the max. The sa 100 was a bit better. The APA150 is a little more versatile option for about the same price. Its i think $140-150. You can have a 2 channel stereo amp or a sub amp with lowpass, it has a switch to set to mono and as an audio pass thru for 2 channel stuff. Plus it has a volume knob! I find that the plate amps are a pain because you need seperate rcas and a 110v plug for them in each sub location.

https://www.parts-express.com/Search...itesearch=true
          My Build Thread's
          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
            I have 2 of the sub stands they can take a good amount of power. The sa70 i had didn't seem to push them to the max. The sa 100 was a bit better. The APA150 is a little more versatile option for about the same price. Its i think $140-150. You can have a 2 channel stereo amp or a sub amp with lowpass, it has a switch to set to mono and as an audio pass thru for 2 channel stuff. Plus it has a volume knob! I find that the plate amps are a pain because you need seperate rcas and a 110v plug for them in each sub location.

https://www.parts-express.com/Search...itesearch=true
            Those are some interesting options you present and you make a great point re: power outlets.

I wasn't familiar with the APA150. Did you consider an iNuke NU1000?

Comment

I actually use an inuke 6k on them now. Super overpowered for these but when i upgrade to bigger subs ill have the power on tap. Im building a css sdx12 with 2x 12" apr passives now.
              My Build Thread's
              Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Working...
              X