• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFL-3way. Work in progress

Hi all,

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-classic-3-way

A short status report on the progress for the system:

The mid/tw unit is finished and the 2500 XO-point is validated through measurements today (See attached pictures ). Five components is quite OK, I think.

The woofer unit is finishing in the workshop. Will post pictures when ready in a few days.

Regards//lasse

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid Tw unit 2018-10-30.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1392123Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid tw unit Design 2018-10-31.JPG
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	1392124
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

By the way, hete is a Picture of the woofer units taking shape…

regards//lasse

Name:	Woofer unit in progress.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1392146

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Wow - another Speaker Workshop user. I thought we were all dead lol.

What acoustic slopes are you targeting. If "traditional" LR - you're getting a lot of destructive phase - also xo point not -6dB (if you are intending LR slopes). Attached is an example of my 3 ways
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bullet View Post
        Wow - another Speaker Workshop user. I thought we were all dead lol.

What acoustic slopes are you targeting. If "traditional" LR - you're getting a lot of destructive phase - also xo point not -6dB (if you are intending LR slopes). Attached is an example of my 3 ways
        Hi, Dave,
        yes I have notice the phase issue bit when the measurements were ok, I decided to try the prel XO. Perhaps go up to 3rd order on the tweeter....

The target is LR2

How does your system measure??

regards// lasse

Comment

G'day Lasse,

Attached are sims and actual measurements. The W/M crossover doesn't show the null (polarity reversal) due to limited ability to measure at a low enough gate. I hope to take some better outside measurements.

The crossover has evolved since then (you'll notice the M/T crossover was lower @ 2KHz). The tweeter had issues here and it was preferable to play the mid higher than the tweeter lower.

The slope / dip is intentional as I was struggling to get the speaker sounding right on certain recordings. I came to the conclusion the mix was very forward as well as tweeter issues. A combination of factors. Overall the speaker sounds happier with a 3KHz XO. I might ease this back to 2.5KHz and make flatter. A downward slope however (although not accurate) sounds better to me for the music I listen to. And that is all that matters.

the key takeaway is there is accuracy from my sim as well as measurement - so I can make changes with confidence

Name:	Suboptimal xo - Overall in phase sim vs actual.png
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1392269Click image for larger version

Name:	Suboptimal xo - Overall out of phase sim vs actual.png
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1392270

Comment

Hi Dave,

That really seems to be a successfull design. I am really happy for you, getting that close correlation between sims and measurements. Personally, I would be hesitant to make the high end go up like that, but what you sate is quite true: All that matters is that you think that the sound is right.

But this raises another thought for me and that is why ”bad phase tracking” really is that bad as it is stated in the litterature and on this board.

If the contributions from two drivers in the overlap region result in a flat SPL, disregarding their phases in the region, then what is the problem?

I think that this should be a topic for a separate thread on this board.

Will be back in this thread with pictures on the completed woofer-units for the RFL-3way.

Best regards//lasse

Comment

...and here is a Picture of the finished, but not yet stuffed wooferunits…

regards//lasse

Name:	Basar RFL-3way mindre.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1392310

Attached Files

Comment

Nice work. Are you using metal drivers? If so, mine is also an all metal 3 way. Here's a photo of my measurement / test mule (pre roundovers and driver install). No bracing. Just stuffing and volume (Q tuning) experiments at this stage
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X