Ferrofluid and Ultimax 10?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrofluid and Ultimax 10?

Just over a year ago, I purchased another Ultimax 10 so that I would have a pair to go under the rear seat of my truck. My newer sub sounded much better than the older one, as the old one had the dreaded clacking noise from day one at less than 5mm of x-max or so. About 2 weeks ago, I was listening to some classic rock, Dire Straits I think it was at low to moderate volume, then I left to pick up my daughter from school and turned it off. After starting some music after I picked her up, there was no sound from the sub at all. I took it out of the box and tested each coil and one was dead. I got an RA number and sent it off. Friday PE got it and by this morning they had told me they were warrantying it. I thought that is what they would say, as I literally did nothing to kill it. Before I sent it off, I had noticed it had some light brown liquid that looked like glue that had dripped down. I get an email just a little bit ago and they said that a tech had inspected it and that there was Ferro-fluid on the sub. They said they would warranty it this time, but the next no dice because of the -ferro-fluid "I" had put on it. I googled Ferro-fluid and it appears in was only used on tweeters by some people. The day I bought the Ultimax 10 last October, I put it in my truck with a 500 watt Avionixx amp. I did not add any fluid to the sub or do anything to modify it in any way. I am perplexed. Has anyone else seen this substance on their sub and where could have it came from. I want to send my other Ultimax 10 in, but I am afraid I will never see it again I they dent my claim because of a 'foreign oil' on it.

It's an odd claim by PE, because you can't easily add ferrofluid to a driver. It's usually employed in compression driver horn loaded tweeters and midranges, applied by removing the diaphragm/voice coil from the driver. You can't do that with a UM10.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

True, it's not like you can remove the motor by itself and separate from the frame with all the soft parts intact.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
        It's an odd claim by PE, because you can't easily add ferrofluid to a driver. It's usually employed in compression driver horn loaded tweeters and midranges, applied by removing the diaphragm/voice coil from the driver. You can't do that with a UM10.
        I really have never taken a sub apart and I've only seen a few recones by others on YouTube, so there is no possible way I could have gotten it apart and put it back together without it looking an ice carving using dynamite, lol. On a side note could you PM me, I am ready to do the Tuba HT and was wanting to know if I could Paypal you few extra dollars if you will print the plans and mail them to me because of my stupid printer.

Comment

I would agree that adding FF by the consumer is not even a remotely easy process with the UM series. To my knowledge, the UM do not contain FF to start with either, as the application is not something that works well with these long-throw motor/coil systems. It is typically applied to a shorter coil system to avoid the splashing of said FF out of the gap and onto other places.

I'd call again, and ask for another person. Seems like this was a misdiagnosis to me.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I just want to say that Part-Express is great company and I won't hesitate to order from them in the future. I am amazed they can sell the Ultimax for the price they do. There is nothing with the same linear excursion and low FS that is even in the same price range. I'm hoping I can swing an Ultimax 18 and Dayton 1000 plate or rack mounted amp after my 40th on the 29th of this month. I am amazed with my Ultimax 15 and Dayton DVC 15. I plan on using BFM's Tuba HT in the corner of my HT room and the UM 18 and 15 along my side wall, as all three places are the 3 highest peak spots, by ear anyways.

Comment

It's a great driver that I would happily pay $20 more if they could weed out the ones that have issues for tighter QC at the factory. Who ever runs the glue bead at the triple joint needs both a raise and proper training.

Comment

If that is true it sounds very sketchy.....Only 2 possibilities is that someone put FF in and or someone is lying.

I had a problem with shipping and there price differences and the best answer I got was > often times shipping prices does not make sense but we ship at the minimum amount "BASED" on weight and size.

Comment

Would Ferrofluid become hard over a period of time? I did not touch what I saw, but it looked to be a solid, like glue would be. Light brown in color. I don't how anyone could have messed with it after I got it. The meth heads that surround me on two sides of my property would have just stolen it.

Comment

I am not blaming you as I believe you had nothing to do with it......the only other possibility is it was a error/fault in the manufacturing process and or someone tampered with it before it reached your door step.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
                      I am not blaming you as I believe you had nothing to do with it......the only other possibility is it was a error/fault in the manufacturing process and or someone tampered with it before it reached your door step.
                      What is weird is that it worked fine for over a year. I didn't take you as blaming me. It is hard to tell tone online, but I was laughing about the meth heads. I actually had to confront a naked dude whacked out when he was breaking in my neighbor's car. Naked, covered in mud, thought someone had his girlfriend kidnapped and he was trying to get to her before they put her in a wood chipper, out on bail from another county, and the coup de gras was that his dad was a lawyer and he got no jail time in my county. The only thing that saved his life was that he just wanted to get away and not fight me.

Comment

Lacquer on the VC get hot and leak out? Was it stinky ?

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas_23 View Post
                          Lacquer on the VC get hot and leak out? Was it stinky ?
                          That's my vote. Isn't that how they end up setting up the voice coils during the winding process, where they brush on "electrical" sealer/laquer? Could have sworn I saw that in a youtube vid . Perhaps they were meant to be heat/oven cured, but it wasn't?

*sigh*, even with these slight issues, I'll still be getting some more of these since they have the most reasonable (lowest) Vas on a 10" that incorporates a good motor and excellent soft-parts, and good quality "in general", when they come out good.

Comment

Why does the "lowest Vas" interest you?

Comment

I am going to implement multiple 10's in one enclosure, and I purposefully wish to minimize the required enclosure size for my specific F3 requirement, at the known expense of needing a lot of amplifier power due to the low sensitivity that accompanies the low Vas (generally speaking).
                              Last edited by guitar maestro; 11-08-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X