X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philthien
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Feb 2007

I cannot say enough good things about these:

I use two of them in my biamped configuration.

They come with rather large power bricks you have to put somewhere. In my instance, I got MeanWell fanless power supplies and my amps each sits on top of the supply. I only really did this because I didn't have any good spots to tuck the power supplies, my system is a bit out in the open.

Got the fanless 200-watt 36V power supplies today, they're very nice. In fact, nice enough that I'll likely just put feet on the bottoms and let amps live on top

Comment

• djg
      Seasoned Veteran
      • May 2008

I was going to suggest those, but from what I've read, and from Millstonmike's posts, the power specs are a bit inflated. I have a SMSL and a Nobsound chip amp, both sound good to me. I am considering using a SMSL amp for the top half amp on my new LXminis, and looping the bottom back into my HK receiver. Pre out to Mini DSP, back into HK power amp and SMSL amp. Currently I have two Class D Audio amps in service. Bulky, stowed under end table. My electronic pile is getting out of hand.

Comment

• philthien
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by djg
        I was going to suggest those, but from what I've read, and from Millstonmike's posts, the power specs are a bit inflated. I have a SMSL and a Nobsound chip amp, both sound good to me. I am considering using a SMSL amp for the top half amp on my new LXminis, and looping the bottom back into my HK receiver. Pre out to Mini DSP, back into HK power amp and SMSL amp. Currently I have two Class D Audio amps in service.
        The power supplies they come with are I think 160-watt bricks, so the amps clearly aren't going to do 160-WPC as shipped.

With larger power supplies they perhaps might achieve those levels briefly, but I think the distortion would be unacceptably high.

I haven't felt like I've been short watts at any time with the SMSL amps, though, and I likely listen at higher SPL than a lot of you.

I think their incredible control in the bass regions actually makes them sound a little better than some of my previous amps (that includes Carver, Adcom, Crown, Threshold).

Comment

• oldloder
          Midrange Member
          • Jul 2009

philthien, these are interesting amps. I didn't really consider chip amps as an option because they seem to be everywhere, new ones popping up all over and I don't know about their inherent durability or due to potentially cheap/poor construction in the long or short term. But for other projects and curiosities, how long have you been using them and what do you drive with them?

Comment

• oldloder
            Midrange Member
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kornbread
            Why not just use an in wall volume control? https://www.parts-express.com/cat/in...-controls/1956
            I did consider it, but I found the Emo A-100's right off the bat and they seem so perfect for him aesthetically and functionally I just needed to find one more amp to have a great setup for him. I never saw any that looked aesthetically the way they'd like them and they all appear a little cheesier than what we're upgrading from. I'm always improving the looks of things for him and want him to see it and say "wow" and really have it deliver.

Comment

• scottq
              • Dec 2005

You can always check your local Craigslist and/or Facebook for-sale pages for used receivers. Could even get a remote with the volume control
              SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
              Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
              SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
              SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

• oldloder
                Midrange Member
                • Jul 2009

I'm on the lookout for things there but used stuff is mostly for myself. ;) Actually scored a used sub for him this past Spring ... the exact same sub and the exact same build ... Zaph's design for the RSS315HF ... the exact same week was planning to order the parts. Couldn't believe it. Good things out there for sure. In this case though, I'm going all new for the best of longevity and at least some decent warranties.

Comment

• philthien
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oldloder
                  philthien, these are interesting amps. I didn't really consider chip amps as an option because they seem to be everywhere, new ones popping up all over and I don't know about their inherent durability or due to potentially cheap/poor construction in the long or short term. But for other projects and curiosities, how long have you been using them and what do you drive with them?
                  First one Nov. 2015, second one Sep. 2017. My speakers aren't super-efficient and I do drive things to quite loud levels. They've been rock solid.

Comment

• oldloder
                    Midrange Member
                    • Jul 2009

Interesting ... have a build for myself coming hopefully this winter .... there will be 2 woofers per side driven individually and since you feel they are especially good for low end control maybe I'll give a couple of these a try. Or, give them a whirl for him and if it doesn't seem to be the right fit I would adopt them.

Comment

• Sydney
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Dec 2010

I should be clear, I'm looking for something with sturdy, reliable build quality that will last for many years.
                      I agree with the ProAmp/Commercial market selection.
                      Perhaps the intent is buying new, though there can be deals found ( even on Crowns ) in the used market.
                      ( Knew an "A" line Sound Provider that used 22 Crown amps for years with out issues. )
                      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...