Favorite budget caps for midwoofer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite budget caps for midwoofer?

Most of my Diy experience is with amplifiers, and i could give impressions on many, many caps in those applications. I only started to dabble with speakers over the last couple years, so cap use is limited in crossovers. I've tried a few, but I would like to know your favorites, specifically for a midwoofer and why. Some say you can't hear a difference, but Im one that believes there are subtle differences, even in budget caps.
    Some of my experiences,

Dayton poly- Fairly clean and clear, but soft on bass. (Better for tweeter)
    Audyn q4- great at first, then gets a little mushy and flat. (Only one speaker use)
    Mkp Audiophiler- limited values sold here at PE, have a slight edge to the sound, but overall, a little better than the daytons.
    Npe- fairly neutral, does nothing wrong, but nothing great.
    Solen- warm and soft, slightly better than Q4. (only one speaker use)

Ideally I would like a fairly balanced cap for a midwoofer, like the Npe, but better. So what is your favorite budget cap for midwoofer?

Just opened a can-o-worms there. I think you'll get vastly varying opinions from different caps make no difference in sound quality to the exact opposite. Just for the record, I've been filling the parts bin with those red mkp audiophilers (they've all measured better than advertised) and PE's npes. Generally I'll use the npe when a large value is needed on the woofer, although with my old ears it's doubtful I could hear the difference on the tweeter or mid.
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
      Just opened a can-o-worms there. I think you'll get vastly varying opinions from different caps make no difference in sound quality to the exact opposite. Just for the record, I've been filling the parts bin with those red mkp audiophilers (they've all measured better than advertised) and PE's npes. Generally I'll use the npe when a large value is needed on the woofer, although with my old ears it's doubtful I could hear the difference on the tweeter or mid.
      Yes, sound is subjective, and there are varing opinions. I have zero intentions of starting a flame war. I just want to know what others use, and why. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Maybe the only way to see if capacitor selection makes a real difference would be to make a pair of speakers using one brand/type of capacitor in each crossover, but that's probably not realistic for most people.

All my DIY speakers have used 'budget' but good quality parts.

I've used Dayton PMPC and NPE capacitors - for large values - and am very happy with them. Dayton also make a slightly cheaper product 'DMPC' but I thought the extra dollar for the PMPC to be good value, although they probably sound the same!

I've also used "Cross-caps", which PE doesn't sell, and I'm happy with them, too.

In Oz, good quality capacitors range from about A$3 to $25 for a 20 microfarad.

As I'm happy with those brands and value, I see no reason for paying A$150 plus for 'premium' capacitors. I'd rather spend the money on music...

Geoff

Comment

Thanks Geoff, I agree, only interested in budget caps for this purpose. Are you referring to the Jantzen Cross-cap? PE does sell those.

Comment

Actually, the way to tell the difference is to have people pick them out of a lineup. The differences exist, but the reality is that confirmation bias swamps the audible differences - given how excitedly people talk about how a capacitor sounds, I would imagine they can pick them out of a lineup. Odds are, most of us cannot identify the type - much less the brand - when sight is removed.

So, stick with caps that hit measured values and offer reasonably low ESR. Most cheap poly caps will suffice and it will be impossible to pick them out of a lineup. In the real world, it is way more important to know what you are doing within a crossover topology, cabinet construction, and understanding HD than what kind of capacitor you are using. It doesn't hurt to roll caps once you are fairly sure switching values is not yielding improvements.

So to answer your question, the correct cap is the one that yields the sound you are after - most of the time that will be rooted in a value, not a type or brand.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
              Thanks Geoff, I agree, only interested in budget caps for this purpose. Are you referring to the Jantzen Cross-cap? PE does sell those.
              Yes, I hadn't read the label....

Geoff

Comment

johnnyrichards:
                I know people get excited talking about high-end caps, but not usually low end cheaper stuff. I also realize that dieurlectric, tolerance, and Esr are more important. I get it, just looking to try different products.

Comment

The Audyn Q4's are quite inexpensive and get good reviews, both on the project pages and threads like this .

Comment

I like Solens across woofers, not in series with tweeters as they sound a bit gritty.
                    Q4 is the best bargain poly cap out there, IMO. I don't like the Daytons as much, and btw, the PMPC = DMPC, just with a different color epoxy fill and measured value restrictions. They aren't bad, but I prefer the Q4.
                    CrossCaps are okay, but the leads are fragile, and I prefer the Blue, Red and Silver models to the CrossCaps.
                    Another bargain would be Cebo caps, and you should be able to find them. Quick and resolving caps that gave my best used a good run for the cost.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I found Solen gritty too (on output of dac though). The cheap white Mundorf mkp sound pretty neutral to my ears.

Comment

Wolf: I'll have to try those cebo caps. I think I've only seen them for sale at one site.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                          The Audyn Q4's are quite inexpensive and get good reviews, both on the project pages and threads like this .
                          They are popular, I might have to revisit them.

Comment

Polar Cap capacitors by Rival Acoustics are audiophile grade with 400 VDC and tolerance of ± 3%.
                            No matter where you go, there you are.
                            Website

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
                              Polar Cap capacitors by Rival Acoustics are audiophile grade with 400 VDC and tolerance of ± 3%.
                              Thanks for the info, prices seem reasonable, but limited values from what I found.

Comment

Working...
                              X