Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

12th annual CKY-DIY will be November 10th, 2018...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    started a topic 12th annual CKY-DIY will be November 10th, 2018...

12th annual CKY-DIY will be November 10th, 2018...

Date confirmed! November 10th, 2018, should be a good time! It will be at FirstBuild (open 9am-5pm, we're usually out by 4pm) in Louisville, KY, thanks to our fellow member Tim Gillespie (@tag_).

This is 3 weeks out, (which is more notice than last year) but I feel it's a good time for those that can attend. We currently need some speaker stands, but a CD source, preamp, and amplifier should be solid. I will be bringing my Crown amp, speaker switch box if needed, speaker cables, a Marantz cd player, and balanced XLR interconnects. If anyone can help and bring stands or something else possibly required, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping we can order pizza and somebody can pick it up like we did again last year. It's so much easier to stay on site at 1B than to try and all go and come back. You lose sooo much time that way, and we can still listen while we eat this way, whether background, or critical.

I assume there will be a swap meet table as usual.

1stBuild address:

1stBuild
    333 east Brandeis
    Louisville, KY 40208

Later,
    Wolf

• 6thplanet
    replied
    Fantastic time guys! Great to get to hang out for the day. Wish I would have had a project to play, definitely will next year!

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I didn't see you there, Craig. How'd you hear Adam's set? He only had them finished a couple days before the event.

Later,
    Wolf
    I thought he had these at another show, maybe I have not heard this one.
    Edit time. Just looked at my pic's , this is not the speaker I thought it was.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    Who's hybrid open baffle speakers? Any details about them? They look awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I didn't see you there, Craig. How'd you hear Adam's set? He only had them finished a couple days before the event.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    ...and most enjoyed my Overdrive10 subwoofer as well!
    Agreed- Adam's 3-ways were spectacular!
    I think this is the 3rd time I've heard the Penguins, and the bass they can do is really good. He hit those outta the park!

Thanks for the comments on my Fenrir! I too find them to be really smooth.

Gear- Emotiva Stealth DC-1, Marantz CD player, and an ML No. 27 amplifier. This really was a great sounding set of components!

It was a great time! Thanks to Keith for the tunes, Tim for the space, Rory and Steve Fishe for the gear, and all whom attended making this a worthwhile endeavor!

Let's hope we can make this happen again next year,
    Wolf
    I really like the Fenrir too. Well balanced speaker. Also agree on Adam's speaker. Very nice with impressive bass.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    ...and most enjoyed my Overdrive10 subwoofer as well!
    Agreed- Adam's 3-ways were spectacular!
    I think this is the 3rd time I've heard the Penguins, and the bass they can do is really good. He hit those outta the park!

Thanks for the comments on my Fenrir! I too find them to be really smooth.

Gear- Emotiva Stealth DC-1, Marantz CD player, and an ML No. 27 amplifier. This really was a great sounding set of components!

It was a great time! Thanks to Keith for the tunes, Tim for the space, Rory and Steve Fishe for the gear, and all whom attended making this a worthwhile endeavor!

Let's hope we can make this happen again next year,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• gowa
    replied
    Those woofers in Ben's Fenrir design are on sale at a stupid price and with PE carrying the Wavecor 22 mm tweeters it would be a great inexpensive build.

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied
    Awesome thanks Keith!

Leave a comment:

• KEtheredge87
    replied
    I suspect a good many folks are on the road at the moment, so I'll report. The event was a great time! Tim and FirstBuild are amazing hosts, and went out of their way to add plenty of acoustic treatment to the space. Off the top of my head we had about 12 to 16 people total, 7 sets of speakers, and plenty of good tunes between the house cuts and Roy's sample discs. Adam wowed us all with his sapele baffle speakers. They needed no support on the bottom at all, rocking two anarchy 7" woofers, a satori mid, and viawave ribbon tweeters. Ani had his Penguins which put out way more low end than many 5 1/4 inch woofers anyone's heard before. A very nicely executed design. Ani also brought a Johnny Richards design with the Dayton DSA 6" woofer and RS28A tweeter which sounded great and looked classy in the curved Dayton audio cabinets (at least I think they were the Dayton cabinets) Ben's Fenrir design was super smooth and listenable. Rhythm Audio Design is selling it as a kit, and I think many people would enjoy it! Rory brought his Iguanas with the GRS 8" woofer and 4" mid with Beston planar tweeter, which really showcase what can be done with inexpensive drivers and great design. I brought my SuperBees and SevenSixTwo coaxial designs and even learned to keep the coaxes straight ahead vs toed in to maximize the Soundstage. All in all, a great time hanging out and listening to tunes with friends. So glad I got to attend and bring the house music tracks this year! For those interested, here's the track list Come Together - Jamie Dupuis Cover Wicked Game - Hannah Boulton A Perfect Circle - Magdalena Grim Fandango - DR Koncerthuset RHCP - Higher Ground Chateau - Matrix Reloaded
    Originally posted by DanP View Post
    Ok it's 5:00 - how was it!?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied
    Ok it's 5:00 - how was it!?

Leave a comment:

• Jim Griffin
    replied
    I will not be able to attend this year. Can not get away this afternoon. You guys have a great time and enjoy the music.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Looking forward to it, fellas!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• KEtheredge87
    replied
    If you have the absorbers covered, that will help my traveling load significantly. I was planning to bring a few panels myself. Otherwise, house tracks are almost done! My first time putting a disc together, so I hope it works out well!
    Originally posted by tag_ View Post
    The FirstBuild makerspace and shop will be closed for the event, so there shouldn't be an issue of people generating noise. I ordered some acoustic curtains that will hopefully arrive in time and have a handful of 2' x 4' and 2' x 8' wideband absorbers we can place around. If someone wants to bring an area rug or two we could use those. I'm gonna work with the facilities guy to make sure I can shut down HVAC as needed. Gonna try to make more absorbers that can live permanently in the rafters too.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• tag_
    replied
    The FirstBuild makerspace and shop will be closed for the event, so there shouldn't be an issue of people generating noise. I ordered some acoustic curtains that will hopefully arrive in time and have a handful of 2' x 4' and 2' x 8' wideband absorbers we can place around. If someone wants to bring an area rug or two we could use those. I'm gonna work with the facilities guy to make sure I can shut down HVAC as needed. Gonna try to make more absorbers that can live permanently in the rafters too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X