Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help change the life of a man in his quest for quality sound

Hello world!

I have been following several of the builds posted here and finally worked up the courage (realistically put aside procrastination), to ask you legends some questions.

--------
    A bit of background (please skip if you prefer), I have been installing audio systems in cars, homes, and boats as a side business for a couple years, and as a hobby for atleast 8 years prior.

My lust for quality audio has been a catch and release relationship over this time. I have installed some great sound systems (not to boast, but to build a comparison), and have sat intranced in the sounds of Pink Floyd's Dogs eminating from Focal K2's while the customer patiently waited for their car back.

I would later go home and "salk" over my dell speakers. As I am a young fellow (26), any money I have made doing this side work has been reinvested into the business and other investments. Maybe its time for my ears to receive some gratification outside of work.

----------

​​​​​​This leads me to the questions you so patiently have been waiting for. But first, more background/possibly necessary info:

​​​​​​Basic overview:

1. I live in an apartment with concrete floors, no one below, one person above, and one shared wall. The walls are separated, but sound can still travel a bit when about the 75 dB range. However, my neighbors are pretty cool so I'm not super concerned about complaints from vocal travel.

2. I listen to jazz, funk, soul, classic rock, electronic, hip hop, and so on. So a wide frequency range would be ideal

3. I have a Cambridge Audio subwoofer but rarely use it (as to not piss off the neighbors)

4. The listening position is roughly 7 feet from the speakers

5. I am okay with bookshelves or tower speakers
    6. I am interested in Ribbon Tweeters, although not a must have

7. Budget is around $600 canadian pesos

8. I like to build and troubleshooting electronics is apart of my job so totally pumped to build the crossovers and enclosures.

So far here are my top picks:

​​​​​​Statement's, Wolf Nephila's, and The Singularities.

I looked at the Nephila kit on Meniscus, but was not sure about the capacitors/inductors included, unless someone could quickly vouch for them, as I have read the choice in caps can have a noticeable effect on the RT-5002s. I am cool with buying the components individually. I found most of them on Solen, but lost my cart and would have to re-find them (face palm)

​​​​
    Actual Question:

1. What recommendations do you have regarding speaker designs/kits, keeping in mind I would love to play at 93 db sometimes ;)

​​​
    Thank you so much for taking time to read this and for any tips or answers you may have :D
    ​​​​​​

According to the Meniscus kit write up, the capacitors in the kit conform to Wolf's wishes. I'm sure he will clarify.

I had the Singularities, just got rid of them. Nice, but awful big. Narrow physical window for treble.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
      According to the Meniscus kit write up, the capacitors in the kit conform to Wolf's wishes. I'm sure he will clarify.

I had the Singularities, just got rid of them. Nice, but awful big. Narrow physical window for treble.
      Thanks, good to know about the Singularities.

Comment

I imagine any of your choices could play at 93 dB without much issue, but for the sake of completeness, what sort of amplifier and other gear do you intend to use with the system? You say you have a subwoofer that may or may not be used, what model is it?

Seven feet might be a little close to listen to the statements given the open back mids. I'm sure someone who is more familiar with them could weigh in.

Comment

Originally posted by technodanvan View Post
          I imagine any of your choices could play at 93 dB without much issue, but for the sake of completeness, what sort of amplifier and other gear do you intend to use with the system? You say you have a subwoofer that may or may not be used, what model is it?

Seven feet might be a little close to listen to the statements given the open back mids. I'm sure someone who is more familiar with them could weigh in.
          Hey thanks for the reply,

The subwoofer is a Cambridge America 10 inch sealed active subwoofer. Don't have the model number with me. Same goes for the Onkyo 5.1 channel receiver which will be powering the speakers. I'll get the model info tomorrow and post it. I'm out of town at the moment.

Comment

I concur that your room is a bit small for the Statements, The Singularities do likely have a narrow sweet spot for upper range being a full range setup. The Nephila would likely be okay at 7-8', but I also wonder about your position from the wall behind your intended placement. Are you going to have them about 3' from all walls? Less? I generally design for free-standing placement at about a 3' x 3' distance from the drivers to the walls, and for listening with the drivers pointed at you and not straight forward.

The reason I chose the caps I did for the kit was due to what Meniscus had available. And yes- it 'was not subtle' to quote Rory about the difference between the 2 I had installed inside to switch between. If you are ordering from Solen, I would like to hope you might order from PartsConnexion instead due to more variety and definitely to not use Solen caps on the AMT. Notice I did not link the websites here, as that is against PE's T&C, and competes with their bottom line. Of what PCX have, I would recommend MultiCap PPMFX, Mundorf Supreme (standard range), or maybe the Obbligato golds. Axon = Solen, and do use them in the woofer shunt. PPMFX are closest to the SoniCaps the kit comes with. I've never heard a Mundorf I didn't like, and I've not personally used the Obb' stuff at all. Some of the other caps available can be bright, so I've not listed those. The ClarityCap CSA or SA would be okay, but I find they sound less spacious over what I recommended. The Auricap would be okay too, but their prices are a lot higher than they used to be. If you could swing a Jantzen Superior or Silver from PE, those would also be recommended. Normal round wire air-cores recommended, in 15-16AWG for DCR reasons.

Hope that helps, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Since you already have a Cambridge audio sub you can make some DML panels that can play from 100hz and up.

Here are some beginner DML panel designs you can use.

http://projectgallery.parts-express....eo/2-1-junior

http://projectgallery.parts-express/speaker-projects/dml-flat-panel/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                I concur that your room is a bit small for the Statements, The Singularities do likely have a narrow sweet spot for upper range being a full range setup. The Nephila would likely be okay at 7-8', but I also wonder about your position from the wall behind your intended placement. Are you going to have them about 3' from all walls? Less? I generally design for free-standing placement at about a 3' x 3' distance from the drivers to the walls, and for listening with the drivers pointed at you and not straight forward.

The reason I chose the caps I did for the kit was due to what Meniscus had available. And yes- it 'was not subtle' to quote Rory about the difference between the 2 I had installed inside to switch between. If you are ordering from Solen, I would like to hope you might order from PartsConnexion instead due to more variety and definitely to not use Solen caps on the AMT. Notice I did not link the websites here, as that is against PE's T&C, and competes with their bottom line. Of what PCX have, I would recommend MultiCap PPMFX, Mundorf Supreme (standard range), or maybe the Obbligato golds. Axon = Solen, and do use them in the woofer shunt. PPMFX are closest to the SoniCaps the kit comes with. I've never heard a Mundorf I didn't like, and I've not personally used the Obb' stuff at all. Some of the other caps available can be bright, so I've not listed those. The ClarityCap CSA or SA would be okay, but I find they sound less spacious over what I recommended. The Auricap would be okay too, but their prices are a lot higher than they used to be. If you could swing a Jantzen Superior or Silver from PE, those would also be recommended. Normal round wire air-cores recommended, in 15-16AWG for DCR reasons.

Hope that helps, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance,
                Wolf
                Wow, what a wealth of information! Thank you for that.

The speakers will be about 1.5 feet from the wall (max distance I can pull them away from the wall). Do you think there may be another kit that would better suit these conditions?

I didn't know that about Solen. Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
                  Since you already have a Cambridge audio sub you can make some DML panels that can play from 100hz and up.

Here are some beginner DML panel designs you can use.

http://projectgallery.parts-express....eo/2-1-junior

http://projectgallery.parts-express/speaker-projects/dml-flat-panel/
                  Thanks for that. Would be great for my bedroom. I'm looking for a more traditional 2.1 stereo setups in my living room

Comment

If your amp can handle 4 ohm loads, I would recommend the Paul Carmody designed S2000 MTM, from diysg. DIYsoundgroup. PE sells some of the kits from them, and I believe also sources some of their flat packs from them. They are just down the road in Cincinnati.

I am using S2000 TMs and one MTM for my downsized HT. You can buy the flat pack or make your own enclosure. All DIYsg kits come with a cnc'd baffle, which is very convenient. Excellent service. In your setup, these would need stands.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      If your amp can handle 4 ohm loads, I would recommend the Paul Carmody designed S2000 MTM, from diysg. DIYsoundgroup. PE sells some of the kits from them, and I believe also sources some of their flat packs from them. They are just down the road in Cincinnati.

I am using S2000 TMs and one MTM for my downsized HT. You can buy the flat pack or make your own enclosure. All DIYsg kits come with a cnc'd baffle, which is very convenient. Excellent service. In your setup, these would need stands.
                      I just read the thread about them. Very impressive.

As for amp, I'm concidering buying an amp kit from AliExpress. Some cool ones on there. Any thoughts?

Comment

No, haven't looked. If it's chipamps they are good for 4 ohms generally.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGarison View Post

As for amp, I'm concidering buying an amp kit from AliExpress. Some cool ones on there. Any thoughts?
                          You might want to consider an amp kit from PE. They have plenty and you get their guarantee and tech support. Nothing against AliExpress, but I know PE stands behind their products and offers great tech support.
                          Mike
                          "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                          Bismarck, North Dakota
                          My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                          My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Originally posted by technodanvan View Post

so, subwoofer is a Cambridge SoundWorks Basscube12S which keeps blowing caps (I'll get the O-scope out sometime soon :P).
                            The amp is a Onkyo TX-SR503. Looks like its only 75 W/ch @ min 8 ohm, so I may just use it as the preamp.

Comment

Statements come in many sizes.

Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
                              X