Moon Drops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moon Drops

Since I had a few minutes I thought I would post a few pictures, that will better explain the construction. The moon drops started life as a piece of 10 inch schedule 40 pic pipe, that is cut at angles, with the flats being mdf, that is screwed and epoxied in using West systems. The actual concept for this shape has been floating around in my head for twenty plus years, I finally got around to the construction earlier this year. I made sure to rough up the interior so the epoxy had something to bite, and I should mention that due to the complex shape required of the mdf pieces, they were not perfect, but it didn't matter as the epoxy serves as a structural filler.
    bottom interior roughed up an pre drilled bottom taped off to be epoxy filled

Hey Ross you asked for my zma and frd files....here is the zma for the dynavox, but I don't don't know if you want the frd, as is taken from the actual enclosure.
    Attached Files

Comment

I really enjoyed these at Iowa.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Does Nick make anything 'bad'? Not really...
        I liked the shape at InDIYana, and I'd like to hear them completed.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

John, thanks. Do you think that I got the voicing right?

Ben, these are a bit different from when you heard them at InDIYana, the crossover has changed. They will probably be my entry for MWAF, under $200, but I might bring them back to Indy.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the baffle installation. The baffle had to be glued in before cutting the face of the tube off, in order to prevent the tube from compressing in. I scored the tube on the table saw before gluing in the baffle, the cuts gave me a way to line everything up.

Comment

Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
              John, thanks. Do you think that I got the voicing right?
              Nick, I thought so. The tweeter and mid responses were one of the best at the show. Overall it was well balanced. There was maybe a hint of mid woofer stress but that's only after you told me to look for it. I thought the Moon Drops were equal to Ron's iron driver entry. I gave Rons a nod for imaging, but that was on chairs.
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I really liked them.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I can't knock the Vijon project where I used the LW5004 either. The midrange is really good, so I can approximate about where you came out in sound.

I knew they'd be different since you only mocked them up and had a disconnected XT19 at InDIYana.

I look forward to hearing them at both MWAF and InDIYana again!

Say- are the Moon Drops in 15 ltrs by chance? Tuned to 32 Hz? Just curious if they approximate the 'Ze Clonads' of shawn_a old lore (ca 2007). That was a great bass alignment!

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I recognize those enclosures now. I think they look really cool, but unfortunately I missed hearing them at InDIYana. I do like the style, though. Hopefully I will hear them at one of the upcoming events.

Comment

Nick, these looked awesome and sounded awesome too! It was nice to meet you and your lovely wife. I look forward to seeing and hearing what cool design you come up with next.
                      Craig

Comment

Ben, these are 11 liters tuned to about 48hz.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the feedback and positive comments. Here are a few more pictures of the stand brace ithat is mounted n the cabinet and the actual stand parts.

Comment

Here is a shot of the front of the tube roughly cut off, and you can see the top sticking out. The top was only screwed on at this point and not epoxied yet, because it needed to be removed for the stand and port installation.

Comment

The hole for the port and a pilot hole for the stand pass through and a view from the inside just before attaching the top

Comment

Working...
                              X