Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

What enclosure design is this? Horn or t line?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What enclosure design is this? Horn or t line?

Guys, quick one, there is talk online that this is a maze design, which I think it's more a horn.....but I won't pretend I know I'm curious on how to size one as I want to try the woodworking technique using a router and a template

i also thought I could have done my t line this was and doubled the "folds" length as suggested by others.
    Attached Files

If the driver goes in the square sector, and on the same side as the 'flared port exit', then it is a back-loaded horn. It's popular with full range drivers like Fostex, Lowther, and such. Some might call it a 'labyrinth' design, but I've never heard it called a 'maze' (which I know is virtually the same thing linguistically), but both of those usually refer to a folded up TL or horn approach.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      If the driver goes in the square sector, and on the same side as the 'flared port exit', then it is a back-loaded horn. It's popular with full range drivers like Fostex, Lowther, and such. Some might call it a 'labyrinth' design, but I've never heard it called a 'maze' (which I know is virtually the same thing linguistically), but both of those usually refer to a folded up TL or horn approach.

Later,
      Wolf
      Cheers, I'll have a look at the rear loaded horn and the benefits of this design online. Seeing that i am almost finished the BT speaker and my hifi cabinet, I have at least a month of research time, would be nice to try a different full range driver but I would also have to find a use for it around my house first

I have caught a woodworking bug with traces of loud speaker unfortunately.....

Comment

Technically-speaking, it looks like an expanding 1/4 wave resonator. The mouth is too small to act as a "horn" at low frequencies. As it's also end-loaded, it's like to have a huge notch in its passband. As such, it's the type of design I would avoid, if I was designing something for full-range use.
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

What is it? Too short to work.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
            Technically-speaking, it looks like an expanding 1/4 wave resonator. The mouth is too small to act as a "horn" at low frequencies. As it's also end-loaded, it's like to have a huge notch in its passband. As such, it's the type of design I would avoid, if I was designing something for full-range use.
            Thanks, I don't actually have this design, also he is using some cheapo PC speakers, I was more interested in maze or labrynth (horn/t line) style. I'll have to figure out what driver and then a sizing and style. I really just want to make a template and then layer an enclosure to be honest.... but it must be functional

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

Working...
            X