Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planar/ribbon drivers good down to 250-Hz or so?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Planar/ribbon drivers good down to 250-Hz or so?

    Are there any ribbon/planar drivers out there that will cover 250-Hz to 20k?

    Not looking to build an array, looking for a single driver that will cover that range with decent efficiency and produce decent SPL.

    Expensive is okay, provided it checks all the boxes and the sound is good.

  • #2
    Magnepans are nice and fit your requirements

    Comment


    • #3
      Eminent Technology uses midrange planar drivers from 150 to 15000 hz .
      http://www.eminent-tech.com/techsuppt.htm#disc

      I have Monsoon MM700 planar speakers which are 2.1 system using a pair of mid/high planar drivers.

      Here is a review of Eminent Technology speaker by Stereophile.
      https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...8et/index.html

      Comment


      • #4
        https://www.parts-express.com/bohlen...ducer--264-750

        Check these out!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by howard View Post
          I saw them but the frequency range extended to 6k, according to the documentation. I'd like to get out to 15k - 20k.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dynamo View Post
            Magnepans are nice and fit your requirements
            But I think they only sell completed speakers, I'm looking for a driver if possible.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by philthien View Post
              Are there any ribbon/planar drivers out there that will cover 250-Hz to 20k?

              Not looking to build an array, looking for a single driver that will cover that range with decent efficiency and produce decent SPL.

              Expensive is okay, provided it checks all the boxes and the sound is good.
              Newform research is what you're looking for. http://www.newformresearch.com/

              I have heard one of their speakers and it was very nice. Since it is a free standing ribbon, it does give a line array presentation.

              HTH

              Jim

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

                Newform research is what you're looking for. http://www.newformresearch.com/

                I have heard one of their speakers and it was very nice. Since it is a free standing ribbon, it does give a line array presentation.

                HTH

                Jim
                Looks like most of their ribbons can hit 1k.

                I don't know anything about ribbons, but I'm guessing I'm not going to find anything that can hit 250-ish Hz.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by philthien View Post

                  But I think they only sell completed speakers, I'm looking for a driver if possible.
                  I know, I was just giving you a hard time

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You're realistically looking for something like the Bohlender Graebener RD's, whether it be RD40, RD50, or RD75. All 3 were discontinued with us. the RD75 was 264-700 if you wanted to look at it.

                    Scott
                    All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

                    Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      You're realistically looking for something like the Bohlender Graebener RD's, whether it be RD40, RD50, or RD75. All 3 were discontinued with us. the RD75 was 264-700 if you wanted to look at it.

                      Scott
                      Yep, looks like those are about what I was looking for.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        http://www.eraudio.com.au/Mini_Panels/mini_panels.html

                        see this mini-panel

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dst View Post
                          Get these, I'd like to see/read about a project with them.
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by philthien View Post

                            Looks like most of their ribbons can hit 1k.

                            I don't know anything about ribbons, but I'm guessing I'm not going to find anything that can hit 250-ish Hz.
                            You are correct. I had it in my head that they were good to 200-300 Hz. but after a 2nd look I see they are recommended for 1K crossovers.

                            Sorry!

                            Jim

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I can't think of the company, but maybe can give you enough info to get you started. Northcreek Audio carried an Italian made panel speaker. They were /are very good and I am sure will get very close to the bottom end you are looking for.
                              craigk

                              " Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X