X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about optimal cabinet size

Hello everyone!
    intermediate level audiophile here

I'm using a pair of Dayton Audio Rs100s in a small BT speaker I'm building and on the listing it says the optimum cabinet size in a vented (I'm using 2 passive radiators) enclosure is .1 cubic feet. Well my cabinet size is .12 cubic feet but my thought is that because of the battery and other components inside it will be pretty darn close. Also does is the optimum cabinet size strictly for each driver? Meaning if I have 2 drivers requiring .1 cubic feet does that mean I need .2?

How much difference is it going to make?

Thanks
    Marceleonidas

Think of speaker tuning a continuum, or a performance envelope defined by limits.
    So an optimum is a balance of criteria ( including transient performance, efficiency, frequency response etc )
    How much difference is it going to make?
    In reality minor volume discrepancy does not make much difference.
    Last edited by Sydney; 09-14-2018, 01:15 PM. Reason: clarity
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by marceleonidas View Post
      Hello everyone!
      ... Also does is the optimum cabinet size strictly for each driver? Meaning if I have 2 drivers requiring .1 cubic feet does that mean I need .2?...
      Marceleonidas
      Yes, that's per speaker so double it for 2. But if you're doing a stereo box, you should separate the air space anyway with a divider, then make sure each driver has about 0.1 cu ft.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

Welcome to the forums.

Wogg is spot on in his recommendation. Use a divider for the two chambers if possible.

Cheers!
        All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

Comment

Are you modeling the PR with WinISD?
          Which PRs are you using?
          Which RS100 are you using (there are 5)?

Comment

marceleonidas

Winisd and UniBox are box modeling software that's easy to use and free. Try it for yourself and you can see how varying things like volume, port size, etc. effect response. In fact, I'd recommend you do this before partaking on this project.
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Wow great responses! Can anyone explain why dividing the cabinet is important? Or really *how* important is it? It would be quite difficult to achieve in my design such as it is

Comment

If your left ch. has heavy bass (and the right channel has none), and you don't divide the cab in 2 (internally), then your left woofer will not only be "driving" your L ch. PR (radiator), but it will also drive the R ch. woofer (LIKE a PR) AND its PR. Vice versa for strictly a R ch. signal.

On bass notes that are mixed into both channels, you'll have both PRs being driven. How would you propose to tune those PRs when you won't know when they'll be driven by one woofer or when driven by two? Which (of 5) RS100s are you using, and which PR?

Comment

Originally posted by marceleonidas View Post
                  Wow great responses! Can anyone explain why dividing the cabinet is important? Or really *how* important is it? It would be quite difficult to achieve in my design such as it is
                  The reason I'd personally do it is in case of a failure of one driver. If one fails, the other will be in double the normal volume with a higher tuning. That's not good, at all.
                  All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

Comment

Working...
                  X