No announcement yet.

Help change the life of a man in his quest for quality sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have access to tools to make your own cabinets?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
      Do you have access to tools to make your own cabinets?
      Yea, full woodshop and metal shop (pay monthly to access it). I have designed and built a few sealed and vented subwoofer enclosures before.

Comment

There's still one rather special tool you might need, a circle cutting jig used with a plunge router, that's how the nice rebated driver holes are done. It's why a premade baffle is so attractive to many.

Paul Carmody's Speedster design has a ribbon tweeter, is available with or without flat pack, would fit your budget. Interesting speaker. Ooops, Canada, forgot.

Speedster - undefinition

Comment

There's still one rather special tool you might need, a circle cutting jig used with a plunge router, that's how the nice rebated driver holes are done. It's why a premade baffle is so attractive to many.

Paul Carmody's Speedster design has a ribbon tweeter, is available with or without flat pack, would fit your budget. Interesting speaker. Ooops, Canada, forgot.

Speedster - undefinition
          lol, getting the parts wont be an issue regardless. Just a tad more expensive, but all relative, what with free health care and all :P

I do like those. I think I like the s2000MTM's a tad more tho.

Check out the posted amplifier links if you have a sec

2. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...6ed21e98r2ikOQ

3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LMJ-...4-0ded923c133a

I like the idea of being able to swap out components/caps by going with a kit/cheaper amp.
          Cheap Digital-to-Analog Converter, Buy Directly from China Suppliers:ES9038 ES9028PRO ES9018 DAC audio decoder Amanero USB interface Support DSD coaxial optical with Remote Control Shield USB cable Enjoy ✓Free Shipping Worldwide! ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Easy Return.

Comment

The S2000's look like a solid choice. We have built a ton down here in Windsor, ON and Jeff B's Tributes are really great! Consider them too.

Comment

Our benevolent host does not permit links to other sources, but if the links are not to an item directly competitive to their products, they might let it slide. If they don't like it, they'll delete the links.

If you like building electronics and populating circuit boards, go for it. I'm not competent to judge those products.

Edit: the S2000 carbon fiber woofer is proprietary to DIYsg, no other source.

Comment

Our benevolent host does not permit links to other sources, but if the links are not to an item directly competitive to their products, they might let it slide. If they don't like it, they'll delete the links.

If you like building electronics and populating circuit boards, go for it. I'm not competent to judge those products.

Edit: the S2000 carbon fiber woofer is proprietary to DIYsg, no other source.
                Good to know, I wasn't able to find them on the site. If they want them deleted, I completely understand.

Very interesting regarding the s2000 woofer. I live within an hour of the Sumas border crossing (with Washington). Could ship and hold state side maybe

Comment

Yes, excellent idea. FYI, DIYsg uses Paypal and ships Fedex.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGarison View Post

Good to know, I wasn't able to find them on the site. If they want them deleted, I completely understand.

Very interesting regarding the s2000 woofer. I live within an hour of the Sumas border crossing (with Washington). Could ship and hold state side maybe
                    I ship all my parts to Colville, WA as my folks live on the other side of the border in BC. Saves a bundle!!

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                      The S2000's look like a solid choice. We have built a ton down here in Windsor, ON and Jeff B's Tributes are really great! Consider them too.
                      hey, which one's are the Jeff B tribute? I'm trying to find them

Comment

Go to Meniscus and search for Tributes or Google and search for Jeff Bagby Tributes speakers

Comment

Originally posted by MrGarison View Post

hey, which one's are the Jeff B tribute? I'm trying to find them
                          here is some info
                          https://app.box.com/s/1fnro0kvyekdl3drm0w1

Comment

Okay. After literally days of research, these are my final options.

Question is, would the Nephila's or S2000MTM's work better for my situation?

Amplifier: (in case anyone is curious):
                            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...3a043c00F5b4kv

Wrt the amplifier, I will probably change out the power supply to a variable one, something closer to 36Vdc. Also, likely changing out the internal opamp to BB2134.

Comment

Same thing with 36V brick, free shipping (US) and a solid guarantee. Their only guarantee is that it's what they say it is, and that you receive it. Of course swapping chips voids that. The S2000s would be smaller and much easier to build. I built one MTM in 2 days with a painted baffle and danish oil birch flat pack.

The Nephilia I've never heard, Wolf's designs are well received.

You know the chip amp power ratings are inflated.

SMSL SA-98E TDA7498E Stereo Amplifier 2 x 160W

Comment

Same thing with 36V brick, free shipping (US) and a solid guarantee. Their only guarantee is that it's what they say it is, and that you receive it. Of course swapping chips voids that. The S2000s would be smaller and much easier to build. I built one MTM in 2 days with a painted baffle and danish oil birch flat pack.

The Nephilia I've never heard, Wolf's design are well received.

You know the chip amp power ratings are inflated.

SMSL SA-98E TDA7498E Stereo Amplifier 2 x 160W
                                That's a good call, never saw it. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X