Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: 50th Anniversary Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland Release

https://www.jimihendrix.com/electric-ladyland-50/

Great news for music lovers, the Hendrix Estate has announced the release of a 3CD/Blu Ray or 6LP/Blu Ray edition of one of the greatest albums of all time. You can read more on the website, but the set features the original album, plus a soundboard recorded show from the Hollywood Bowl in 1968 and a disc of demos and rarities. The Blue Ray is a documentary plus a 5.1 mix.

The music has been remastered by Bernie Grundman , so it should sound better than ever; and after 50 years, the cover which Jimi designed and requested be used, has been used.

I know what my Christmas present will be...

Plus a Blu Ray player to watch the documentary as we don't have one.

Geoff

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
    https://www.jimihendrix.com/electric-ladyland-50/

Great news for music lovers, the Hendrix Estate has announced the release of a 3CD/Blu Ray or 6LP/Blu Ray edition of one of the greatest albums of all time. You can read more on the website, but the set features the original album, plus a soundboard recorded show from the Hollywood Bowl in 1968 and a disc of demos and rarities. The Blue Ray is a documentary plus a 5.1 mix.

The music has been remastered by Bernie Grundman , so it should sound better than ever; and after 50 years, the cover which Jimi designed and requested be used, has been used.

I know what my Christmas present will be...

Plus a Blu Ray player to watch the documentary as we don't have one.

Geoff
    Put me down for one.

Comment

Originally posted by AEIOU View Post

Put me down for one.
      I just hope the sound, like the cover, is what Jimi wanted: he said after its original release that he'd 'mixed and mixed and mixed and got a beautiful 3D sound but it was lost in the cutting'. Some CD issues of the album were full of hiss and noise and even had the wrong running order on the discs! None had the right cover.

Bernie Grundman knows his stuff, though and his remasters of the last few Hendrix releases have had the music sounding better than ever. Comparing his work on the recent re-issues 'Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' to the same tracks on 'First Rays of the New Rising Sun' reveals a slightly richer bass and warmer sound, at least on my system.

Some of the tracks on the acoustic demo and rarities disc has been released, albeit many years ago with a comic like hardback biography, but the Hollywood soundboard hasn't even been bootlegged as far as I recall.

Now for the wait!

Geoff

Comment

I just hope the sound, like the cover, is what Jimi wanted: he said after its original release that he'd 'mixed and mixed and mixed and got a beautiful 3D sound but it was lost in the cutting'. Some CD issues of the album were full of hiss and noise and even had the wrong running order on the discs! None had the right cover.

Bernie Grundman knows his stuff, though and his remasters of the last few Hendrix releases have had the music sounding better than ever. Comparing his work on the recent re-issues 'Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' to the same tracks on 'First Rays of the New Rising Sun' reveals a slightly richer bass and warmer sound, at least on my system.

Some of the tracks on the acoustic demo and rarities disc has been released, albeit many years ago with a comic like hardback biography, but the Hollywood soundboard hasn't even been bootlegged as far as I recall.

Now for the wait!

Geoff
        Interestingly, I was sorting through my seldom listened collection of vinyl LPs and I had a look at my very old copy of Rainbow Bridge. Now that I have it on CD, I'll likely never listen to the LP again.

Comment

Originally posted by AEIOU View Post

Interestingly, I was sorting through my seldom listened collection of vinyl LPs and I had a look at my very old copy of Rainbow Bridge. Now that I have it on CD, I'll likely never listen to the LP again.
          Agreed, although the LP has better and the original artwork. Without re-starting the whole analog/digital/ LP/CD debate, my LP sounds thin in the bass and just isn't as enjoyable as the CDs. This might be because they're Oz pressings and not the US version, who knows?

Apparently, the Estate is preparing a documentary about the Rainbow Bridge film and concert, but the show (about 20 mins, in poor sound) was the only worthwhile thing about the film.

Geoff

Comment

Agreed, although the LP has better and the original artwork. Without re-starting the whole analog/digital/ LP/CD debate, my LP sounds thin in the bass and just isn't as enjoyable as the CDs. This might be because they're Oz pressings and not the US version, who knows?

Apparently, the Estate is preparing a documentary about the Rainbow Bridge film and concert, but the show (about 20 mins, in poor sound) was the only worthwhile thing about the film.

Geoff
            I remember seeing the Rainbow Bridge movie at my local movie theater, way back in my high school days, the theater was packed and I was probably the biggest Hendrix fan there.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AustraliaKills_Crab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1387991

Comment

!!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                X