Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer Apm Plate or Bheringer iNuke

Hi Folks,

What are your thoughts around using Subwoofer Amplifier Plates vs something like Bheringer iNuke 6000DSP or 3000DSP which are much 'cheaper per watt' to feed a pair of Ultimax Subwoofers?

Any pros and cons you can think about?

Thanks!

Did they discontinue the iNuke series? All I see on PE's site are the old EP series and a newer NX series.
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
      Did they discontinue the iNuke series? All I see on PE's site are the old EP series and a newer NX series.
      Yes they did, they have basically the same amps on a different chassis now and better looking in black and less bright LEDs but the people that has used them are saying is the same stuff even the same DSP software...

This is how they look now:
      Attached Files

Comment

The sub plates have been failure prone for me....I vote for Behringer or Crown.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
          The sub plates have been failure prone for me....I vote for Behringer or Crown.
          I'm unfamiliar with Crown models, what would be the equivalents to the NU3000DSP or NU6000DSP if any?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexRivera View Post

Yes they did, they have basically the same amps on a different chassis now and better looking in black and less bright LEDs but the people that has used them are saying is the same stuff even the same DSP software...

This is how they look now:
            Do the new ones have much fan noise, the old eps' do?
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

Do the new ones have much fan noise, the old eps' do?
              It looks like they still do, users are saying that is the same thing just a few minor changes.

Comment

Going back to the original question regarding pros and cons...

Standalone amps like the Behringer usually offer more watts per dollar. Used to have more DSP options, but more plate amps are including DSP. Often have noisier fans, but if the amp is placed in a separate room (which is often the case in a dedicated Home Theater) this may not matter and there seem to be simple fan mods to replace the fans with something quieter.

Plate amps can be more convenient, especially if you don't have rack-space for the pro-amp. I've been looking into the wi-fi receivers for subs and that would require a plate amp.

Comment

I have two failed iNuke 3000DSPs at home, with no means of getting them repaired. Neither of them failed under anything close to extended or heavy use. I will not be buying Behringer again.

One advantage that plate amps have for me is they're usually dual-voltage (I live in a 220V country). Other than that, a standalone amp is what I'd probably look for.
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                    I have two failed iNuke 3000DSPs at home, with no means of getting them repaired. Neither of them failed under anything close to extended or heavy use. I will not be buying Behringer again.

One advantage that plate amps have for me is they're usually dual-voltage (I live in a 220V country). Other than that, a standalone amp is what I'd probably look for.
                    That's really unfortunate Brian. Ive been running a 1000dsp for almost 2 years and a 3000dsp for about 3years now in a commercial application that sees use nearly daily. Neither are pushed hard constantly. No issues out of either.

Aren't most PA amps dual voltage?
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                      Aren't most PA amps dual voltage?
                      Not the ones I've come across.

Thing is, I used to repair amps at one time - class AB jobs. It was usually pretty easy to trace the problem down to an errant driver or output transistor. These amps? It's a bit more difficult to trace identify where the problem parts are.

Brian Steele
                      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                        ... I will not be buying Behringer again.....
                        Same here.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                        “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I vote stand-alone amp. Not necessarily Behringer, but something similar. Peavey IPR2 series work well. I have an IPR2 7500, and haven't read about too many failures out in the field. A lot of the HT guys are going with clone amps which put out stupid amounts of power for the dollar. One dude on AVS has something along the lines of 84kW for his HT subs via mostly clone amps.

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                            I vote stand-alone amp. Not necessarily Behringer, but something similar. Peavey IPR2 series work well. I have an IPR2 7500, and haven't read about too many failures out in the field. A lot of the HT guys are going with clone amps which put out stupid amounts of power for the dollar. One dude on AVS has something along the lines of 84kW for his HT subs via mostly clone amps.
                            One of the more prolific testers of amps recommended the Pro-lite (Crest) amps over the IPR2 amps over on AVS.

To the OP, I believe the consensus on AVS would be the NX behringers as the cheapest recommended option, above that would be the Crest Pro-lites, and at the top of the heap (most expensive) is the Speakerpower amps. Speakerpower offers both plate and rack solutions.

The wildcards are the Lab Gruppen clone amps from XBS (Sinbosen), Smiths, or Sanway which are direct from China. Seems like many users are reporting favourable results and the testing of those particular brands show them to produce their claimed output power.

Comment

Originally posted by scottvalentin View Post

One of the more prolific testers of amps recommended the Pro-lite (Crest) amps over the IPR2 amps over on AVS.

To the OP, I believe the consensus on AVS would be the NX behringers as the cheapest recommended option, above that would be the Crest Pro-lites, and at the top of the heap (most expensive) is the Speakerpower amps. Speakerpower offers both plate and rack solutions.

The wildcards are the Lab Gruppen clone amps from XBS (Sinbosen), Smiths, or Sanway which are direct from China. Seems like many users are reporting favourable results and the testing of those particular brands show them to produce their claimed output power.
                              Yup I agree, had it not been for the great deal I got on my IPR2-7500, I would have gotten a Pro-lite 7500. That XBS FP20k is very tempting for what they're asking, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X