Coaxial driver for center channel use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaxial driver for center channel use

I'm looking for a large-ish (6"-8") coaxial driver I could use for the mid/highs for a new center channel, probably in conjunction with 4x RS180Ps or 4X RS225Ps (or similar) to cover the low end. Eventually the plan would be to make corresponding mains out of the same drivers. The key here is it really needs to be a good midrange and capable of home theater output levels by itself, but also with low enough distortion for music use in the mains.

I have found two Seas drivers that look rather nice and might work well, (the C18EN002 @ $487, and the MR18REX/XF @ $200) but I don't want to limit myself to the first things I've found. I also considered the DIYSG Volt-based drivers, but my concern there is they wouldn't really be all that great for music in the mains. If someone has any input on the Volt series I'd love to hear about it though. Morel has a 6" here at PE (the Integra 624) that may also work, or the SB Acoustics SB16PFC25-4. I don't think I've seen any Dayton coaxials that would have sufficient output as they're both on the smaller side?

As far as cost goes, the C18EN002 can fit in my budget. I wouldn't really want to go more than that though.

This idea came up as I've been looking at large center channels as we are trying to avoid subwoofers as much as possible. I'd build the Statement II center, but I don't really want the open backed Statements as a match as that seems too limiting for future use. I once wanted to build Jed's 4CCSE, and even purchased the kits a while back, but there are aesthetic reasons for not going that route at this time.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some other thoughts on this.
    Last edited by technodanvan; 10-03-2018, 02:36 PM. Reason: Grammar 'n stuff.

Erich at DIYSoundGroup, last I heard, had a new high end coaxial coming (a neo based driver)... That being said, I have not heard anything about it in the past few months.

I have several Volt 10LX's set up in my theater (8 to be exact) as surround and atmos channels. In the ported enclosures, the output is more than enough for home theater, and I like the way they sound. I have actually never listened carefully to them in 2 channel, but others have reported being pleased.

Comment

Thanks for the response, I'd be interested to know more about their upcoming products. The website is always flaky for me, but it seems a lot of people are very happy with them.

I also may end up using Volt-based speakers for Atmos and surrounds, but I don't really want that to play into the decision on the fronts as those are much more important to me. Out of curiosity, how did you mount the Atmos speakers? Actually in the ceiling, or some other arrangement? I've been trying to figure out how to mount them and have it all look good, but I think something designed for ceiling and in-wall use would be more likely to get past my wife.

Comment

Eminence Beta-8CX with an Eminence ASD1001 and a good crossover might make a nice center channel.

There a lots of choices in pro sound drivers: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/pr...ge-speakers/32

Comment

I like the idea of a paper cone mid coax. I'm not sold on the screw in CD horns. My to try would be the Seas Prestige MR18REX and the SB16PFC25 but I hate the frame.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I've been considering doing the same thing for my surrounds and backs. My fronts are FaitalPro 8pr200 and cat 378 tweeter, with a UM10 for the bass. I'm thinking about FaitalPro 6hx150 or 8hx150. I haven't pulled the trigger because I'm still working on the crossover design. I haven't decided if I want to go active like the fronts or passive.

Comment

Unfortunately the FaitalPro has a similar problem as the SB Acoustics - the frame isn't round! I'm sure they're all fine drivers, but I am not confident in my ability to get those recessed. I suppose I should give it a shot someday, but not for this project!

I see Jon Marsh measured both Seas models when making the Minerva, but didn't publish the results for the MR18REX. Given the disparity in cost, it'd be prudent to check that out before jumping in the way deep end.

I, too, am concerned with the idea of CD-loaded coaxials, at least for my mains. They're obviously having quite a lot of success in the home theater realm right now, so maybe it'd be worth grabbing one or two to see how well they measure/sound?

Comment

I know you mentioned 6-8", so the SEAS C16N001/F 6" Excel coaxial appears to be well suited. There is even a very nice ready made crossover for it as well at that site up in Wisconsin.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...ers&Itemid=361

Comment

Thanks Waboo - I certainly like seeing some of the crossover work done already. I'm a novice, after all, so having a starting point would be nice. I did see this one earlier of course, but I'm a little concerned about the low-ish sensitivity on it. Stated as 85 dB for the mid, but that looks a little optimistic in the lower midrange, doesn't it? Always hard to tell from manufacturer graphs. Technically, I think this is a 5" driver too. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                    I like the idea of a paper cone mid coax. I'm not sold on the screw in CD horns. My to try would be the Seas Prestige MR18REX and the SB16PFC25 but I hate the frame.
                    Agreed. In the Eminence Beta8cx I tried the new Eminence neo CD and a Selenuum d220ti. Both exhibited similar behavior from about 3.5k and under. Not easy to work with and the off axis is limited. This is due, I believe, to the throat being so deep thru the woofer magnet.

The Seas and SB are excellent candidates as well as the Dayton Units. All need crossover designs to work their best of course.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
                      I know you mentioned 6-8", so the SEAS C16N001/F 6" Excel coaxial appears to be well suited. There is even a very nice ready made crossover for it as well at that site up in Wisconsin.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...ers&Itemid=361
                      In personal experience, the crossover will still need to be optimized for the end users cabinet dimensions as the crossover listed cannot take that into account
                      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

SEAS 16cm units are built on the same frame as their 15cm units except they have made the cone larger using the same size basket. If you look at SEAS 15cm woofers the effective piston area is 75 cm2, while their 16cm unit has a piston area of 94 cm2. Along with it's voice coil size/travel should be pretty robust for center channel work. For reference, the Satori 5" has a piston area of 70 cm2. At any rate, it's one option that I thought you might take a look at.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post

In personal experience, the crossover will still need to be optimized for the end users cabinet dimensions as the crossover listed cannot take that into account
                          True. I think they show maybe a baffle around 8" or so.

Comment

Originally posted by technodanvan View Post
                            Thanks for the response, I'd be interested to know more about their upcoming products. The website is always flaky for me, but it seems a lot of people are very happy with them.

I also may end up using Volt-based speakers for Atmos and surrounds, but I don't really want that to play into the decision on the fronts as those are much more important to me. Out of curiosity, how did you mount the Atmos speakers? Actually in the ceiling, or some other arrangement? I've been trying to figure out how to mount them and have it all look good, but I think something designed for ceiling and in-wall use would be more likely to get past my wife.
                            I used an approach similar to this for one pair. They are open baffle in my ceiling, but I am considering a backer box to help the bass.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ker-mount.html

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                              Of course. It's just nice to have a starting point, is all. Especially for those of that don't really know what we're doing.

Originally posted by Waboo View Post
                              SEAS 16cm units are built on the same frame as their 15cm units except they have made the cone larger using the same size basket. If you look at SEAS 15cm woofers the effective piston area is 75 cm2, while their 16cm unit has a piston area of 94 cm2. Along with it's voice coil size/travel should be pretty robust for center channel work. For reference, the Satori 5" has a piston area of 70 cm2. At any rate, it's one option that I thought you might take a look at.
                              I do appreciate your suggestion Waboo! I will look at it again before making a decision. Given the cost though, I have to think the MR18REX would be a better option.

Originally posted by nater View Post

I used an approach similar to this for one pair. They are open baffle in my ceiling, but I am considering a backer box to help the bass.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ker-mount.html
                              Edit: Thanks for the link! I'm probably a couple years away from doing any sort of surround sound, but it's interesting to see how other people are doing it all the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X