Bluetooth boom box/speaker ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth boom box/speaker ideas

Guys, I'm thinking of taking on a small project leading up to xmas which is small enough to be portable and easier enough to use at a BBQ or for the kids. First I'll tell uou what I'm thinking either the tectronics 3.5in or ND91 full range drivers with another 2*15 watt amp with Bluetooth. An amp with that output has worked perfectly for the PC speakers to date, which is the same for the tectronics.

I would like some bass, but doesn't have to be something.worthy of a sound off competition , but enough to get the most out.of.the smaller woofers. I'm guessing that a sealed box (from what I have read to date) limits the output and a way around this is using a passive radiator when you can't use a port. But would like the smallest enclosure required to satisfy this..plus I might do some more kerfing for this.

First stage would be hardwired and second would be the introduction of a battery pack.

I would love to hear some ideas for boxes or even recommendation for.some.speakers (ie smaller driver and bigger PR) if that is a more efficient option.

Most builds on YouTube seem extremely small and hard to know how it actually sounds and get the impression it is more about looks and hits than function but honestly it's probably what I'll end up doing......but I'm more than willing to listen and take on board as long as it still fits a budget.

I would love to make a 2 way, but the idea still scares me of making a cross over and it's probably not needed for this application as there are a few cheap BT speakers on the market, but not one I built.

From a quality/price standpoint you might try the isetta. The simplist design would be the Sprite. Either design has bass on a budget.

Comment

+ 1 on the Isetta. It involves a simple filter, but it's pretty easy to build. I also built a version of the Madeleine (based on the Overnight Sensations. It's a bit more work, but the sound is hard to beat.. In either case, you will enjoy the experience!

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
        ... I'm thinking either the tectronics 3.5in or ND91 full range drivers with another 2*15 watt amp with Bluetooth. ...
        Have you thought about how loud you'd like this to get?

ND91's are 82db/W, the Fountek's in the Isetta are 86 dB/W. A 15W amp gives you about +13dB, so these sytems peak at 95-100dB at full power (@10% distortion with these amps?)

I think that's fine for a desk (I use FR88's with a 15W DTA2), but if you want to use it outside (barbecue?), you'll find higher sensitivity drivers have some great benefits. I used PS180 drivers for an outdoor-optimized system. Their near 95 dB/W sensitivity means that 1W gets them as loud as the ND91's peak output. That's a great reduction in power requirements, so a great reduction in battery requirements. Note that the PS180's need a filter, and I ported them to they reached @70Hz if placed on the ground. Look for the "Drive-Ins."

To my mind, in any portable system, it's battery life that matters. There are other higher-sensitivity drivers out there; have a look.

Have fun,
        Frank

Comment

Seriously, build an overnight sensations boombox. Just build the speakers in one enclosure with a panel in the middle to separate. Volume is more than adequate, base is superb for such a small box. Buy the parts express class D board with bluetooth. I bought a fosi amp from amazon with bluetooth just because I wanted tone control, ripped it out of its case, and countersunk the front plate into the speaker. It's pretty nice. I bought a talentcell 6000mh portable battery, it will run this box for many hours. Unless you are a competent designer, use a proven build. The isetta looks good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiller View Post
            Seriously, build an overnight sensations boombox. Just build the speakers in one enclosure with a panel in the middle to separate. Volume is more than adequate, base is superb for such a small box. Buy the parts express class D board with bluetooth. I bought a fosi amp from amazon with bluetooth just because I wanted tone control, ripped it out of its case, and countersunk the front plate into the speaker. It's pretty nice. I bought a talentcell 6000mh portable battery, it will run this box for many hours. Unless you are a competent designer, use a proven build. The isetta looks good too.
            that is a funky looking piece of kit.

Comment

Originally posted by fbov View Post
              Have you thought about how loud you'd like this to get?

ND91's are 82db/W, the Fountek's in the Isetta are 86 dB/W. A 15W amp gives you about +13dB, so these sytems peak at 95-100dB at full power (@10% distortion with these amps?)

I think that's fine for a desk (I use FR88's with a 15W DTA2), but if you want to use it outside (barbecue?), you'll find higher sensitivity drivers have some great benefits. I used PS180 drivers for an outdoor-optimized system. Their near 95 dB/W sensitivity means that 1W gets them as loud as the ND91's peak output. That's a great reduction in power requirements, so a great reduction in battery requirements. Note that the PS180's need a filter, and I ported them to they reached @70Hz if placed on the ground. Look for the "Drive-Ins."

To my mind, in any portable system, it's battery life that matters. There are other higher-sensitivity drivers out there; have a look.

Have fun,
              Frank
              Interesting question, i wouldn't say that loud that i would start rattling light fittings Basically i have done a quick design based on using a single full range per box again (from feedback from here). Currently the suggestion is if i use the tectonics like i did in my T Line build, that i would get the best out of a 0.15cu.ft chamber with a 1inch port. I would consider using the same DTA2 board as it works well with the TLine and look at putting a separate Bluetooth board. I did like the idea of the KAB 2x15 watt board, but it seems to have attracted some negative reviews about bugs. It might be a staged build, where get it corded to start and then add batteries etc later. With all of that said, currently i'm looking at a box that is roughly 450mm wide and 140mm high and deep which may be a stretch to refer to it as portable but may be similar to the Overnight sensations (in size) looking at that photo above, I dont really have the knowledge to make a crossover and thinking i could make something for a decent price and meet the basic needs of mine The T Lines all up cost about 100 AUD and that was for everything including timber and paint (remembering the AUD is crap against the USD), i would love to spend something similar again. I have set myself some creative goals and going to try use one continuous piece of timber and 180 degree kerf the ends, similar to the big hifi cabinet i've been tinkering with, but a little different.

at current i'm tending to try a vented box with the tectonics again, powered by the DTA2 amp and maybe a sure BT board, although noticing the smaller box requirements have now thought maybe the ND91's could be an alternative.

Very interesting about the ND91's as they require a much smaller box (sealed or vented) than my tectonics and they seem to be quite popular within this DIY space.

Comment

I'm trying to understand the graphs, which is the better one? or more simply put, is the blue better because it is technically consistent with limited sags and crests, but at the same time it looks flat. All i have done was add the two drivers and was interested in box sizes, based on the blue the ND91's would need a combined volume of about 0.18 cu.ft, which is similar to one side of the tectonics. the DA's will need a 6inch long 1inch port, where the techs seem to be 3inch long, 1 inch port.

Comment

The ND91s use a much smaller box than the ND90s (you CAN get by w/a port tube on the larger (90) box, but almost HAVE to go PR w/the smaller (91) box), but they also don't go as low (80-ish vs 50-ish Hz). Personally I'd have to have a sub w/most 91 designs, whereas I can get by w/out one w/most 90 designs.

If your design needs to have BSC (for baffle step), then I'd go w/the upper curve - 'cause you're looking at about +4dB of BSC right there.

Comment

As per usual I got bored and cut some timber based on the 0.15cu.ft per enclosure and got the one piece of wood and next thing I know........guess I'll be getting the tectonics again....

Comment

Working...
                    X