Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Crossover design opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover design opinions

My first attempt in creating a crossover. I started with SPL trace for the newest LW5004 and XT19 graphs on PE to generate FRD and ZMA files. I have constructed the Baronettes with the same 2nd order low/high pass topology and have no issues with the sound and lack of perfect phase tracking so I came up with something similar, only a bit higher xover points. Thoughts on this xover? Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ross.stilling; 10-30-2018, 03:30 PM.

That 9dB rise in the bass is baffle step correction, I guess?
    Francis

Comment

Did you run the files thru response modeler? And extract min phase?
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Response modeler...no, I will have to look that up. I have only used PCD so far. Guess I need to watch some tutorial videos or find me someone to walk me through the next steps.
        Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
        Did you run the files thru response modeler? And extract min phase?
        Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes Read thru Paul's site. Lots of great info there for those starting out
          https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy

Comment

PE sells at least TWO XT19s and LW5004s, so . . .
            By your Z (impedance) plot, the woofer (in closed box?) is resonating near 100Hz? (How'd you get that?)

If the downward woofer slope IS your BSC, then I'd reduce it to maybe 1/2 to 2/3rds of what you're showing. (Unpad the tweeter a few dB, then monkey w/the LowPass to get things looking nice.)

Comment

Chris, unless his data includes the baffle diffraction or enclosure effect on the woofer, which it doesn't, any advice on values is moot isn't it?

Comment

Thanks, steering me in the right direction. I've added BS losses following Paul K's tutorial. Padded the tweet a bit less, added a zobel and notch circuit. Added phase info to ZMA, and have the peak at the right frequency. Gone to third order filters at 3k...looks good? Now I'm going to try and get back to something simpler.
                Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                Chris, unless his data includes the baffle diffraction or enclosure effect on the woofer, which it doesn't, any advice on values is moot isn't it?
                Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

You MUST use the 3 offsets (X,Y,Z) in PCD when using min-phase files (as opposed to your own mic measurements). Did you? (If you did, your phase looks real good.)

Comment

I'm sure you mean Paul C and not Paul K.
                    Paul

Originally posted by ross.stilling View Post
                    Thanks, steering me in the right direction. I've added BS losses following Paul K's tutorial. Padded the tweet a bit less, added a zobel and notch circuit. Added phase info to ZMA, and have the peak at the right frequency. Gone to third order filters at 3k...looks good? Now I'm going to try and get back to something simpler. Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

With these two drivers flush mounted on a flat baffle you woofer z will be -.017m

Comment

Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
                        With these two drivers flush mounted on a flat baffle you woofer z will be -.017m
                        Listen to this man about this driver combo.
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I'm looking at a MTM version of my driver combo. I have a 4 ohm rated amp, and I think I'll try running a set of parallel drivers with 80 hz highpass to test the load before committing, but here is the sim'd xover I am entertaining. Thoughts? Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's see what I think I've learned in the past 3-months....

How to use: Response Modeler - Check
                            Diffraction & Boundary Simulator - Check
                            FRD Response Blender - Check
                            PCD woofer offsets - Check

Generosity and patience of Forum Members - Check, Check, Check

Click image for larger version

Name:	LW5004 Measurements vs Sim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1404551 I've convinced myself that the newer Dynavox Drivers measure very close to the published FR graphs. I have not taken my own measurements, but received some from well regarded designers on this forum - Green is a Sim from PE trace, Blue and Red are measured.

I'd like to revisit my design here and ask for input again. I plan on buying these components to make two speakers, assemble crossovers, and take measurements in my space to corroborate the simulation translates to real world. I'm thinking at first to get the iMM 6 mic and extension cord to use with a laptop. . Design details on components are in the attached PDF for comments: LW5004_XT19BuildMe.pdf If all looks good, I'm going to make 3 more of these for a 5.1 system. They will be sealed 8L net volume. A sub will fill in everything below 80Hz.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ross.stilling; 02-24-2019, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	LW5004XT19.gif
Views:	1
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1404340

Comment

Working...
                              X