AST2560 Waveguide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AST2560 Waveguide

My upcoming design will be using the AST2560 tweeter. The baffle will have a waveguide with a 1" throat milled in to it. Pete recommended having an enclosure on the back of the tweeter. So started playing around with a 3D printer and figured I could take the waveguide designed in to the baffle and print that as well. If anyone else would like to use this tweeter, they are welcome to the 3D print files, assuming Pete is okay with people having access to his crossover. This first round is VERY crude. Basically wanted to make sure all the dimensions were correct and fitted. The waveguide has 4 holes in each of the corners which will align with holes on the tweeter cup. Then you just bolt on to a 1" baffle.

Aurum Cantus recommended to me a really small sealed chamber be used behind this tweeter, about 7-1/2 cubic inches, and stuffed with 5-10 grams of wool or polyester fiber. They also recommend leaving on the membrane that's affixed to the back of this tweeter even with the added sealed enclosure (which some people that have used it in a mono-pole application say it performs better without that membrane). AC also told me that a larger sealed chamber can be used, but not how much larger, as long as it's stuffed appropriately. I've attached the mounting and sealed chamber drawing AC sent me.
    Paul
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AST2560 mounting drawing.gif
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1389653

Comment

I would say that it similar to what I have except mine it 50mm deep instead of 30. As Pete has been working on the XO, I believe he said the one he built is about 2" deep. That's is what I based my design off of.

Comment

IMHO, the AST2560 is an exceptional tweeter and I think you'll like it a lot. Pete also gave Curt and I his recommendation. We used it in an open back cabinet configuration with a bit of foam lining the walls in our Bordeaux design. I also had a 64/10 Raal at the time and I preferred the AST2560's sound quality.

Jim

Comment

The question I have for you (and/or Pete) is: Did you leave the membrane attached on the back of the tweeter as received or not? I was surprised when the Aurum Cantus person who responded to my query said, yes, even when mounted in the small, sealed box. I asked again just to make sure he didn't misspeak, but he reaffirmed it should be left on.

The drawing says to use 5-10 grams of wool or polyester fiber in that small chamber. Ten grams equals ~1/3 of an ounce, if my calculations were correct, which is a very small amount, but in that small chamber it translates to a stuffing density of 5 lb/ft3, and that's dense.
          Paul

Originally posted by Ironman129 View Post
          I would say that it similar to what I have except mine it 50mm deep instead of 30. As Pete has been working on the XO, I believe he said the one he built is about 2" deep. That's is what I based my design off of.

Comment

Paul K. I'm afraid that is a question for Pete. I had it in my head that he removed it, but I looked back at his posts with the initial measurements, and all he said was the chamber needs to be air tight because the felt pad won't protect against the pressure of the woofer, especially in a sealed cabinet.

Jim Holtz That's some high praises for the tweeter! Thanks. It really makes me look forward to hearing it. As I have been working on the 3D print design, I have received quotes around $35 for the waveguide and back chamber to be printed. Hopefully that will allow more people to use the tweeter in other designs in the future.

Comment

Working...
            X