Audiophile humor for today.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEIOU
    started a topic Audiophile humor for today.

Audiophile humor for today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cant hear me.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1387953

• buggers
    replied
    I always wanted to get a copy of his book, 'Total Harmonic Distortion'
    I got a copy of it when it first came out...used to read it whenever I needed an improvement in my attitude.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    In this time of great confusion, there is a need for mythbusters.
    Somehow an Internet version of a study on Hummingbirds has some believing they can fly at 450mph!

Leave a comment:

• Thump
    replied
    ^ Mythbusters would enjoy that one - too bad original crew never played with it. Maybe the new guys might dip in it some time. I do recall original show covering the "backwards flow" illusion which was fun and simple.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    Though the humour may be oblique - I found the comments hilarious
    A friend posted this on FB a while back and I had a real hard time convincing him that ( though a woofer was involved ), it wasn't really an Unbelievable Sound Test experiment.
    It was more about capture rate aliasing.

Leave a comment:

• philthien
    replied
    It seems like most of the remaining hifi shops around here became more A/V installers that install home theaters and whole-home audio systems and phones, etc.

I don't hear good things about most of them. They tend to go through technologies (like streaming) fairly quickly and saddle people with dinosaurs routinely.

And I've been shocked to see what people pay to get something like a Sonos system installed in their house.

Leave a comment:

• KenM10759
    replied
    My favorite store to visit is 50 miles away, but well-worth the trip. No attitudes, no push, plenty of good solid help when you ask for it. And I need lots of "therapy."

Leave a comment:

• Thump
    replied
    ^ love the store name.

Leave a comment:

• Dabspok
    replied
    Not humor. But it is a remaining Audiophile store. Portland Oregon. It was the true start of my audio addiction.

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    Originally posted by KenM10759 View Post
    I know Spearit Sound in Noho is gone, but Safe & Sound in Chicopee seems to have a couple of their people and is now the official NAD "B-Stock" (factory refurbished) dealer as Spearit Sound used to be.
    Thank you for posting that. Very good to know.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    Something I used to love because of its sarcastic humor, was Frank Van Alstine's "Audio Basics" publication, which ran from 1982-1994. He debunked many sorts of audio myths with solid engineering commentary. (If you don't know he was a Dynaco engineer back in the day, then formed his own electronics company which is still in business, AVAhifi).
    I just looked at AVAhifi.com, and you can download the entire run of Audio Basics as a pdf for free. Great stuff that regularly cracked me up.

Leave a comment:

• Thump
    replied
    Seems folks with hobbies and stacks of cash (or debt) will always find eager salesman ready to purge the wallet pronto. Solid high quality proper AWG cables made with good purity materials have been enough criteria for me.

The line where "difference" vs "snake oil" crosses appears directly proportional to the amount of money on hand, willingness to part with it and if someone is trying to "impress or 1-up" someone else.

Just another influx of cash into the economy, whether it makes any damn sense or not I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• KenM10759
    replied
    Originally posted by JRT View Post

There is a real brick and mortar retail establishment selling HiFi gear near you?

If so, that seems very quaint.

Here in western Massachusetts those HiFi retail stores are as common as live dinosaurs.
    I know Spearit Sound in Noho is gone, but Safe & Sound in Chicopee seems to have a couple of their people and is now the official NAD "B-Stock" (factory refurbished) dealer as Spearit Sound used to be.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Man... Mr. Bean before he was Mr. Bean!

I hope we never make people feel like that around here.

TomZ
    Glad you liked it: obviously rather old but still funny! I love the bit 'what sort of output do you want? Medium! No, no clues! Brilliant

I've had that 'grandad' attitude many times:

asking whether a new car comes with a proper spare tyre

trying to buy a battery for a mobile phone which is over two years old (that's a museum piece, mate)

asking whether a camera shop sells Kodachrome

etc etc....

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQqWSnsHoA

Here's a Youtube link to the British comedy show 'Not the Nine O'clock News': a man goes into a hi fi shop and tries to buy something without being patronised, etc .

One of my favourite sketches

Geoff
    Man... Mr. Bean before he was Mr. Bean!

I hope we never make people feel like that around here.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X