H/T Subs; Eight DSPed, Sealed 12"s; DC-300-8 or GRS 12SW-4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H/T Subs; Eight DSPed, Sealed 12"s; DC-300-8 or GRS 12SW-4

I am looking for a sealed home theater subwoofer solution and have considered many options, but I am currently most intrigued by a subwoofer box/bench mounted below my projector screen. I have modeled out 8 of the the Dayton DC-300-8 (with a Q around .7) or 8 of the GRS 12SW-4 (with a Q around 1) in Bassbox Pro (I can't get the file to load ATM). Both seem like they will work with signal processing as their outputs are low at the low hz, but there are a lot of them to make up for the low output, and since they are cheap, it's not a big deal to buy a lot of them.

I know enough about this to know I don't know much so my questions are; Is this a terrible idea for some reason? With signal processing what impact will the box q have on overall sound quality? What am I forgetting to ask.. :p

This is our primary viewing room/living room/entertaining space. I have space for upwards of 20 cuft though I certainly don't have to use that much. I plan on them being forward firing. I am currently planning on matching these to 3 behind-screen, in-wall, sealed MMTMM with the Dayton DC130BS 5 1/4' and the old Dayton 1" Titanium 275-055 loosely based on Wayne J's old DHTs, with surrounds being MTM versions . Subs will be powered by QSC GX5. Mini DSP will be used for initial adjustment and then Audyssey XT32 will stack and tweak as needed (unless i figure out how to do it all in Audyssey).

Thanks!
    Mike

What are you wanting from the subs? Are they strictly ht duty? Do you want quantity and quality, or just loud? How high do they need to play to match the mains and how low do they need to go?
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
      What are you wanting from the subs? Are they strictly ht duty? Do you want quantity and quality, or just loud? How high do they need to play to match the mains and how low do they need to go?
      I'll be crossing over at 80-90Hz. 10% music/90% HT. Looking for around 115 db at 25hz for a large open room. Regarding quality vs quantity, I need quantity of dB for a large room, but the goal is not to sacrifice quality. For similar money I could be into a couple of Reference drivers and have similar output, but I like the idea of a subwoofer array and lots of 12s are cool.

I have been very satisfied with all the paper cone Dayton Audio stuff i've used over the years so the drivers themselves are not lacking to me. I'm not familiar with the GRS stuff, but I don't buy into the mantra of "you get what you pay for" so I'm asking ;)

Thanks

Comment

I really can't get behind a bunch of lousy woofers, I'd rather have two good ones. I'd get a pair of the ultimax or rss subs and grab a couple more when you can afford it. I have had sub line arrays and they were fine but I prefer a distributed sub set up. I use 8- 12" xls subs in 4 dual opposed boxes. These we're the same woofers I had in my array and I much prefer this setup.
        If I were to build new subs now I'd get 4 of those big peerless 15 " subs put them each in a 1 1/2 - 2 cu ft box and call it good.

Comment

How about 4 V.B.S.S. subs (look on AVSforum) using the Dayton PA460 18" sub? This design uses DSP as well from the iNuke amps by behringer.
          $400 for subs and can be powered by one Inuke (or new NX3000D) amp.

Comment

Working...
          X