Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish tweed grill cloth

Hi all,
    The subject probably said it all to you, can I use standard Irish Tweed for a grill cloth?

Grill cloth is designed to be as acoustically transparent as possible. Even so, higher performance designs usually forego using it. Even the best absorbs and reflects significant amounts of high frequency energy. My guess is that Irish Tweed will absorb high frequencies very significantly. You might get away with it for say, a subwoofer.
    Francis

Comment

I say if you like the look of it, then use it. It may block some highs, everything is a trade off. Style is important if the speakers are in a main living area.

Comment

You will have some loss of high freq using a dense cloth, so get out your mic and apply EQ, or measure with the cloth in place when designing.
        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
          You will have some loss of high freq using a dense cloth, so get out your mic and apply EQ, or measure with the cloth in place when designing.
          You over estimate my ability dcibel!
          Thanks guys,
          Plan is to do a bluetooth sprite or similar with Irish oak cabinet and Irish tweed from a local mill.

Comment

Tweed is a pretty broad term. There's loose and tightly woven tweed fabric. I have a Scottish tweed long overcoat that's pretty dense. I have an old American made Pendleton sport coat that is a looser weave.

Comment

I've used PE' s unpacked cabinet carpet, believe it or not, and could not hear a difference between uncovered, but I'm 47 and only hear out to 14-15k.
              I'd say if you have it, try it and see what you think.
              TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Working...
              X