Jeff Bagby's Kairos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ligs View Post
    It is interesting that Andrew Jones(Infinity, KEF, TAD, Pioneer,Elac) does not listen to other people's speakers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNNU47nXQN0
    I think everyone should pursue his or her own flavors and tastes.

BTW, I have a entire folder of speaker designs published by Jeff. Whenever I got a whim to play with speakers, I always looked at Jeff's designs as the starting point. Jeff, thanks for sharing your hobby with us over the years.

George
    Andrew Jones is wise, anything he said about anyone else's speakers would be scrutinized like he was the fed chair.

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post

Andrew Jones is wise, anything he said about anyone else's speakers would be scrutinized like he was the fed chair.
      By the way, Andrew listened to the Revolutions and loved them. He gave me some glowing comments.
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I enjoy the speakers Jeff brings to Fort Wayne. Its special to hear drivers I will not experience anywhere else. I do hope you continue to post your thoughts and write papers that we can find and learn from.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Ken Kantor complimented me once. Henry Klipsch and Dr Bose have not.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Thanks for everything Jeff. Your designs and generosity were what brought me into this hobby. Both you and Jon Marsh. Sadly, he has had to reduce his online presence as well.

Comment

Jeff Bagby - When I think of DIY speakers this is the name that I think of first. When I think of Jeff I think of a kind and generous person who has carried the flag for people that want to make their own speakers. I am so thankful that I got to meet you at your seminar in Kokomo. It was the high point of my interest in building speakers which has lasted for over 50 years. I applaud you!

Comment

Hey Jeff,

Glad to see you chiming in again.

I wish you good health and swift recovery.

-matt

Comment

Originally posted by lucadvt View Post
                  Hi, first of all sorry for my English..

I want to build Kairos and I bought the crossover kit from Meniscus Audio.
                  Luca I would encourage you to try Jeff's crossover, it's good that Craig has an opinion (as we alldo) but keep in mind Jeff has essentially written the book on DIY crossover design, I would consider comparing any changes or other options out there with what Jeff came up with.

Also keep in mind there is no one perfect crossover for any given combination of speakers. There will be personal preferences and we will all hear and evaluate what we hear differently, and that's OK and how it's supposed to be. Every crossover designer out there arrives at a final design by accepting compromises and choosing some strengths over others to arrive at what they feel is an optimal position, Jeff has proven he can do this really well better than anyone most of us have seen, but it doesn't mean that given the chance, Jeff wouldn't have made different choices as well.

Keep us posted on what you find and decide!

Javad

--
                  Javad Shadzi
                  Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Regarding some of the comments about feedback, etc, I've been a part of this DIY speaker building community for about 2 years now (I started posting here early 2016), I personally have grown tremendously because of people's feedback, because people here, on DIY Audio, on AVS and at events told me what they didn't like about what I was doing. I have used those criticisms opportunistically to learn, grow and get better. It's also why I post so much detail about my projects, I don't like being crapped on, but most times I'm forced to reconsider how I do or think about something when someone forces me to see another perspective.

One of the most impactful times I can remember was when Ben (@Wolf) kindly messaged me privately after my first MWAF showing in 2016. Ben told me that I did a good job, but he felt my tweeter was bright (I now know it was by 2-3db) and that he felt that my finishing and workmanship on the project could have been better (my Fatboys entry). I'll be honest, I was a little miffed that he thought those things, but after chewing on it a little, I decided to take his feedback seriously and see if I could do something to address his concerns. My next project after that was his Stance design, and I felt like it was a quantum shift for how I built speakers and a huge step in my growth.

Compare for yourself, Fatboys - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-speaker-build

Stance Project - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...r-build-thread

I hope Ben doesn't stop giving feedback, especially in private where people can grapple with the info and not feel humiliated publicly, but feedback like that does drive all of us to be better. Ben if I haven't thanked you for your feedback and frankness with me, please accept my appreciation!

I was at Grand Rapids when Jeff demoed his speaker, in fact I was standing next to Jeff. Ben did come to Jeff and give some feedback, which was good, but nobody else did including Craig. Craig if you had feedback for Jeff, why not tell him there vs. how you've done it here?

I dont' think the issue is people accepting feedback, but how it's done or given. If people have opinions and want to whisper them among themselves, I don't see how that's productive. At every DIY event I've been to people have given me good and constructive feedback on my speakers, that's great and why I spend the time, money and effort to fly across the country to do these events. But if people had opinions they didn't share with me, then it's a missed opportunity for both of us to learn something.

I have a passion to help bring more people into DIY Speaker Building, the way we do that as the experienced experts is to learn how to give feedback constructively, as those who are mature in this community the onus is on us. If we don't do this right, we drive new comers away and the hobby dies off.

If we as a DIY community are going to resort to whispering secrets about other people's designs, then yes we have a huge feedback problem, but I don't see the issue being with the person who's being whispered about.

Javad Shadzi

--
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Jeff, I've always seen you as humble, generous, and honest, and a great contributor to this hobby. It distresses me greatly that you no longer find it fun. If I could turn that around, believe me, I would do it. This will be a great loss.

Best wishes to you in the future.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post
                        Regarding some of the comments about feedback, etc, I've been a part of this DIY speaker building community for about 2 years now (I started posting here early 2016), I personally have grown tremendously because of people's feedback, because people here, on DIY Audio, on AVS and at events told me what they didn't like about what I was doing. I have used those criticisms opportunistically to learn, grow and get better. It's also why I post so much detail about my projects, I don't like being crapped on, but most times I'm forced to reconsider how I do or think about something when someone forces me to see another perspective.

One of the most impactful times I can remember was when Ben (@Wolf) kindly messaged me privately after my first MWAF showing in 2016. Ben told me that I did a good job, but he felt my tweeter was bright (I now know it was by 2-3db) and that he felt that my finishing and workmanship on the project could have been better (my Fatboys entry). I'll be honest, I was a little miffed that he thought those things, but after chewing on it a little, I decided to take his feedback seriously and see if I could do something to address his concerns. My next project after that was his Stance design, and I felt like it was a quantum shift for how I built speakers and a huge step in my growth.

Compare for yourself, Fatboys - http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-speaker-build

I hope Ben doesn't stop giving feedback, especially in private where people can grapple with the info and not feel humiliated publicly, but feedback like that does drive all of us to be better. Ben if I haven't thanked you for your feedback and frankness with me, please accept my appreciation!

I was at Grand Rapids when Jeff demoed his speaker, in fact I was standing next to Jeff. Ben did come to Jeff and give some feedback, which was good, but nobody else did including Craig. Craig if you had feedback for Jeff, why not tell him there vs. how you've done it here?

I dont' think the issue is people accepting feedback, but how it's done or given. If people have opinions and want to whisper them among themselves, I don't see how that's productive. At every DIY event I've been to people have given me good and constructive feedback on my speakers, that's great and why I spend the time, money and effort to fly across the country to do these events. But if people had opinions they didn't share with me, then it's a missed opportunity for both of us to learn something.

I have a passion to help bring more people into DIY Speaker Building, the way we do that as the experienced experts is to learn how to give feedback constructively, as those who are mature in this community the onus is on us. If we don't do this right, we drive new comers away and the hobby dies off.

If we as a DIY community are going to resort to whispering secrets about other people's designs, then yes we have a huge feedback problem, but I don't see the issue being with the person who's being whispered about.

Javad Shadzi
                        Very nicely said!

Have Fun! That should be what this is about. Mark

Comment

Thank you, Javad. Well spoken words these are.
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

one more thing about the Kairos. It was an experiment to build a true time and phase accurate speaker. It accomplished its goals, but as such it is more limited regarding the listening axis, and more difficult to build with the 14 degree cabinet slope. Because of this, I also designed a more conventional speaker using the same drivers that go in a normal rectangular box with no tilt, and uses a more conventional LR4 acoustic crossover. This is a better speaker for some people, so I would offer it up as another option. For what it's worth, I do not make any money off any of these speakers, and if someone want to build the Kalasans, that is perfectly fine with me.

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/ad...aker-kit-pair/

Jeff
                            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post

Thanks, Craig. As general rule, I always avoid trashing someone else's speaker, but at the same time you are welcome to have whatever opinion you wish to have. I have received a lot of feedback from people who have built the kit. Many are emails from people I have never met. It is all very positive. These folks, had no reason to not give an honest opinion. They could say anything they wanted in an email and I didn't know them from Adam, or they could just skip writing me at all. However, all of the feedback has been very complementary. However, after listening to your designs last weekend, I can understand why you may not like mine. Everyone has their own tastes.

For what it is worth, I have made the decision to quit this hobby, so there won't be any more of my designs for you to tolerate down the road. I have always tried to be as generous and helpful as I possibly could to everyone who ask of me over the years, and I always provided my spreadsheet software for free. Lately, the increasing negativity in this hobby has taken much of the fun out of it for me, so I have decided to move on to other things. I do want to thank you for your friendship as I went through my illness though. It was very much appreciated.

Hey Jeff,

I'm sorry to hear you quitting this hobby, as I consider you a keystone (like Paul Carmody, Wolf, Scott, etc).

You designed the first great speakers that I've ever owned...a pair of Quarks in wenge on my office desk.

If you could choose one of your favorite designs as *the* Jeff Bagsby design, which one would you choose?
                              I'd like to build it.

-Matt

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post

Javad Shadzi

I'll also add that Javid's speakers blew me away at the Fort Mason meetup.
                                It was impeccably done, and by far the best speakers that I heard (I didn't hear the Linkwitz).

Javid's a very enthusiastic builder, and a great guy.
                                It's humbling to hear his growth story from Wolf.

Me, I'm just glad that smarter people than me have made these designs...so I can just get to making pretty boxes that sound good.
                                This is sorta like how I'm glad that Torres, Hauser, CH Martin, Lacote, Loar, etc have left behind blueprints for me to build guitars off of.
                                In the luthier circles, 99% of the guitars are based off published designs.

That 1% of difference tends to be over decades of tweaking and rebuilding the same designs.

Comment

Working...
                                X