Vinyl Film Wrap for enclosures.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Film Wrap for enclosures.

Has anyone used vinyl film wrap, the same type of stuff used to customize cars, to finish their enclosures? I think carbon fiber would look great, or maybe a nice chrome orange!

Originally posted by AEIOU View Post
    Has anyone used vinyl film wrap, the same type of stuff used to customize cars, to finish their enclosures? I think carbon fiber would look great, or maybe a nice chrome orange!
    Unless your wrap is excellent quality and you prepare the surface well, and put it on properly, it may not look like you had hoped. I tried it once and the result was awful, especially the corners of the cabinet.

But if you got it right, eg with a carbon fibre look, it would be really cool.

Geoff

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...s-build-thread

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fi...hotoid=1279909

Comment

I used some of the carbon fiber wrap, and it looked good. But I found it was also very delicate and easily damaged. In the end I had to remove it and use something else. Probably true for all of the vinyl wraps.

Comment

I am using automotive vinyl on my ION 5.1 system. It is not as forgiving as you might hope, but looks great with the right prep. The two biggest mistakes I have found are (1) not preparing the wood to a glossy surface and (2) assuming that the vinyl will cover even minor imperfections. It won't stick well unless the wood is really well sealed, and any imperfections or joints will be visible. My experience differs from skatz though. Besides possibly peeling at corners, the Vivvid+ vinyl I bought is very durable. We even tested it by scraping a screwdriver across it. While it slightly marred the surface, it was otherwise unharmed. Here are a few photos. I used a combination of maple hardwood, walnut veneer, and blue vinyl:

Comment

I got some Carbon Fiber vinyl for my son's car subwoofer - 2 ft^3 box with two 10" drivers rear-mounted with a roundover. I also did not sand everything down as smooth as I should have on one of the edges where I had used some bondo.

I have googled pictures that look really good. In my case it was hard to apply on such a large enclosure (I have some small bubbles) and it did not work well on the roundovers - I thought I'd be able to use a hair-dryer and get it to stretch and adhere to the curve but it didn't. Every imperfection where I didn't sand the bondo showed right through.

However, I think I could do it over again and correct most of my mistakes. So if you do it, buy some extra for a test piece or two to get some practice.

Comment

I've used it twice and really like the results, not sure how long it will last though.

~Brandon

Soma Sonus
              DriverVault

Comment

Navy Guy's Juggernauts also use a vinyl wrap and he commented on the use of 3M vinyl primer, which I have seen some other posts about also.

Comment

auger, that makes me think of an old R-T-R

Comment

R-t-r?
                    ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                    DriverVault

Comment

LOL, reel to reel.

Comment

heh not quite that old
                        ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                        DriverVault

Comment

Me neither, but Chris is old!
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Yeah, as in Dunn Wer-kin.

My brother and I had one of these around 1969 or so -

Click image for larger version  Name:	panasonic_1969stereo_4_track_reeltoreel_rs-760s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	1391553

Click image for larger version

Name:	pana.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1391556
                            Last edited by Chris Roemer; 10-24-2018, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X